Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #70233
View in linear mode

Subject: "over heat at idle-PICS" Previous topic | Next topic
xtrickedeclipsexMay-02-04 06:21 AM
Member since Oct 12th 2003
620 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70233, "over heat at idle-PICS"
May-02-04 06:22 AM by xtrickedeclipsex

I do not get this...

we put in the 160 thermo last night, water wetter, put new coolant in the raditor, and still it over heats at idle...i dont see how it could be a fan problem becuase i have a fan on there that pulls 3000 cfm....heres some pics of my fan....why do i only over heat when it sits at idle? and not when driving

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: over heat at idle-PICS, GhEttOrAiD, May-02-04 07:02 AM, #1
RE: over heat at idle-PICS, xtrickedeclipsex, May-02-04 07:43 AM, #2
      RE: over heat at idle-PICS, GhEttOrAiD, May-02-04 08:09 AM, #3
           RE: over heat at idle-PICS, xtrickedeclipsex, May-02-04 08:27 AM, #4
                RE: over heat at idle-PICS, Dave41079, May-02-04 11:05 AM, #5
                     RE: over heat at idle-PICS, alain95i4, May-02-04 01:39 PM, #6
                          RE: over heat at idle-PICS, Chamuko, May-02-04 02:28 PM, #7
                               RE: over heat at idle-PICS, BoostedGS, May-02-04 02:32 PM, #8
                               RE: over heat at idle-PICS, xtrickedeclipsex, May-02-04 10:30 PM, #11
RE: over heat at idle-PICS, Teamner947, May-02-04 03:13 PM, #9
RE: over heat at idle-PICS, Initial DSM, May-02-04 05:38 PM, #10
      RE: over heat at idle-PICS, xtrickedeclipsex, May-02-04 10:32 PM, #12
           RE: over heat at idle-PICS, BoostedGS, May-03-04 03:22 AM, #13
                RE: over heat at idle-PICS, WheatKing, May-03-04 04:51 AM, #14
                     RE: over heat at idle-PICS, Teametx, May-03-04 05:17 AM, #15
                          RE: over heat at idle-PICS, 95GSEclipse, May-03-04 03:41 PM, #16
                          RE: over heat at idle-PICS, 2g99RSNC, May-03-04 04:17 PM, #17
                          RE: over heat at idle-PICS, xtrickedeclipsex, May-03-04 08:02 PM, #18
                               RE: over heat at idle-PICS, Eclipse2NR, May-03-04 09:08 PM, #19
                                    RE: over heat at idle-PICS, 2g99RSNC, May-03-04 11:41 PM, #20
                                         RE: over heat at idle-PICS, TeamXtremeRS, May-04-04 02:23 PM, #21
                                              RE: over heat at idle-PICS, xtrickedeclipsex, May-04-04 08:48 PM, #22
                                                   RE: over heat at idle-PICS, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, May-05-04 12:38 PM, #23
                                                   RE: over heat at idle-PICS, TeamXtremeRS, May-05-04 02:00 PM, #24
                                                        RE: over heat at idle-PICS, customrsturbo, May-05-04 02:51 PM, #25
                                                             RE: over heat at idle-PICS, xtrickedeclipsex, May-05-04 05:04 PM, #26
                                                                  RE: over heat at idle-PICS, babybeclipse, May-05-04 05:48 PM, #27
                                                                       RE: over heat at idle-PICS, xtrickedeclipsex, May-07-04 11:20 PM, #31
                          RE: over heat at idle-PICS, turbo8u, May-05-04 08:56 PM, #28
                               RE: over heat at idle-Pics-******VIDEO NOW!!!!!!!!****, xtrickedeclipsex, May-05-04 09:45 PM, #29
                                    RE: over heat at idle-Pics-******VIDEO NOW!!!!!!!!****, xtrickedeclipsex, May-06-04 06:06 AM, #30
                                         RE: over heat at idle-Pics-******VIDEO NOW!!!!!!!!****, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, May-08-04 01:38 AM, #32
                                              RE: over heat at idle-Pics-******VIDEO NOW!!!!!!!!****, xtrickedeclipsex, May-08-04 07:36 AM, #33
                                                   RE: over heat at idle-Pics-******VIDEO NOW!!!!!!!!****, BoostedGS, May-08-04 01:02 PM, #34

GhEttOrAiDMay-02-04 07:02 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
1226 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70235, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 0
May-02-04 07:05 AM by GhEttOrAiD

that fan scares me... just get a couple of FAL's or something... :

its also unshrouded... which means its not necessarily pulling air through where it should

the fan only turns on at idle (or it should...at least) unless you have it switched... can you turn it on manually/let it idle/then it overheats?

maybe try flushing it

FS: 2.5" Test Pipe 25 shipped

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

xtrickedeclipsexMay-02-04 07:43 AM
620 posts,
#70239, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 1

the fan is always on...always....

im thinking of getting a smaller fan, but it gets so hot on that side it will prolly just melt

arggg

GhEttOrAiDMay-02-04 08:09 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
1226 posts,
#70240, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 2
May-02-04 08:10 AM by GhEttOrAiD

get 2x FAL black magic fans... theyre shrouded, very low profile compared to that beast..

having the fan on all the time is a bad idea... drains a lot of power, and there IS such a thing as too much cooling... but in your case ... you must have a blockage in the system or.. a bad water pump?

did it overheat this badly with the 195* thermostat? are you sure you installed the thermostat properly?

FS: 2.5" Test Pipe 25 shipped

xtrickedeclipsexMay-02-04 08:27 AM
620 posts,
#70242, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 3
May-02-04 08:28 AM by xtrickedeclipsex

well i cant even get any cooling..

we had no thermo in there for a while, so it would just cycle the coolant thro, but everyone said it was a bad idea...i dont see why...

so i put the thermo in...nothing much changed

same thing, over heat when it idled for a while...i doubt its the water pump

Dave41079May-02-04 11:05 AM
Member since Jul 30th 2002
485 posts,
#70248, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 4

The fan needs to be sealed against the radiator in order to draw air through it. Otherwise it will be pulling air in from the sides, since it will take the path of least resistance.

Lets just say this... I'm over 100whp and soon to cross 200whp. Thanx 2GNT! Now if I could only learn to prove it.

alain95i4May-02-04 01:39 PM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
794 posts,
#70257, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 5

are you sure it's a real overheating problem ?

or just the stupid sensor that feed a signal to the gauge in the dash that's not busted

they are not the most realiable part the largest one on the thermostat housing is the real sensor for the computer
the smaller one feed the gauge in the dash
change it and before starting to spend $$$$ elsewhere

Alain

one of the 2.4 true pionners

ChamukoMay-02-04 02:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#70258, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 6

Does the coolant buble? In the reservoir i mean. Also is the leve the same or are you loosing some?

My HG leaked into the cylinders that caused my prob. NOT saying thats your prob but, it could be a possibility.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

BoostedGSMay-02-04 02:32 PM
Member since Jun 30th 2002
1329 posts,
#70259, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Chamuko
Does the coolant buble? In the reservoir i mean. Also is the leve the same or are you loosing some? My HG leaked into the cylinders that caused my prob. NOT saying thats your prob but, it could be a possibility.

That's what I was gonna say too. If the coolant is bubbling out of your overflow resevoir, it's probably the headgasket. My car is doing the same thing.

You are not your job.
You're not how much money you have in the bank.
You're not the car you drive.
You're not the contents of your wallet.
You're not your fu**ing post count.

97 Eclipse GS - *SOLD*
01 Audi A6 2.7T
01 YZF-R6

xtrickedeclipsexMay-02-04 10:30 PM
620 posts,
#70275, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 7

Hey thanks for all the replies

OK...I have alot of info and answers....

1. YES, ill take the Radiator cap off, put the funnel in, poor in some coolant, and it WILL bubble...and it keeps doing it…
2. We did have a shroud around it, it was nice…But it was rattling against my IC piping, and other shit, so we took it off… It still was over heating with the shroud
3. Yes, im sure its not the sensor, because I have two different ones, the stock one, and an after market temp sensor
4. We flushed it. still no luck
5. ****Today, we took my friends GST radiator, custom made some radiator hoses, got it all in and snug, bought 2 850 and 950 cfm fans. Those have no gap, they are nice and snug against it….The GST radiator is like twice the size of ours, I thought this would help …STILL NO LUCK!!! It still was over heating…***** We put new coolant and everything…arggg!!!

I see my problem as one of 3 possibilities…
1. This head gasket leaking….How else could I test to see if it is bad? Is that going to totaly f*uk my new motor???? It’s a new head gasket…Could you please give me some more info, I don’t know anything about this…it sounds like it could be my problem…any info please would be awesome…
2. My water pump going out…this could be the problem, what do you think?
3. I still need some better fans (in my mind, this one seems to be ruled out, I had one 3000 cfm fan….now I have those others, nothing changed)

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE!

Teamner947May-02-04 03:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#70261, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 0

Dude, that is a CRAZY fan. I like it. Looks wicked DIY. Shroud that thing and it looks like it would just fine. 15 minutes and a few pieces of sheet metal might solve your overheating problems.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Initial DSMMay-02-04 05:38 PM
Member since Sep 23rd 2003
2833 posts,
#70267, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 9
May-02-04 05:39 PM by Initial DSM

flush your radiator and check all your hoses for gunk buildup; also check your temp sensor.

xtrickedeclipsexMay-02-04 10:32 PM
620 posts,
#70276, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 10

Hey thanks for all the replies

OK...I have alot of info and answers....

1. YES, ill take the Radiator cap off, put the funnel in, poor in some coolant, and it WILL bubble...and it keeps doing it…
2. We did have a shroud around it, it was nice…But it was rattling against my IC piping, and other shit, so we took it off… It still was over heating with the shroud
3. Yes, im sure its not the sensor, because I have two different ones, the stock one, and an after market temp sensor
4. We flushed it. still no luck
5. ****Today, we took my friends GST radiator, custom made some radiator hoses, got it all in and snug, bought 2 850 and 950 cfm fans. Those have no gap, they are nice and snug against it….The GST radiator is like twice the size of ours, I thought this would help …STILL NO LUCK!!! It still was over heating…***** We put new coolant and everything…arggg!!!

I see my problem as one of 3 possibilities…
1. This head gasket leaking….How else could I test to see if it is bad? Is that going to totaly f*uk my new motor???? It’s a new head gasket…Could you please give me some more info, I don’t know anything about this…it sounds like it could be my problem…any info please would be awesome…
2. My water pump going out…this could be the problem, what do you think?
3. I still need some better fans (in my mind, this one seems to be ruled out, I had one 3000 cfm fan….now I have those others, nothing changed)

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE!

BoostedGSMay-03-04 03:22 AM
1329 posts,
#70277, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 12

Ok, to check to make sure your water pump is working: take out the thermostat then put the housing back together and run the car without it and keep the radiator cap off and look in. If you can see coolant flowing, your water pump is working.

The best way to check the headgasket is a leakdown test. You pressurize each cylinder and listen/look for escaping air. On my car, the air is escaping into the coolant passages and making the coolant bubble from the radiator cap opening. You have a new headgasket, but if it's not torqued down enough or not sealed fully in one spot, it's gonna leak.

You are not your job.

97 Eclipse GS - *SOLD*
01 Audi A6 2.7T
01 YZF-R6

WheatKingMay-03-04 04:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#70279, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 13

lemme post the arsehole remark.. i've seen it happen..

The brass plug of the thermostat goes INTO the engine block.. if you can see the brass plug.. the thermostat is in backwards..

now that that is out of the way.. check to see if your rad is getting hot..

if it's barely warm.. and it's overheating, your waterpump is dead OR you have an airlock somewhere in the block/head.

take the thermostat out completely.. that will eliminate it as a problem.

-- WheatKing

-- DSM Junkie --
4 - 1G talons
4 - Avenger/sebrings
1 - Jeep to tow em home when they break

TeametxMay-03-04 05:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#70282, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 14

Or try revving your motor up to about 3500 rpm and see if your coolant temp drops. If it does your water pump is probably dieing.

95GSEclipseMay-03-04 03:41 PM
Member since Sep 08th 2003
662 posts,
#70311, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 15

i would say check the water pump and the pressure cap....i did a bunch of work on my brother cavi becuase it was overheating...i changed the thermostate, then the radaitor...then the head gasket + water pump and it still fuckin overheated...then we changed the pressure cap and it stopped after a day....he never thought about telling me that the day it started overheating that coolant came gushing out the cap....check them out though...i had coolant boiling in my overflow so i changed the cap and it hasnt ever since

Klein567 - Ya i heard about that ticket you and Sean got.
Clint485 - Stupid chick cop...worst part was she looked like a dude.
Klein567- Thats becuase all hot cops are strippers

2g99RSNCMay-03-04 04:17 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
894 posts,
#70318, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 16

with the type of fan u r running u have to have a shroud. it doesnt matter how many cfm it has it can pull shit through u radiator unless it has a shroud. thats why it fine when ur driving and got airflow through u radiator. so just get a shroud and u'll be fine
trust me on this we just went over all this crap at school nascar technical institue. for best flow get a shroud where the blades r half from the front and half from the rear for maxium flow

^^Work in progress pic
www.fastfabrications.com

xtrickedeclipsexMay-03-04 08:02 PM
620 posts,
#70322, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 16
May-03-04 08:05 PM by xtrickedeclipsex

Yesyesyes...Mine does the same thing, after i turn the car off, i hear the shit boiling bad in my over flow...
Well as far as i no the cap is fine, nothing leaks, it seals right...we replaced it about 2 months ago...What cap are you talking about????????

Im **NOT** using that 3000 CFM fan any more...a fan bald bent , took the fan and my raditor out...So we have a GST raditor on my car now, with two 850, 950 cfm fans..They are Shrouded, and perfect...The temps now seem to be more stable, while driving it stays right around 200-205, on a hot day it will start to over heat tho...

IS that was you guys are at?

Once i put those fans, with the gst raditor on, IT STILL OVER HEATS, BUT NOT AS FAST AS BEFORE...Now im thinking if i get two , 2000 cfm fans, the slim line ones, that may help...Were almost positive its not the head gasket, (i would be leaking compression, but my compression is fine), the water pump is new....

BTW: this may be related....I have this tublar mani...After i have been driving a bit, it GLOWS..is that normal for that type of mani, or would that mean im running way to lean????

thanks for everyones helP!!

Eclipse2NRMay-03-04 09:08 PM
Member since Nov 25th 2002
581 posts,
#70324, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 18

Thats a crazy manifold. Did you find out if your water pump is working? Stay calm, and systematically check one component at a time, and completely rule it out before checking the next one.

Good luck.

1996 Eclipse RS / 5-Speed / Aerogear Body / Coated in Magnetic Red Metallic rev.2 / T3 Turbo Intercooled @ 8 psi / More at http://home.insightbb.com/~mgalyan/
Mark Galyan - Indianapolis, Indiana

2g99RSNCMay-03-04 11:41 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
894 posts,
#70326, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 19

i think with a gst radiator it uses a cap which has a higher pressure which means it would cause the water to boil at a higher temp which u would think would be good but in most cases its best to use the factory pressure rating on the radiator cap that came with ur car. its weird but having the higher pressure cap can cause ur car to over heat.

^^Work in progress pic
www.fastfabrications.com

TeamXtremeRSMay-04-04 02:23 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#70343, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 20

Like mentioned before, are you SURE your thermostat is in properly? Using stock radiator and stock fans, you should NEVER overheat at idle..if you are using a GST radiator, and high volume fans, and still overheating, something is def not right at all..Does your driver side fan come on at all when idling? The ECU turns the driver side fan on at around 206 degrees. It turns off at around 195 degrees or so. If you fan is not turning on at all, then that is your problem. Since you are not moving, there is no airflow over the radiator, which means the fan NEEDS to turn on at some point, which is should be doing at 206 degrees. If its not, then that is your problem. If your fan is turning on, and still overheating, then something is just not right. Do you get hot air from your heater? Pressure test your cooling system also..Could be a bad radiator cap too..Bad caps can cause very low pressure in the cooling system which can cause overheating. If everything checks out fine, then I'd say its most def your headgasket. A compression test will not usually verify this though, you need to do a leakdown test. YOu can buy leakdown testers at parts stores, and you need compressed air to use them..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

xtrickedeclipsexMay-04-04 08:48 PM
620 posts,
#70366, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 21

Hey thanks for all the reply’s
1.Yea, my fans are ALWAYS on…The ECU doesn’t tell them what to do any more; they are on a relay, when the car comes on. The fans come on. Both fans are always on.
2.Yes, I do get very hot air from the heater
3.I have a 13 pound cap or whatever… There are no leaks what so ever, its seals right… The cap seems ok.
4.Tonight, I drained and re filled the radiator… half water half anti freeze…I was watching to see if the water pump was working, once the thermo opens, it was pushing water thro it very fast. Then it would sit for a while and bubble. Then same thing again… So the water pump works
5.The only thing we have left to try is the leak down test – and or better fans….
I really don’t think it’s the head gasket tho, im thinking that mani gets so f-ing hot its making the radiator hot to.

keep it comming...thanks for all replys!

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMay-05-04 12:38 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#70392, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 22

Try all the fan you want and waste the next the 30yrs of your life on it......DUDE you have constant bubbles comming out of the coolant....where doo bubbles come from....AIR or boiling water. If the bubbles come out before the car is overheating you are getting air from the cyliders. Most compression gauges use an adapter with a milton fitting on it. insert the adapter snug and hook your air line to it from the compressor. do this for all cylinders before you spend any cash. the never ending bubbles were the first clue to quit buying fans ect.

Terry
96 Eagle talon ESI
Star Stage II - Boost/oil/EGT gauges

97 Eclipse
Greddy header/evo exhaust - Stage 2 6 puck Sprung hub MIBA clutch - Shortened shifter - Koni Yellows w/eibach prokit - Stillen Fr/Rr swaybars - ceramic intake - DEI Keyless entry alarm - Niche 17" Shoks

Waiting to be installed: Apexi AFC, HKS EVC IV, ceramic intake, 450 Turbo injectors, SFMU/return line, GSX Front brakes (need rotors)

TeamXtremeRSMay-05-04 02:00 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#70399, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 22

Originally posted by xtrickedeclipsex
Hey thanks for all the reply’s 1.Yea, my fans are ALWAYS on…The ECU doesn’t tell them what to do any more; they are on a relay, when the car comes on. The fans come on. Both fans are always on. 2.Yes, I do get very hot air from the heater 3.I have a 13 pound cap or whatever… There are no leaks what so ever, its seals right… The cap seems ok. 4.Tonight, I drained and re filled the radiator… half water half anti freeze…I was watching to see if the water pump was working, once the thermo opens, it was pushing water thro it very fast. Then it would sit for a while and bubble. Then same thing again… So the water pump works 5.The only thing we have left to try is the leak down test – and or better fans…. I really don’t think it’s the head gasket tho, im thinking that mani gets so f-ing hot its making the radiator hot to. keep it comming...thanks for all replys!

If your fans are always on, and its still overheating, then that is NOT RIGHT! Just because your cap does not leak, and "seems ok", doesnt mean it really is keeping the system at 13lbs of pressure..The fans are NOT the problem..I would do a leakdown test to rule out a HG right away..You never mentioned if you have your thermostat in properly either..You said you ran the car WITHOUT a thermo for a while? Did it over heat then? If not, then either the thermo is bad, or installed incorrectly...CHECK IT

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

customrsturboMay-05-04 02:51 PM
Member since Oct 06th 2003
249 posts,
#70403, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 24
May-05-04 02:53 PM by customrsturbo

You need to put some kind of cover(shroud) to that fan. This way the air is force thru the radiator removing the heat from the coolant or water. Try getting some kind of shroud or cover for the fan. Also you can take the thermostat and drill a couple of holes on the sides. This will make a little water constantly exiting the block. Don't remove the thermostat because the water needs some time in the radiator to cool down.

1995 Eclipse RS-T
GT35R, SPEC Stage 5 clutch
E85 Fuel(Helping the Ecosystem)
MS, v3.0, 029t
10.87 @ 135

xtrickedeclipsexMay-05-04 05:04 PM
620 posts,
#70409, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 25

the thermo has to be working...for one, even without the thermo it was over heating...and i can watch it open and close

i think it must be the head gasket then...if its bubbling before it even hot, dosent that mean it has to be the head gasket?

babybeclipseMay-05-04 05:48 PM
Member since Mar 01st 2002
3083 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70411, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 26

Originally posted by xtrickedeclipsex
the thermo has to be working...for one, even without the thermo it was over heating...and i can watch it open and close i think it must be the head gasket then...if its bubbling before it even hot, dosent that mean it has to be the head gasket?

Do what XtremeRS told you to do. You know it's not the fans or the thermo.

Step one-
Do the leakdown test
Step two-
Get back here and tell us what happend.

Personaly it sounds like a HG to me. Do the test and find out.

xtrickedeclipsexMay-07-04 11:20 PM
620 posts,
#70590, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 27

tommrow were going to do the "block" test, you can test the coolant to see if there is other shit in it..ill let you no tommrow

turbo8uMay-05-04 08:56 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#70425, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by etx
Or try revving your motor up to about 3500 rpm and see if your coolant temp drops. If it does your water pump is probably dieing.

etx...water pump is dying? wtf are you talking about... it either spins, or it doesnt

_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

as needles of ice
are the ill winds' talons

xtrickedeclipsexMay-05-04 09:45 PM
620 posts,
#70427, "RE: over heat at idle-Pics-******VIDEO NOW!!!!!!!!****"
In response to Reply # 28
May-05-04 09:51 PM by xtrickedeclipsex

OK...yea im sure its not the water pump

ok, i want you guys to chek out this video clip of the coolant bubbling when the motor is still pretty cold...could this mean back HG?????

CHECK THE VID OUT... Its in Windows Media format FYI
http://www.angelfire.com/linux/cookymonsta/images/cooling.wmv

THANKS FOR everyones help!

xtrickedeclipsexMay-06-04 06:06 AM
620 posts,
#70446, "RE: over heat at idle-Pics-******VIDEO NOW!!!!!!!!****"
In response to Reply # 29

http://www.angelfire.com/linux/cookymonsta/images/cooling.wmv

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMay-08-04 01:38 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#70594, "RE: over heat at idle-Pics-******VIDEO NOW!!!!!!!!****"
In response to Reply # 30

That anglefire ink i garbage...nogo. anyway pressure test your radiator with a coolant tester. pup the pressure up to the red on the gauge and let it set for a few minutes. if pressure slowly drop you have a leak. next do a leakdown test on your cyliders, see if air comes out of your coolant then you know its a HG.....you spend the next day cussin and swearing then you can pan on doing the head gasket....lol

your going to have to do this...there is no way to get around it...do the legwork and find your problem

Terry

96 Eagle talon ESI
Star Stage II - Boost/oil/EGT gauges

97 Eclipse
Greddy header/evo exhaust - Stage 2 6 puck Sprung hub MIBA clutch - Shortened shifter - Koni Yellows w/eibach prokit - Stillen Fr/Rr swaybars - ceramic intake - DEI Keyless entry alarm - Niche 17" Shoks

Waiting to be installed: Apexi AFC, HKS EVC IV, ceramic intake, 450 Turbo injectors, SFMU/return line, GSX Front brakes (need rotors)

xtrickedeclipsexMay-08-04 07:36 AM
620 posts,
#70605, "RE: over heat at idle-Pics-******VIDEO NOW!!!!!!!!****"
In response to Reply # 32

yes, today we will have the time to do both tests...last night i replaced it with a 16 psi cap, (autozone said thats the psi our cars use, but then again..its auto zone) i HAD a 13 psi cap on there before...so that will also be rules out if it dosent work...ill have more info today
thanks guys

BoostedGSMay-08-04 01:02 PM
1329 posts,
#70622, "RE: over heat at idle-Pics-******VIDEO NOW!!!!!!!!****"
In response to Reply # 33

Just an FYI.....the RS/GS has a 13psi cap stock, GS-T and GSX use the 16psi cap. I have a 16psi cap on my GS too.

You are not your job.

97 Eclipse GS - *SOLD*
01 Audi A6 2.7T
01 YZF-R6

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #70233 Previous topic | Next topic