Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26844
View in linear mode

Subject: "master bushing set" Previous topic | Next topic
velochespike18sApr-12-05 06:37 PM
Member since Jun 28th 2004
3 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26844, "master bushing set"

I have had a rear clunking noise for about 2 years now...i took it to a shop to get it looked at and they told me that one of my bushings was frozen and that my upper rear control arm needed to be replaced. do i need to replace the whole arm or can i just replace the bushings and the noise will go away? i just got the master set and im putting it on soon is that all i need to do?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: master bushing set, mcgyvr, Apr-13-05 04:11 AM, #1
RE: master bushing set, Ducking_Fumbass, Apr-13-05 05:27 AM, #2
      RE: master bushing set, wite96gs, Apr-13-05 07:21 AM, #3
           RE: master bushing set, Ducking_Fumbass, Apr-13-05 07:39 AM, #4
                RE: master bushing set, turbo8u, Apr-13-05 09:20 AM, #5
                     RE: master bushing set, Ducking_Fumbass, Apr-13-05 10:25 AM, #6
                          RE: master bushing set, thedawg, Apr-13-05 10:52 AM, #7
RE: master bushing set, velochespike18s, Apr-14-05 01:53 PM, #8
RE: master bushing set, Ducking_Fumbass, Apr-15-05 01:05 AM, #9
      RE: master bushing set, velochespike18s, Apr-16-05 05:56 PM, #10
           RE: master bushing set, Ducking_Fumbass, Apr-18-05 06:01 AM, #11

mcgyvrApr-13-05 04:11 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26845, "RE: master bushing set"
In response to Reply # 0

replace the bushings and see if it helps.
BTW have fun with the master set its a PITA to get some of the bushings out/in. better have a nice arbor press.
sometimes a torch also works to burn the old ones out.

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Ducking_FumbassApr-13-05 05:27 AM
Member since Aug 30th 2004
1147 posts,
#26846, "RE: master bushing set"
In response to Reply # 1

All it takes are wrenches, sockets, ratchets, beer, time, patience, a MAPP gas torch, and a sawzall. With those tools, the prothane kit can be installed. The Energy Suspension kit is a little bastard, though, with one piece bushings. For that, you need a press (20 ton or so to really push those little fuckers in).

wite96gsApr-13-05 07:21 AM
Member since Mar 20th 2004
365 posts,
#26848, "RE: master bushing set"
In response to Reply # 2

just curious, what's the difference between the energy suspension kit and the prothane kit? is one any better than the other?

-----------
'96 Eclipse GS
'94 Talon TSi AWD
www.SOVADSM.com

All gone now. Too bad, so sad.

Ducking_FumbassApr-13-05 07:39 AM
1147 posts,
#26849, "RE: master bushing set"
In response to Reply # 3

The prothane bushings are stiffer, and consequently made in a 2 piece design. The Energy Suspension bushings are a one piece design.

In other words, the ES bushings look like a thread spool, and the Prothanes look like a thread spool cut in the middle of the narrow part.

turbo8uApr-13-05 09:20 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#26852, "RE: master bushing set"
In response to Reply # 4

definately go with the energy kit over the prothanes, trust me on that one.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

Ducking_FumbassApr-13-05 10:25 AM
1147 posts,
#26855, "RE: master bushing set"
In response to Reply # 5

I can't say that I concur on that, Josh. I like the Prothanes much better, if for no other reason than ease of isntall.

thedawgApr-13-05 10:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#26856, "RE: master bushing set"
In response to Reply # 6

One of my Energy Suspension bushings has gotten eaten up and destroyed only six months after installing it. I'm not really happy about that for the 4 hours it took me to install it.

I'm selling the rest of my Energy Suspension rear kit, which might help you save a few bucks. $50 shipped, only one bushing is missing - the one where the lube can is. (Its the one that goes at the top of the hub arm.)

velochespike18sApr-14-05 01:53 PM
3 posts,
#26894, "RE: master bushing set"
In response to Reply # 0

Another question i had is when i install the kit i was informed that the sleeves might break trying to get them out. Has anyone had any luck not breaking them when removing the old bushings? and if they do break will i need to get new sleeves or will the bushing kit still work?

Ducking_FumbassApr-15-05 01:05 AM
1147 posts,
#26899, "RE: master bushing set"
In response to Reply # 8

The sleeves are only used with the factory bushings. I cut mine out with a Sawzall, so I guess it's alright if you break them.

The sleeves are in place because the rubber is too soft to press in by itself. Urethane, however, can be pressed, pushed, beaten on, and pounded in. If you had the prothane kit, it would just take a couple of taps with a hammer to get them in, though.

velochespike18sApr-16-05 05:56 PM
3 posts,
#26912, "RE: master bushing set"
In response to Reply # 9

what is the difference between the prothane kit and the energy suspension polyurethane kit that i have?

Ducking_FumbassApr-18-05 06:01 AM
1147 posts,
#26924, "RE: master bushing set"
In response to Reply # 10

5 more beers, and an additional 4 hours of swearing at them, hoping that they just pop into the race.

The ES bushings are softer, and of a one-piece design.

The Prothane bushings are rock-solid, and of a two piece design for ease of installation (hah!).

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26844 Previous topic | Next topic