Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #2020
View in linear mode

Subject: "I got motovated, and took apart my car." Previous topic | Next topic
Teamner947Jan-28-06 01:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2020, "I got motovated, and took apart my car."

Back in October I was commuting to class and as I was about to get off the highway I realized I couldn't shift. There was something wrong with my clutch and it would not disengage. I had to ram it through the gears while rev-matching in order to get off the highway and into a safe spot where I could get towed.

Months go by. I am pissed at my car and unmotivated.

Yesterday a friend of mine says he can get an engine lift and I can borrow it for the weekend, so I took advantage of the opportunity and got the engine/transmission out in about 5 hours. I don't think I've ever removed the engine/transmission that fast before. I separated the two hunks of cold grimy metal and discovered that my Clutchmasters 4 puck disk had thrown some springs preventing me from disengaging the clutch. Luckily the clutch did not completely explode, although it appeared to not be very far from spinning itself through the bellhousing. The pressure plate and flywheel seem to be in good shape, they need resurfacing however.

This is not the first time I have lost a clutch disk to a spring. A little over 2 years ago a spring fell out of my Spec 6 puck disk. I was pretty upset.

So, I'm in the market for an unsprung disk. I don't want that liability in my bellhousing anymore, chatter be damned.

Anyone else do some serious wrenching this weekend?

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car., totaleklipse97, Jan-28-06 02:08 PM, #1
RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car., jsupetran, Jan-28-06 02:15 PM, #2
RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car., BlackMagic, Jan-28-06 02:16 PM, #3
      RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car., ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-28-06 03:34 PM, #4
           RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car., 98starGS, Jan-28-06 03:47 PM, #5
                RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car., Blizare, Jan-28-06 09:13 PM, #6
                     RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jan-29-06 01:24 AM, #7
                          RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car., ScreaminE, Jan-29-06 04:51 AM, #8
                          RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car., SILVERNT, Jan-29-06 06:25 AM, #9
                               RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car., Teametx, Jan-29-06 10:25 AM, #11
                               RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car., Teamner947, Jan-29-06 04:47 PM, #12
                                    RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car., SILVERNT, Jan-29-06 06:57 PM, #13
                          RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car., BlackMagic, Jan-29-06 08:48 AM, #10

totaleklipse97Jan-28-06 02:08 PM
Member since May 14th 2003
3589 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2024, "RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car."
In response to Reply # 0

no nate but im in about the same boat you were.. i am facing alot of work and with the recent winter season very unmotivated to get anything done with it. Good to finally see you getting it taken care of. hopefully this is a big step towards getting that car back to where you want it to be.

-----------------------------------

My DSM registry.......Powered By Exile Racing
VW= The joy of driving
DSM= The frustration of fixing

The wonders of 2gnt chat:

‹totaleklipse97› so what benefits do i get from being ur e-boyfriend
‹Jen› uh... the honor?
‹totaleklipse97› somehow i guess i got that title now
‹Jen› somehow.....

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

jsupetranJan-28-06 02:15 PM
Member since May 04th 2002
4359 posts,
#2026, "RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car."
In response to Reply # 1

I SHOULD finish my molding of switches but I keep changing my mind on where to put my gauges. Sooo I've been driving with a pink bondoed center console. I'll get motivated again one of these days...

New Car:
2004 350z base, Nismo CAI, pioneer avic-n1 (dvd, cd, navi)

Old Car:
1998 GS with hrc stage 2, HID 6000k conversion kit, AEM UEGO wideband, sfmu, ml, prokits, Greddy warning gauges: egt, boost gauge, and oil pressure, apexi tt, haydans tranny cooler, costum dp, groundwires, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler
Boostin since Aug 03.

nothing like driving with the windows down and the music low: i love hearing the turbo spool, swwwhhhttt!!!!

BlackMagicJan-28-06 02:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1243 posts,
#2027, "RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car."
In response to Reply # 1

at least you took it apart for something as big as a clutch. i had to take the motor out and apart for an o-ring

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1133
*form follows function*

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-28-06 03:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#2032, "RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car."
In response to Reply # 3

I took care of a MAJOR project Friday. I changed my crank pulley. haha. Took all of 25min.
It came off in 2 pcs too.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

98starGSJan-28-06 03:47 PM
Member since Nov 11th 2003
528 posts,
#2033, "RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car."
In response to Reply # 4

i planned on gettin the motor/ tranny back into my car and get the megasquirt wired in but my db37 connect is shit and i need a new one. so i get all preped at the shop just to put it all away. but theres always next weekend.

BlizareJan-28-06 09:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#2039, "RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car."
In response to Reply # 5

I need a new clutch in the talon so.........i'm just drivin the silvia right now. LOL i'm too lazy the last month and I hate the feeling of a slipping clutch

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJan-29-06 01:24 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#2042, "RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car."
In response to Reply # 6

This is a bad time of year for motivation, actually for me that never seems to end.

Its amazing how good you get at removing the motor and/or trans. I think the best tiem i got om my 97 motor was 1.5 hour to remove the motor for the damn o-ring left out of the bedplate. The trans i can R&R in 2.5 hours. Granted thats with all the Bolts and axles having been broken loose recently.

Kinda like taking pride in something you shouldnt be so proud of eh?

Terry

ScreaminEJan-29-06 04:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
815 posts,
#2045, "RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car."
In response to Reply # 7

I did some wrenching. I have never tore down an engine at all before. I had a dead cylinder in the 1g so I pulled off the head. I was so worried that my bottom end was toast that I took my head off in a little under an hour.

Bottom end is fine and I already got a good N/T head from the junkyard that I'm about to switch cams. Now I'm just waiting on my ARP's and the MLS head gasket.

SILVERNTJan-29-06 06:25 AM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
4543 posts,
#2049, "RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car."
In response to Reply # 8

nate, i have a brand new Spec stage 5. It has an unsprung solid iron disc. it also has the high clamp pressure plate option. if youre interested in it, contact me. its already boxed up.

TeametxJan-29-06 10:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#2065, "RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car."
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by SILVERNT
nate, i have a brand new Spec stage 5. It has an unsprung solid iron disc. it also has the high clamp pressure plate option. if youre interested in it, contact me. its already boxed up.

Oh no! :-O I still don't have the money for that, probably wont have money / time until the spring. The 300zx died for good on friday and it's sitting in a wal-mart parking lot by my work 40 miles away from home. Now I have to drive the eclipse, which sucks cause it's having trans problems too. It had a shitty rebuild and my 2nd gear syncros are non-existant and my speedo ring came off the diff. :/ But i'm gonna have to rock it for the rest of the winter. I'm about to change the oil and I just put my Sirius radio in it. I hope the 300 wasnt towed, I gotta pull the steering wheel/hub, radio and the seats. Then it's off to a car donation place. I'm pretty sure the timing belt went out. The ignition rotor wasnt spinning at all. I wish I would have had time to fix the tranny on my eclipse before this all went down. Damn job.

Teamner947Jan-29-06 04:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#2085, "RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car."
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by SILVERNT

An iron disk? Good god. I've never driven anything with an iron clutch disk before. Is it streetable even in the loosest definition? I'm willing to put up with a lot. For example can I actually be stopped on a hill and slowly accelerate or will I just spin the tires or overheat the assembly? I really liked how my Clutchmasters ceramic puck disk felt until it broke.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

SILVERNTJan-29-06 06:57 PM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
4543 posts,
#2105, "RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car."
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by ner947
Originally posted by SILVERNT nate, i have a brand new Spec stage 5. It has an unsprung solid iron disc. it also has the high clamp pressure plate option. if youre interested in it, contact me. its already boxed up.
An iron disk? Good god. I've never driven anything with an iron clutch disk before. Is it streetable even in the loosest definition? I'm willing to put up with a lot. For example can I actually be stopped on a hill and slowly accelerate or will I just spin the tires or overheat the assembly? I really liked how my Clutchmasters ceramic puck disk felt until it broke.

i honestly couldnt tell you. I do know that grain has the regular stage 5 with normal pressure plate. according to him, its been working fine. Its a beefy clutch to say the least

BlackMagicJan-29-06 08:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1243 posts,
#2058, "RE: I got motovated, and took apart my car."
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
This is a bad time of year for motivation, actually for me that never seems to end. Its amazing how good you get at removing the motor and/or trans. I think the best tiem i got om my 97 motor was 1.5 hour to remove the motor for the damn o-ring left out of the bedplate. The trans i can R&R in 2.5 hours. Granted thats with all the Bolts and axles having been broken loose recently. Kinda like taking pride in something you shouldnt be so proud of eh? Terry

haha yea i hear you on that o-ring. Can't say I got it out in one and a half hours though, we were having problems getting out some of the suspension bolts on the lower control arm but it's ok we finished it in the weekend, i think i was the only one that had ever pulled a motor though so it was good experience for everyone all around, that and it was just a great time hanging out and meeting all the sova guys. I think the 11th we're going to pull out jeremy's (aggresion's) motor and put in the built one he got. But yea, pulling the motor can be kind of fun

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1133
*form follows function*

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #2020 Previous topic | Next topic