Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #96821
View in linear mode

Subject: "full LED tails conversion (video and pics)" Previous topic | Next topic
ezOct-10-06 12:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#96821, "full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"

Thought you guys may want to see how I've wasted my spare time these past few months. I converted my taillights to full LED, as well as the centerpiece. I custom made a controller for lighting effects. The controller let's me do special effects (see video) on top of the regular brake/marker/left and right signal effects. Now when I signal left, the 24 arrays in the tails make a wave to the left.

Tails with lights on:

Brakes:

Center piece:

Completed, with red lens on:

New 3rd tail light:

Controller:

Installed controller:

video:
http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/ez1_03/?action=view& current=ezled_0002.flv

^you have to take out the spaces between "&" and "current"

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), EvMan2345, Oct-10-06 12:47 PM, #1
RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), edxmon, Oct-10-06 01:00 PM, #2
      RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), ez, Oct-10-06 01:16 PM, #3
           RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), shuwa29, Oct-10-06 01:48 PM, #4
                RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), Moderatorcs82685, Oct-10-06 02:09 PM, #5
                RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), boosted60trimrst, Oct-10-06 02:13 PM, #7
                RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), oragon, Oct-10-06 02:11 PM, #6
                     RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), eclipse982nrRST, Oct-10-06 02:28 PM, #8
                     RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), lild14, Oct-10-06 02:29 PM, #9
                          RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), clipse_2005, Oct-10-06 02:42 PM, #10
                               RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), edxmon, Oct-10-06 03:22 PM, #11
                               RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), MitsuEclipseGS, Oct-10-06 03:46 PM, #12
                                    RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), destruckeclipse, Oct-10-06 07:53 PM, #13
                                    RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), donnyb373, Oct-10-06 08:41 PM, #14
                                         RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), knight ryda 99, Oct-10-06 09:05 PM, #15
                                              RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), Sorry_i_Win, Oct-11-06 01:32 AM, #16
                                                   RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), TeamDR1665, Oct-11-06 06:23 AM, #17
                                                        RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), Moderatorcs82685, Oct-11-06 07:38 AM, #18
                                                        RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), mike_d, Oct-11-06 08:15 AM, #19
                                                             RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), 96rs-t, Oct-11-06 08:27 AM, #20
                                                                  RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), R34Eclipse, Oct-11-06 12:53 PM, #21
                                                        RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), eclipse982nrRST, Oct-11-06 04:04 PM, #22
                                                             RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), destruckeclipse, Oct-11-06 05:27 PM, #23
                                                             RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), Collente, Oct-11-06 07:32 PM, #24
                                                                  RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), donnyb373, Oct-11-06 08:20 PM, #25
                                                                       RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), eclipse982nrRST, Oct-12-06 01:41 AM, #26
                                                                            RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), CustomGS, Oct-12-06 06:18 AM, #27
                                                             RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), TeamDR1665, Oct-12-06 07:29 AM, #28
                                                                  RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), ez, Oct-12-06 10:26 AM, #29
                                                                       RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), TeamDR1665, Oct-12-06 10:55 AM, #30
                                                                            RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), Keith2172, Oct-12-06 01:01 PM, #31
                                                                                 RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), edxmon, Oct-12-06 01:14 PM, #32
                                                                                      RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), dsmmyth, Oct-12-06 03:59 PM, #33
                                                                                      RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), edxmon, Oct-12-06 04:45 PM, #34
                                                                                      RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), ez, Oct-13-06 09:29 AM, #37
                               RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), donnyb373, Oct-13-06 08:18 PM, #40
RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), BlackMagic, Oct-12-06 05:19 PM, #35
RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), 96rs-t, Oct-13-06 12:41 AM, #36
RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), ez, Oct-13-06 09:36 AM, #38
      RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), boosted60trimrst, Oct-13-06 12:25 PM, #39
           RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), Chamuko, Oct-13-06 10:45 PM, #41
                RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), 96rs-t, Oct-14-06 12:29 PM, #42
                     RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics), susafuss, Oct-14-06 01:42 PM, #43

EvMan2345Oct-10-06 12:47 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#96822, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 0

Thats Amazing! Great job!

Evan B
02 Explorer
97 GS- sold
90 GSX-sold
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

edxmonOct-10-06 01:00 PM
Member since Jul 26th 2005
1006 posts,
#96823, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 1
Oct-10-06 01:05 PM by edxmon

DAWM! i want a set!!! :'(

I WANT A SET RIGHT NOW!! you just tell me how much eh?! HOW MUCHHHH!!!!!!!!

MUDA-FAWCKING AMAZING...IM SPEECHLESS...I DK WHY IM TYPING IN ALL CAPS!

Originally posted by turbo8u
his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

I contributed to the wiki! My Page: edxmon

ezOct-10-06 01:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#96824, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by edxmon
DAWM! i want a set!!! :'( I WANT A SET RIGHT NOW!! you just tell me how much eh?! HOW MUCHHHH!!!!!!!! MUDA-FAWCKING AMAZING...IM SPEECHLESS...I DK WHY IM TYPING IN ALL CAPS!

LOL. these lights are worth more than the rest of the car, ha ha. took me forever!

shuwa29Oct-10-06 01:48 PM
Member since Mar 15th 2002
2301 posts,
#96826, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 3

dude mad probs...that's usually something you see on bikes and all. great job and i know a write up is what alot of people are going to want!

later

2GNT #1865
2006 Yamaha YZF R6 (Blue/Black)
2005 Honda CBR 600 RR (Blue REPSOL)
2003 BMW 325I Premium/Sport Package
2003 Honda CBR 600 RR (sold)
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS (sold)
Shuwa's links:
http://www.facebook.com/Shuwa29
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/shuwa29/

DarkOne> but we all have that inner ricer that is just dying to come out sometimes...

Moderatorcs82685Oct-10-06 02:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#96827, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 4

damn that's pretty sick with the controller and all. You're gonna have to have some sort of write up on this for people, unless of course you don't want anyone copying it.

I would just like to make a little strip of LED's on the top of my center tail light piece this way I can eventually put a turbo wing on and not have to worry about finding the 3rd brake light inside the hatch.

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

boosted60trimrstOct-10-06 02:13 PM
Member since Sep 10th 2005
1183 posts,
#96829, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 5

that looks absolutly amazing . you definitly have to do a full writeup .

LED tails : Done for now!
99 eclipse rst
cobalt blue met. paint,star stage 2 upgraded t3/t460trim turbo ceramic coated , polished compressor housing, ,optima yellow top, chrome i/c piping ,front mount ntercooler ,apexi turbo timer . zeitronix wb02 ,faze oil ,boost gauge,egt ,bosch 4x plugs,kyb agx struts, pro kit springs.17''adr venomous rims,Falken azenis ,brembo dilled/slotted rotors ,turbo xs bov ,oil catch can,manual shiftknob,autometer pyrometer egt , vortech sfmu,b&m fuel pressure gauge ,accel 310cc injectors ,gasketmatched and polished intake manifold ,58mm throttle body ,no egr,polished turbonetics wastegate,fuel pump rewire,homade fcd and a lot more .LED reverse lights ,sidemarkers and tails .atx to mtx swap . South bend tz clutch . Tons more
http://imageshack.us>

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=boosted60trimrst
My contribution to the wiki
http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=crank%20arm%20spindle%20mod%20to%20fit%20power%20panels

oragonOct-10-06 02:11 PM
Member since Aug 19th 2006
9 posts,
#96828, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 4

you can make some nice money from this man..that's awesome lighting

eclipse982nrRSTOct-10-06 02:28 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#96830, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 6

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G ! ! !

That is craziness. I am not a fan of the controller thing, but they just look amazing dude.

Personally, I would make another set of these, and slap them on ebay. I gurantee you could make $500+ on a set of those dude.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

lild14Oct-10-06 02:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
#96831, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 6

haha wow that video is cool. if you were to ever sell this as a kit, i would jump right on it. if not then please post a write up

=Dan=

98rs eclipse- Mods: BC2, C/F hood, custom turbo system consisting of a PTE SC50, turbosmart ultra gate (10psi), star FMIC and pipes, SFMU, HKS SSQV, 3" V-BAND downpipe from ATP, Zeitronix Wideband LCD displaying boost, egt and 02. *** SOLD and will be missed***

2006 gsxr 750- jardine gp1 exhaust, -1,+2 stealth sprockets, DID 525 chain, JD products pro TRE. 0-60 in a sneeze. ran a 10.8 avg 1/4 mile my first time to the track on street tires, stock swingarm and unstrapped.

clipse_2005Oct-10-06 02:42 PM
Member since Sep 15th 2005
269 posts,
#96832, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 9

I couldn't get the video to work but are you on HIDplanet.com?? I remember seeing a set of LED tails on an eclipse over there and they were amazing!

edxmonOct-10-06 03:22 PM
1006 posts,
#96833, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 10
Oct-10-06 03:24 PM by edxmon

dude im begging you! tell ME (us) how we can even BEGIN to do something like that i have 3 sets of tails to mess with, but i cant even imagine how to begin the wiring, im no electrician thats for sure.

Can i give you points just because you did this? gosh darn i want them SOOO BAD!

EDIT: FAwk it, ima start buying books and such, i just cant resist... i need to find out how to, and start doing this ASAP
sorry if imtrying to copy cat, but damn the sexiness factor is off the charts!

his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

MitsuEclipseGSOct-10-06 03:46 PM
Member since Dec 30th 2003
375 posts,
#96834, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 11

Looks great, azdave would be proud.
-Todd

Star Stage II, Greddy Type S, ADFX 3" DP, blah blah blah

destruckeclipseOct-10-06 07:53 PM
Member since Apr 26th 2004
576 posts,
#96837, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 12

....*speech less*.....

Wow, thats sick.

'95 GSX - Big16G ~ Leaks, but atleast it runs.

donnyb373Oct-10-06 08:41 PM
Member since Apr 07th 2004
1122 posts,
#96838, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by MitsuEclipseGS
Looks great, azdave would be proud. -Todd

yea i was just about to mention azdave....lol

knight ryda 99Oct-10-06 09:05 PM
Member since Feb 08th 2005
331 posts,
#96839, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 14

me too, those are the shit though

better than some... Greater than most

Sorry_i_WinOct-11-06 01:32 AM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
#96840, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 15

very nice job. I personally wouldnt have done the center piece, but great job regardless. Definitely post a write up.

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

TeamDR1665Oct-11-06 06:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#96841, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 16

Dave told me he was wondering when you were going to share this with the world. Good show, Erik. They look tight.

To the guy who said you could easily make $500 on them, he's likely got more than that in just the LEDs he bought to make it; not to mention the cost of the controller, wires, solder, shrink tube, and labor. This is easily a $1000 project, imo.

Again, it looks amazing, Erik. You do us proud.

Moderatorcs82685Oct-11-06 07:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#96844, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 17
Oct-11-06 07:42 AM by cs82685

Originally posted by DR1665
To the guy who said you could easily make $500 on them, he's likely got more than that in just the LEDs he bought to make it; not to mention the cost of the controller, wires, solder, shrink tube, and labor.

Aren't the LED's themselves cheap as shit? eh, nm, I see it all depends on what kind you get and that they'll vary a lot

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

mike_dOct-11-06 08:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
718 posts,
#96845, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 18

How about a little write up and where you sourced the materials? This would make a great winter project for me.

95 Talon ESi-T

96rs-tOct-11-06 08:27 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2203 posts,
#96846, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 19

Great work Erik. When do we start on mine?

SoCal DSM
1996 RS-T: Under Construction
1999 GS AE: New daily driver
"USING NO WAY AS A WAY, HAVING NO LIMITATION AS A LIMITATION"--BRUCE LEE

R34EclipseOct-11-06 12:53 PM
Member since Oct 01st 2005
706 posts,
#96847, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 20

one of you bastards needs to get into detail and make the led's spell out eclipse in the center taillight, then i will be impressed =) haha either way looks great.

-----------------------------------
97 RS-T, STAR Stage 2, HAHN FMIC, Decah Lambo Doors, 19" Axis Hiros, Built 420a - SOLD
2004 - G35 6MT 20" HREs & Tein Flex
-----------------------------------

eclipse982nrRSTOct-11-06 04:04 PM
6314 posts,
#96848, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 17

Dave told me he was wondering when you were going to share this with the world. Good show, Erik. They look tight. To the guy who said you could easily make $500 on them, he's likely got more than that in just the LEDs he bought to make it; not to mention the cost of the controller, wires, solder, shrink tube, and labor. This is easily a $1000 project, imo. Again, it looks amazing, Erik. You do us proud.

That was me Mr.Dre...

You can get like 100 LED's off ebay for like $15 shipped

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

destruckeclipseOct-11-06 05:27 PM
Member since Apr 26th 2004
576 posts,
#96849, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 22

Yea I doubt it costs $1k to get the parts. The labor would be KILLER though.

'95 GSX - Big16G ~ Leaks, but atleast it runs.

CollenteOct-11-06 07:32 PM
Member since Sep 20th 2002
2447 posts,
#96850, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 23

they look amazing, well fucking done! Just tits.

think you could do a writeup?

Nick
97RS

donnyb373Oct-11-06 08:20 PM
1122 posts,
#96851, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 24

i wounder what it would look like with talon tails, has the yellow with yellow leds, and have the red lit up all the time and when you hiut the brakes...hmmmmm

eclipse982nrRSTOct-12-06 01:41 AM
6314 posts,
#96852, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 25

Originally posted by donnyb373
i wounder what it would look like with talon tails, has the yellow with yellow leds, and have the red lit up all the time and when you hiut the brakes...hmmmmm

GO FOR IT!

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

CustomGSOct-12-06 06:18 AM
Member since Jul 15th 2004
668 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#96853, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 26

Looks amazing..Good job EZ!

Chris
---------------------------------------

98 Eclipse GS 5 spd- sold
95 Camaro Z28
64.5 Mustang 302 3spd

Sometimes, you don't need to pull away to win. You just need to show them they have nowhere to run.

Originally posted by Nine5eclipse03
No, but one time i tried to pee over a car, and pooped my pants.

TeamDR1665Oct-12-06 07:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#96854, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 22
Oct-12-06 07:30 AM by DR1665

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
That was me Mr.Dre... You can get like 100 LED's off ebay for like $15 shipped

Well, let me put it this way, I've seen azdave's set up from just about start to finish. I've spoken with him and heard him explain the set up dozens of times. He is not using $10 LEDs. Hell, the single 5W white LED Dave has lighting up his entire engine bay right now runs $10/each. Dave has easily got over $1500 invested into his tail lights. Easily.

You can think whatever you guys want, but I can assure you the only way you're going to get lights like these for under a grand is if you buy the parts to do it yourself, and even then, expect to pay more than $500 for it.

EDIT:
I do think it's funny, however, that Erik would blur out his tag when you consider how he has the only Eclipse in the entire state of Kalifornia with lights like that on the back.

ezOct-12-06 10:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#96855, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 28

okay, I just spent like 5 minutes addressing everyone's questions. and when I go to post - it all disappears.

Originally posted by cs82685
damn that's pretty sick with the controller and all. You're gonna have to have some sort of write up on this for people

the only problem is that the write up would be a small book. there is a lot of detail involved, and a lot of things need to be addressed simply for safety and reliability. you wouldn't want to do all this work to simply have it all burn out in a month

maybe I can write up a primer or something... if I get enough motivation

Originally posted by oragon
you can make some nice money from this man..that's awesome lighting

and I know who I'd sell them to. all those suits driving 85thousand dollar beamers. one of those new BWMs over the weekend was swerving to get close to my car at stoplights, lol. he just kept staring. I bet I could sell them some stuff for good money.

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G ! ! ! That is craziness. I am not a fan of the controller thing, but they just look amazing dude. Personally, I would make another set of these, and slap them on ebay. I gurantee you could make $500+ on a set of those dude.

I'm proud of that controller. it's the first microcontroller I've ever made. and it works without going up in flames. I celebrated when I first lit it up

$500? ha ha, no. Let me just mention the cost of the LEDs, for one thing. yes, there are cheap ebay/chinese LEDs out there. but you will find that they all light up at different intensities and different colors. if you want your arrays to look the slightest bit decent and homogenous, you will be very disappointed. imagine putting all that work into this project, and your cheap LEDs burn out in a few months.

I bought color matched/voltage matched LEDs from lumileds. same kind used in Cadillacs. very high quality, meaning they cost at least 40 cents a piece. multiply that by 877 LEDs used in this project. some places sell these LEDs for $1/piece.

the labor is what kills you. you'd really have to twist my arm for me to do this kit for less than $3000. and that's if I like you. I'm sure I could speed up the process now that I know all the details and what works. but still - we are talking literally hundreds of hours

Originally posted by clipse_2005
I couldn't get the video to work but are you on HIDplanet.com?? I remember seeing a set of LED tails on an eclipse over there and they were amazing!

yea, both Dave and I

dude im begging you! tell ME (us) how we can even BEGIN to do something like that i have 3 sets of tails to mess with, but i cant even imagine how to begin the wiring, im no electrician thats for sure. Can i give you points just because you did this? gosh darn i want them SOOO BAD! EDIT: FAwk it, ima start buying books and such, i just cant resist... i need to find out how to, and start doing this ASAP sorry if imtrying to copy cat, but damn the sexiness factor is off the charts!

that's the spirit! start reading up on electronics books. yea, you can give me points if you want. I'll give everyone and their momma a hundred points today b/c I'm done with this project. celebrate

Originally posted by Sorry_i_Win
very nice job. I personally wouldnt have done the center piece, but great job regardless.

the center piece was a must-have for me. I think they should have been lit up somehow straight from the factory. even Dino has a center piece light mod on the main page.

Originally posted by 96rs-t
Great work Erik. When do we start on mine?

when do we start on my HID retrofit?

Originally posted by donnyb373

someone should definately do this.

I do think it's funny, however, that Erik would blur out his tag when you consider how he has the only Eclipse in the entire state of Kalifornia with lights like that on the back.

"You never know who's watching Brian" - Tanner

TeamDR1665Oct-12-06 10:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#96856, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 29

Originally posted by ez
$500? ha ha, no. Let me just mention the cost of the LEDs, for one thing. yes, there are cheap ebay/chinese LEDs out there. but you will find that they all light up at different intensities and different colors. if you want your arrays to look the slightest bit decent and homogenous, you will be very disappointed. imagine putting all that work into this project, and your cheap LEDs burn out in a few months. I bought color matched/voltage matched LEDs from lumileds. same kind used in Cadillacs. very high quality, meaning they cost at least 40 cents a piece. multiply that by 877 LEDs used in this project. some places sell these LEDs for $1/piece. the labor is what kills you. you'd really have to twist my arm for me to do this kit for less than $3000. and that's if I like you. I'm sure I could speed up the process now that I know all the details and what works. but still - we are talking literally hundreds of hours

Haha! Jo0 bitches = t e h p w n 3 d.

Keith2172Oct-12-06 01:01 PM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#96857, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 30

how many LED's in per piece? Like if one were to just do the lights and not the centerpiece, how many LED's?

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

edxmonOct-12-06 01:14 PM
1006 posts,
#96858, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 31

allow me to ask this:

I am a complete, and i mean COMPLETE novice in electronics:
How much easier would this become if i just wanted to have the basic function on these lights? (dim when on, brighter when steping on the breaks, and when using turn signals) As soon as i get those books, anf have the theory right, would it be ok if i start asking you about the stuff once i get onto the hands on?

Originally posted by ez

dsmmythOct-12-06 03:59 PM
Member since Aug 24th 2004
1178 posts,
#96859, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 32

allow me to ask this: I am a complete, and i mean COMPLETE novice in electronics: How much easier would this become if i just wanted to have the basic function on these lights? (dim when on, brighter when steping on the breaks, and when using turn signals) As soon as i get those books, anf have the theory right, would it be ok if i start asking you about the stuff once i get onto the hands on?

Lol, paint your car first!

1998 Eclipse GS

GS-T Axleback|CAI|OBX 4-1 Header|AF/X UDP|

Originally posted by Kaoz78
Did you happen to look at the post date of this topic? I didn't think so there Jesus. Way to raise Lazarus, buddy.

edxmonOct-12-06 04:45 PM
1006 posts,
#96860, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 33

HOW DO YOU KNOW IT HASNT BEEN PAINTED ALREADY?!

P.S. no it hasnt been painted hahahaha. But i got good excuses...ummm family keeps asking me for money, and well i let them borrow it. plus i wanna get alil more buffer cash JUST incase

Originally posted by ez

ezOct-13-06 09:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#96876, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 32

allow me to ask this: I am a complete, and i mean COMPLETE novice in electronics: How much easier would this become if i just wanted to have the basic function on these lights? (dim when on, brighter when steping on the breaks, and when using turn signals) As soon as i get those books, anf have the theory right, would it be ok if i start asking you about the stuff once i get onto the hands on?

That would be relatively easy, and something I think you could do if you just read up on electronics like you said earlier. I'll help you out as you get ready for the project. read up on pulse width modulation and how it works with LEDs to control dimming. that will be the principle mechanism you will use to switch from brakes and night markers, signals

As for the earlier post, asking how many LEDs per tail, I don't have my schematics here but I'm guessing about 273 LEDs per left and right tail.

donnyb373Oct-13-06 08:18 PM
1122 posts,
#96886, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 10

did you use red leds or white?, im prderign supplies and stuff to try this but inthe first 2 pics it looks liek your lenses are clear, and you used red leds.......

BlackMagicOct-12-06 05:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1243 posts,
#96865, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by ez
Thought you guys may want to see how I've wasted my spare time these past few months. I converted my taillights to full LED, as well as the centerpiece. I custom made a controller for lighting effects. The controller let's me do special effects (see video) on top of the regular brake/marker/left and right signal effects. Now when I signal left, the 24 arrays in the tails make a wave to the left. Tails with lights on: Brakes: Center piece: Completed, with red lens on: New 3rd tail light: Controller: Installed controller: video: http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/ez1_03/?action=view& current=ezled_0002.flv ^you have to take out the spaces between "&" and "current"

LOL at nightrider

looks good man

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1133
*form follows function*

96rs-tOct-13-06 12:41 AM
2203 posts,
#96867, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 35

lol, good one Erik. A retrofit would be cake for you having done this amazing work you've presented us with, but I would definitely help you if you needed it.

SoCal DSM

ezOct-13-06 09:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#96878, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 35

he he Curtis, that effect was MANDATORY.

I can post another video of the daily driver effects if some of you want. The left and right signals are just like the knight rider effect, except that the light doesn't go back in forth, just one direction. I was in stop-and-go traffic yesterday on the freeway and a tuner pulled up to my side - he saw my signal and asked where I bought the lights

In regards to a post further up, I got most of my electronic components from Digikey. I recommend them, they have fast shipping and excellent tech support.

thanks for all the compliments

boosted60trimrstOct-13-06 12:25 PM
Member since Sep 10th 2005
1183 posts,
#96881, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 38
Oct-13-06 12:26 PM by boosted60trimrst

ez do you know of any good sites/books to learn how to do this stuff ? btw i gotta say it again man . AMAZING .

LED tails : Done for now!
99 eclipse rst
cobalt blue met. paint,star stage 2 upgraded t3/t460trim turbo ceramic coated , polished compressor housing, ,optima yellow top, chrome i/c piping ,front mount ntercooler ,apexi turbo timer . zeitronix wb02 ,faze oil ,boost gauge,egt ,bosch 4x plugs,kyb agx struts, pro kit springs.17''adr venomous rims,Falken azenis ,brembo dilled/slotted rotors ,turbo xs bov ,oil catch can,manual shiftknob,autometer pyrometer egt , vortech sfmu,b&m fuel pressure gauge ,accel 310cc injectors ,gasketmatched and polished intake manifold ,58mm throttle body ,no egr,polished turbonetics wastegate,fuel pump rewire,homade fcd and a lot more .LED reverse lights ,sidemarkers and tails .atx to mtx swap . South bend tz clutch . Tons more
http://imageshack.us>

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=boosted60trimrst
My contribution to the wiki
http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=crank%20arm%20spindle%20mod%20to%20fit%20power%20panels

ChamukoOct-13-06 10:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#96887, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 39

congrats man! I dont know how you guys can keep all the details neat and still put effort into sharing lol...im so lazy...

EDX, read up on PWM like EZ said, head over to hidplanet's LED section. It should point you to the right sites.

What pic are you using EZ?

its the best when they ask where did you buy em...you give em the "are you retarded" look and say, did it myself...and drive off lol...

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

96rs-tOct-14-06 12:29 PM
2203 posts,
#96891, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 41
Oct-14-06 12:30 PM by 96rs-t

I would have told them Autozone is the place to get them, and would have gave them a thumbs up just like this -

SoCal DSM

susafussOct-14-06 01:42 PM
Member since Feb 24th 2005
200 posts,
#96892, "RE: full LED tails conversion (video and pics)"
In response to Reply # 42

very nice work, i know that kind be a peta to do, major props.

Also if you don't mind me asking where did you get your supplies and what did you mount the leds to, a bread board? I ask cause i was thinking it would be a cool project for the winter to do a basic function led conversion.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #96821 Previous topic | Next topic