Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #63078
View in linear mode

Subject: "Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?" Previous topic | Next topic
Therein10Jan-03-04 08:35 AM
Member since Feb 02nd 2003
83 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63078, "Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"

I have a fully built engine with 9 to 1 compression and we have currently got a perfect tune on my car with 27lbs of boost on 91 octane with the timing retarded on the msd dis-2 by 15 degrees. Just wondering if anyone knows the limitations?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, grain, Jan-03-04 10:21 AM, #1
RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Therein10, Jan-03-04 02:40 PM, #2
RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Therein10, Jan-03-04 02:49 PM, #3
      RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Teametx, Jan-03-04 07:03 PM, #4
           RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Therein10, Jan-05-04 04:17 PM, #5
                RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-06-04 06:57 AM, #6
                     RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Therein10, Jan-06-04 09:37 AM, #7
                     RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Uberingram, Jan-06-04 09:39 AM, #8
                     RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, ClipseRST, Jan-06-04 10:10 AM, #9
                          RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Uberingram, Jan-06-04 10:20 AM, #10
                     RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Teametx, Jan-08-04 05:01 AM, #27
                     RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, yellowmustang, Jan-06-04 11:28 AM, #11
                          RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-06-04 11:51 AM, #12
                               RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, yellowmustang, Jan-06-04 01:04 PM, #13
                                    RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Therein10, Jan-06-04 01:23 PM, #14
                                    RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-06-04 01:39 PM, #16
                                         RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, yellowmustang, Jan-06-04 03:06 PM, #20
                                              RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-06-04 07:21 PM, #23
                                                   RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Skrilla, Jan-07-04 09:07 AM, #26
RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, fly1, Jan-06-04 01:35 PM, #15
RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Therein10, Jan-06-04 01:52 PM, #17
      RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, fly1, Jan-06-04 02:07 PM, #
      RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, fly1, Jan-06-04 02:07 PM, #18
           RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Therein10, Jan-06-04 02:12 PM, #19
                RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, widebodied, Jan-06-04 04:45 PM, #21
                     RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Nitrous_RS1997, Jan-06-04 06:38 PM, #22
                          RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, brynden29, Jan-07-04 02:19 AM, #24
                          RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, weepul, Jan-14-04 04:13 AM, #33
RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, corsagsbo, Jan-07-04 03:49 AM, #25
RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Teametx, Jan-08-04 09:45 AM, #28
      RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, brynden29, Jan-08-04 10:05 AM, #29
           RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, MrSlick, Jan-09-04 01:36 AM, #30
                RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, Teametx, Jan-09-04 05:33 AM, #31
                     RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?, dudasd, Jan-10-04 05:50 AM, #32
                          I second that..., Skrilla, Jan-23-04 08:52 AM, #34

grainJan-03-04 10:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63079, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 0

if you need to retard timing that much, then your reversing the boost. less boost, less timing retard = more power.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Therein10Jan-03-04 02:40 PM
83 posts,
#63080, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 1

I don't need to, we were just being safe until i got a good tune on the car, so now we are adding timing and I was just wondering if anyone has ran certain amount of boost on pump gas. And what was done with the timing. Besides more boost is always a good thing.

Or maybe I should have asked the question as how much boost can we run on stock timing?

Therein10Jan-03-04 02:49 PM
83 posts,
#63081, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 1

Just FIY the amount of power created by boost is going to always be much more than advancing the timing so that is a ridiculous thing to say that if I had less boost and more timing it would have more power. That would be like saying that we should all have 12:1 compressions and 2 lbs of boost and that would be faster than 27 lbs on 9:1. Boost increases the overall cylindar compression. The more that there is the more power that will be created.

TeametxJan-03-04 07:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#63082, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 3

91 or 93 octane? I've hit 1.5 bar on 93 octane and ~16 digrees of advance. I wouldn't trust 93 octane to any more boost. I am at 8.8:1 comp.

Therein10Jan-05-04 04:17 PM
83 posts,
#63083, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 4

In colorado we have 91 Octane and again I am running 27psi. Did you for sure mean 16 degrees advanced? If thats so than even though I am running more boost than you were I wont be so hesitant to increase my timing. I just wish I could find the stock timing curve to really see what the msd dis-2 is doing since I have it retarding the timing.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-06-04 06:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#63084, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 5
Jan-06-04 06:58 AM by DarkOne

Originally posted by Therein10
I just wish I could find the stock timing curve

There is no "stock timing curve". We don't have a distributor. The ECU advances or retards timing based on a preset table modified by several sensor inputs including but not limited to air temp, coolant temp, map value, rpm, load %. Of you want to know what the car is doing, buy a datalogger and watch the timing advance as you make a dyno pull. Take the total amount of advance you see at any given point and subtract the amount of timing you are taking out with your MSD and that is your actual timing. You're probably running about 2-5* total timing advance at redline with that 15* taken out. Hope you have stainless exhaust valves, or are running a device like an AFC that is going to cause you to see more than stock timing.

And YES, there eventually comes a point where less timing and more boost will make less power. If you disagree, go look it up. I'm not going to argue with you.

*edit - spelling

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Therein10Jan-06-04 09:37 AM
83 posts,
#63085, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 6

Yes I am running an AFC. And so that means that there is no written as you say table of what it is suppose to do? The only choice is a data logger?

UberingramJan-06-04 09:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#63086, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 7

The only choice is a data logger?

unless you can develop some psychic link with your ECU then yes, a logger.

ClipseRSTJan-06-04 10:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
325 posts,
#63087, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 8

Before my third and current rebuild I was pushing 23lbs on 94 octain with no timing advances. I'm figuring its probably the reason why I'm currently on my third and hopefully my last rebuild. Anyways if you are going to be pushing 27lbs then you must have a pretty big pocket book. So you should be able to find enough money for a inexpensive pocketlogger. But yeah, get that timing down. And get off the pump gas.

UberingramJan-06-04 10:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#63088, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 9

www.pocketlogger.com

TeametxJan-08-04 05:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#63197, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 7

Yes I am running an AFC. And so that means that there is no written as you say table of what it is suppose to do? The only choice is a data logger?

yellowmustangJan-06-04 11:28 AM
Member since Jan 06th 2004
3 posts,
#63089, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by grain
if you need to retard timing that much, then your reversing the boost. less boost, less timing retard = more power.

This is wrong, ignition timing is based on many factors that contribute to the amount of time it takes for the flame front during combustion to go from the spark plug to the piston face. The most important of these include cylinder pressure (compression ratio, boost pressure, cam timing ext.) and combustion chamber design (pentroof, wedge ext). Some motors require huge amounts of advance due to large combustion chambers with spark plugs located towards the side, a small block Ford or Chevy needs around 30-40 degrees of advance and a big block even more due to the larger bore and combustion chamber. A smaller 4 valve pentroof design with a centrally located spark plug requires alot less advance due to a more evenly distributed flame front that moves outward within the chamber instead of across it.

In this case with 27lbs of boost the combustion charge is much denser, contains more oxygen and fuel so it will burn much faster, in turn the flame front will take less time to travel from the spark plug to the piston face which is why boosted or nitrous cars need to have the timing retarted. It is in order for the flame front to reach the piston at the correct time, period.

The reason I go into all this is to illustrate how timming really works within the chamber and show that different engines require differnt amounts of advance and advancing the timing and lowering the boost will not make more power as every motor has a specific amount of timing that will make the most power. This is when the flame front reaches the piston face at around 10-16 degrees after top dead center any sooner and the combustion pressure is directed into the rod and main bearings as the rod angle is too straight to direct all the power into spinning the crank which is what we are trying to do. Timming does not make power fuel does, fuel requires oxygen to burn, is the energy released by igniting the air/fuel mix which creates power. More air/boost equals more fuel to burn which is how boosted cars make more power. If all things are setup properly more boost will make more power but timming will have to be less advanced to ensure that the faster burning mixture reaches the piston face at the correct time.

Originally posted by DarkOne
And YES, there eventually comes a point where less timing and more boost will make less power. If you disagree, go look it up. I'm not going to argue with you. *edit - spelling

You can't argue that becuase its wrong, please take the time to read my post...hopefully I have exlained it well enough to help you understand why timming has to be retarded in proportion to the denser air/fuel mixture created by a boosted motor. And why the correct...lower timing advance will make more power at higer boost levels.

In the case of the original poster adding timing will not add power if it is already correct, but he seems to be on the right track by trying to find out what kind of total timing the stock ecu runs and then retarding it from there.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-06-04 11:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#63090, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 11
Jan-06-04 11:54 AM by DarkOne

Excellent first post, but in some circumstances mistaken. There DOES come a point where too much timing retardation to compensate for lower octane fuels will cost you power as opposed to more timing advance on a higher octane fuel. This is what i was refering to in my original post, and i should have noted this in its context. I did not expect such a well written and thought out reply. As well, there comes a point where the gain are not worth it to take out a few degrees more timing to gain a few pounds of pressure. Sure, it may make more power peak, but it will effect drivability and not net the power desired as opposed to running a higher octane fuel.

Originally posted by yellowmustang
hopefully I have exlained it well enough to help you understand why timming has to be retarded in proportion to the denser air/fuel mixture created by a boosted motor

No explaination is necessary, but it is appreciated.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

yellowmustangJan-06-04 01:04 PM
3 posts,
#63091, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 12

Excellent first post, This is what i was refering to in my original post, and i should have noted this in its context. I did not expect such a well written and thought out reply. As well, there comes a point where the gain are not worth it to take out a few degrees more timing to gain a few pounds of pressure. Sure, it may make more power peak, but it will effect drivability and not net the power desired as opposed to running a higher octane fuel.

More boost will always create more power with the proper timing advance that allows the flame front to reach the piston between 10-16 degrees ATDC. Higher boost will require less timing to do so as it has to, but will make more power even so. That was my point in my first post and you seem to see what I'm saying ......
Sure, it may make more power peak,

Reguarding drivability which hadn't been brought up prior to my post you would be correct if the timming was taken out globablly at all RPMs, load and boost conditions, as off boost timing would no longer be optimal. The original poster said he was pulling out timming with a MSD DIS-2 which can be set to retart timming at certain RPM, while this wouldn't be as good as a BTM or a stand alone, very rarely are you at part trottle over a certain RPM.

Therein10Jan-06-04 01:23 PM
83 posts,
#63092, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 13

To clarify on my part, I am running 27lbs of boost on 91 octane with 15 degrees of timing being taken out after 4500 rpms(close to full boost) with an air fuel ratio of 11.5 to 11.7. rich enough to keep cooler temps. so yes yellowmustang is correct.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-06-04 01:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#63093, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 13
Jan-06-04 01:44 PM by DarkOne

More boost will always create more power with the proper timing advance that allows the flame front to reach the piston between 10-16 degrees ATDC. Higher boost will require less timing to do so as it has to, but will make more power even so. That was my point in my first post and you seem to see what I'm saying ......

I fully understand what you are saying. The point you're making is that as long as the timing is correct to burn the most fuel efficiently and still allow the cylinder pressures to peak at the point of highest torque transfer, it'll make more power. This is in complete disreguard to octane rating, as octane rating have no bearing on the speed of a fuel's burn.

On paper this is fine. The problem comes in from the heat and compression in the motor. Eventually it's going to knock because 91 octane just can't take that heat and compression no matter how much timing you take out. This is the point where it's not going to make more power with more boost because it's simply overcome the ability of the fuel to resist the heat and compression.

I'm curious to know what sort of turbo Therin runs that is still efficient with sane intake air temps at 27psi. In my opinion, there is no way his motor can't be knocking.

This is a good discussion. Do you just troll the 'net looking for opportunity to educate the vast, ignorant, unwashed masses, or were you directed here from elsewhere? Just curious.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

yellowmustangJan-06-04 03:06 PM
3 posts,
#63094, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 16

I fully understand what you are saying. The point you're making is that as long as the timing is correct to burn the most fuel efficiently and still allow the cylinder pressures to peak at the point of highest torque transfer, it'll make more power. This is in complete disreguard to octane rating, as octane rating have no bearing on the speed of a fuel's burn.

This is correct and is what I'm trying to get across, as the first post you replied to didn't bring fuel octane into the picture as you only stated about boost and timing and only later brought octane into the picture. So to answere yes, the previous post have been under Ideal conditions where the timing, boost pressure and A/F mixture are Ideal. Octane does play a huge role as the fuel needs to have enough resistance to initial light off under high cylinder pressure to prevent detonation. Although this may seem to heavily effect timing it doesn't, fuels can have an identical octane index but burn at total different rates and speeds. Heres some info from someone who has more knowledge in chemistry and the makeups of automotive fuels
------A lot of people also confuse octane with flame-front propagation speed which is yet another independent factor. Take the old-days measurement of octane-ratings with iso-octane (2,2,4-trimethylpentane) with a octane-100 rating and n-heptane with a 0-octane rating. They both have the exact same flame-front speed, yet one of them has a fairly high anti-knock index. The other, n-heptane, has such low knock-resistance that you can just tap the beaker and the stuff would explode!-----
this here is just further food for thought on detonation caused by timming vs. detonation related to high cylinder pressures, and goes to show one fuel can have high resistance to preignition from high cylinder pressure but still needs similiar ignition lead due to similar flame travel speeds.

On paper this is fine. The problem comes in from the heat and compression in the motor. Eventually it's going to knock because 91 octane just can't take that heat and compression no matter how much timing you take out. This is the point where it's not going to make more power with more boost because it's simply overcome the ability of the fuel to resist the heat and compression.

This is true and as I have pointed out previously these high cylinder pressures require less timing for many reasons and I didn't bring octane ratings into the equation because I was refering to the statements made saying lowering boost and increasing timming will make more power not statements about octane and cylinder pressure. You are correct that eventually timming will not be the final factor in finding the boost thresshold, it will be the octane of the fuel used. If this had been said in the first place I would have agreed but it wasn't and therefore was not the topic/point of my previous post.

I'm curious to know what sort of turbo Therin runs that is still efficient with sane intake air temps at 27psi. In my opinion, there is no way his motor can't be knocking.

The turbo is fairly large T04B with 66mm compresor wheel I believe, but may be out of its efficiency range on the pressure side but probably not by much. The car does have a nice FMIC and the temps here have been around 20-40degrees which is helping....a data logger to see intake temps and total timming values at WOT would be very nice. We have though slowly rasied the boost pressure and kept the things rich because of the pump gas,the motor is not detonating or at least showing zero signs. Crazy as it may sound I know three guys with 4G63s and Hahn super20's running over 25lbs on 91 octane, one of them was on a stock bottom end. I'm actually going to tune one right now.

This is a good discussion. Do you just troll the 'net looking for opportunity to educate the vast, ignorant, unwashed masses, or were you directed here from elsewhere? Just curious.

One of Therien10's freinds lol

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-06-04 07:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#63117, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 20
Jan-06-04 07:21 PM by DarkOne

as the first post you replied to didn't bring fuel octane into the picture

I don't mean to sound snide or anything, but the last three words in this thread are "on pump gas," so that was the assumption i was working on. At the very least, we've agreed, and ther eis much excellent info here for the others to read.

One of Therien10's freinds lol

Glad to have you. Feel free to stick around - the more the merrier, and you certainly know what you're about. We need more like you

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

SkrillaJan-07-04 09:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#63137, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 23

Originally posted by yellowmustang as the first post you replied to didn't bring fuel octane into the picture
I don't mean to sound snide or anything, but the last three words in this thread are "on pump gas," so that was the assumption i was working on. At the very least, we've agreed, and ther eis much excellent info here for the others to read.
Originally posted by yellowmustang One of Therien10's freinds lol
Glad to have you. Feel free to stick around - the more the merrier, and you certainly know what you're about. We need more like you

Agreed this thread was a good read, makes me wanna kick myself. I had a 9.6:1CR with -15* on 18lbs on 91octane. I wanna try 10.5:1 with 22lbs on -15* on 91 octan

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

fly1Jan-06-04 01:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1470 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63095, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 0
Jan-06-04 01:41 PM by fly1

Wow, 27psi on 91 octan Personally, I've never ran into anyone that run that boost level on pump gas. I think that's really risky. With the timing pulled, what's your EGT? Some 4G63 guys run about 20-22lbs on pump gas, and some of them have pretty high "knock" counts, which we (2G's) can't datalog. You'd mention that you've got tuned pretty good; was that tuned to a wideband O2 reading, the stock O2, or to your EGT (just curious.)?

....oops, you beat me to my question

"Sometimes, a man has to do what a man has to do."

Therein10Jan-06-04 01:52 PM
83 posts,
#63096, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 15

The tune was to a wideband o2 so we had accurate readings. And no yellowmustang came in to educate you because I knew he could it explain timing better than I could. He is the one who is helping me tune my car

fly1Jan-06-04 02:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1470 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63097, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"

This is interesting because I've not read of anyone boosting 27psi on 90 octan Did you guys have dyno runs to compare the hp gains at lower boost levels and less timing retardation to the higher boost runs and more timing retard? What about peak hp gains? At 27psi, was there a big change in hp output efficiency when compared to a lower boost level and less timing retardation?

fly1Jan-06-04 02:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1470 posts,
#63098, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 17

This is interesting because I've not read of anyone boosting 27psi on 90 octan Did you guys have dyno runs to compare the hp gains at lower boost levels and less timing retardation to the higher boost runs and more timing retard? What about peak hp gains? At 27psi, was there a big change in hp output efficiency when compared to a lower boost level and less timing retardation?

Therein10Jan-06-04 02:12 PM
83 posts,
#63099, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 18

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks when we are done at the dyno. Oh and FYI we have had friends with 4g63's running 29psi on pump gas.

widebodiedJan-06-04 04:45 PM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2257 posts,
#63103, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 19

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks when we are done at the dyno. Oh and FYI we have had friends with 4g63's running 29psi on pump gas.

id like to know your setup along with fuel setup. btw this post gets a 10

DWAYNE H
1996 eclipse
under construction widebody eclipse, targa top, 19inch rollers, big brakes, 10 point custom cage, frank 2.4 hrc s20g turbo, custom marble paint job

2000 Yamaha R-1, 165rwhp 117 ftlbs tq

Nitrous_RS1997Jan-06-04 06:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1311 posts,
#63114, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 21

I run 17psi everyday on 93 octane, but i dont beat the shit out of my car, boosting to every stoplight. how you drive has a LOT to do with how much boost you can safely run....but most people dont seem to consider this. i dont have a SAFC, and my timing is fine at 17psi. but for anymore, i ALWAYS run a race gas mix. cant hurt, only help. its a try at your own risk type thing.

1999 Black C5
1997 Silver RS
Wiseco 8.8:1 Pistons(back to low compression!)
Eagle Rods
T3/T4 Turbo
Custom FMIC
Greddy Exhaust
390's
Most current 1/8th mile time: 8.3@90mph 2.015 60'(Nitto Drag radials, i suck)

brynden29Jan-07-04 02:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4079 posts,
#63125, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 22

Damn, this thread really makes me want to turn up the boost. I am running 18 pounds right now, sounds to me like I should be able to run 20 pounds pretty safely.

Dino, what do you think?

Brynden

weepulJan-14-04 04:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
210 posts,
#63517, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 22

Originally posted by Nitrous_RS1997
I run 17psi everyday on 93 octane, but i dont beat the shit out of my car, boosting to every stoplight. how you drive has a LOT to do with how much boost you can safely run....but most people dont seem to consider this. i dont have a SAFC, and my timing is fine at 17psi. but for anymore, i ALWAYS run a race gas mix. cant hurt, only help. its a try at your own risk type thing. 1999 Black C5 1997 Silver RS Wiseco 8.8:1 Pistons(back to low compression!) Eagle Rods T3/T4 Turbo Custom FMIC Greddy Exhaust 390's Most current 1/8th mile time: 8.3@90mph 2.015 60'(Nitto Drag radials, i suck)

Yeah I still have some tuning to do, but with my set-up I push 11 psi daily, but I've done 20. Only reason I'm not 20 psi daily is because my rubber IC pipes keep slipping off =P s-afc2 (untuned), no timing advance, 94 octane pump gas with octane boost (hey, it helps my ego at most =P), no knock. You guys need to come to Ohio and visit a Sonoco for some 94 =)

corsagsboJan-07-04 03:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
390 posts,
#63127, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 0

This thread brings a tear to my eye... not often do we get such a treat.

boosted 420a and ej2o..(my 2liter v8 eaters);)

TeametxJan-08-04 09:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#63220, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 25

Hrm. Good Readin, welcome to the board yellow!

Like I said, I am tuned for 22 psi with 0 timing retard. So my advance at WOT is anywhere from 15 - 18 degrees. My egt's hit about 1550F at 22. Unfortunately at that point my turbo feels like its out of its efficiency range. Maybe, maybe not, I feel like it's time for a 20g + larger down pipe.

brynden29Jan-08-04 10:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4079 posts,
#63224, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 28

22 psi? Is that on a factory ignition?

Brynden

MrSlickJan-09-04 01:36 AM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
1120 posts,
#63250, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 29

I run 19psi on factory ignition, with no retard.
Factory ECU.
450CC DSM low impedence injectors.... The secret to my success.... haha.
And best of all.... a moddified and stabalized cartech.... haha.
That's right I have the regular Hahn cartech running my 450's at 19psi boost... haha.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

http://www.ms-custom.com

TeametxJan-09-04 05:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#63265, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 30

No I have a MSD Dis-2, but I am not pulling any timeing. I could easily do it on the factory ignition.

dudasdJan-10-04 05:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
735 posts,
#63332, "RE: Whats the most boost that we can run on pump gas?"
In response to Reply # 31

WOW!!!! Good reading, this thread deserves a sticky for sure.

SkrillaJan-23-04 08:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#63994, "I second that..."
In response to Reply # 32

...30lbs here I come

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #63078 Previous topic | Next topic