Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #28682
View in linear mode

Subject: "18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorxcasbonxFeb-06-06 10:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28682, "18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing"

I've been doing some searching based on the width of the wheel along with what size tires people are running and if they are having issues with rubbing etc...I'd like to gather some opinion and what has worked from members.

I just picked up some Konig Privat custom wheels, 18 x 8.5" with a 42mm offset. These will be going on after I'm done with my tokico hp and tein s-tech (1.3" drop) spring installation.

The common tire size I'm seeing from searching has been 225/40/18. I've also read of people using a 235/45/18 and claiming no issues with rubbing. I'd really like to run a tire with a 45 series but if rubbing is going to be a serious issue I may have to opt for the 40 series. Also I'd like to hear differences versus a 225 and 235, I know more lateral contact would be some, but I also dont want these wheels to be sticking out fast the fender walls significantlly.

I'd like to know what sizes people have ran and have been successful with and any further information they would like to elaborate on that has been tested. Thanks.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1030

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing, FlyinEsi, Feb-06-06 12:07 PM, #1
RE: 18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing, Moderatorxcasbonx, Feb-06-06 12:46 PM, #2
RE: 18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing, 97esiboosted, Feb-06-06 02:00 PM, #3
RE: 18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing, eclipsedelt, Feb-06-06 08:32 PM, #4
      RE: 18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing, Moderatorxcasbonx, Feb-07-06 04:27 AM, #5
      RE: 18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing, EclipseTenzoR, Feb-07-06 08:06 AM, #6
           RE: 18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing, FlyinEsi, Feb-07-06 08:38 AM, #7
                RE: 18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing, EclipseTenzoR, Feb-07-06 12:38 PM, #8

FlyinEsiFeb-06-06 12:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28683, "RE: 18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing"
In response to Reply # 0

That width matched with a 42mm offset and 1.3" drop will definitely make the 235 tires rub cornering, possibly on dips in the road. The 225's will be close, but you would for sure have to roll the lip in the back. That's a close call. I would try to stick with 18x7.5 with a 225/40 and somewhere around that 42mm offset if you can.

Or, don't lower your car and you should be fine then.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorxcasbonxFeb-06-06 12:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#28684, "RE: 18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing"
In response to Reply # 1
Feb-06-06 12:48 PM by xcasbonx

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
That width matched with a 42mm offset and 1.3" drop will definitely make the 235 tires rub cornering, possibly on dips in the road. The 225's will be close, but you would for sure have to roll the lip in the back. That's a close call. I would try to stick with 18x7.5 with a 225/40 and somewhere around that 42mm offset if you can. Or, don't lower your car and you should be fine then.

Well I already have the wheels and 8.5 is the width so I really don't have much of choice now...I'll make them work. I haven't bought tires yet but I'll probably go with a 225/40...but I'd still like to hear what others have to say before I make a decision.

I was pretty sure there would be rubbing running the 235's. Also I could use a brief write-up on a correct how-to for rolling the fenders. I'll try running them before lowering the car and see how they are, and then run them with the car lowered. I think this would help future members if they ever travel down this road.

It's just odd that I've read several different opinions of what "works" and what "will not"...I guess a lot of that has to do with the personal preference of how much tires rubbing appeals to them. I'd really think that you'd only be worried about rubbing when turning at 100% ex...u-turns.

Thanks for your input.

97esiboostedFeb-06-06 02:00 PM
Member since Feb 03rd 2005
125 posts,
#28685, "RE: 18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing"
In response to Reply # 2

I had 235 on with no offset and there was no rubbing but there was min. clearance.

]
http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1326

eclipsedeltFeb-06-06 08:32 PM
Member since May 14th 2003
38 posts,
#28691, "RE: 18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing"
In response to Reply # 1

Do you think 18X8 with 225/40/18 will not rub on my car that is lowered with eibac pro kit? Do I need an offset for that?
Thanks!

Paul

ModeratorxcasbonxFeb-07-06 04:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#28696, "RE: 18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing"
In response to Reply # 4

C'mon, where are the suspension guru's at? I know some of you are lurking out there somewhere.

EclipseTenzoRFeb-07-06 08:06 AM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
#28697, "RE: 18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by eclipsedelt
Do you think 18X8 with 225/40/18 will not rub on my car that is lowered with eibac pro kit? Do I need an offset for that? Thanks! Paul

I'll let you know real soon. I have prokits and just bought new tires. So when my girlfriend installs them back at home and drives the car she'll let me know if there are any issues with that tire size.

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

FlyinEsiFeb-07-06 08:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#28698, "RE: 18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing"
In response to Reply # 6

I had 18x8 with a 45 offset with 235/40's lowered about 2-2.5" and even with CUT OUT rear fender lips I still rubbed. I could not cut any more without it being noticable on the outside.

The ADR's are 18x7.5 with 225/40's still lowered 2-2.5" and I still rub but only if I hit a huge wave in the road going fast and the whole weight of the car comes down on the suspension quickly. But my suspension is pretty soft, so a really rough riding suspension may not do that.

You also have to be careful how much you bring the tires in, because you only have so much clearance between the tires and the control arms.

EclipseTenzoRFeb-07-06 12:38 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
#28703, "RE: 18 x 8.5 wheel fitment and tire sizing"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
I had 18x8 with a 45 offset with 235/40's lowered about 2-2.5" and even with CUT OUT rear fender lips I still rubbed. I could not cut any more without it being noticable on the outside. The ADR's are 18x7.5 with 225/40's still lowered 2-2.5" and I still rub but only if I hit a huge wave in the road going fast and the whole weight of the car comes down on the suspension quickly. But my suspension is pretty soft, so a really rough riding suspension may not do that. You also have to be careful how much you bring the tires in, because you only have so much clearance between the tires and the control arms.

Well your response answers my question hope it helped him as well. On another note, you ever think about selling your car?

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #28682 Previous topic | Next topic