Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #5607
View in linear mode

Subject: "W I D E est rims that'll fit" Previous topic | Next topic
thisismygsJan-13-02 07:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
730 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5607, "W I D E est rims that'll fit"

what are the widest rims that'll fit on the eclipse? is it 8.5"? Can you fit the same width in the front and the rear, or does the rear take wider rims?

I THINK that 8.5" is the widest we can go, and the rear doesn't take wider rims, but i'm not sure. let me know guys!

dgonzalez52@yahoo.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, Mystic511, Jan-13-02 09:51 AM, #1
RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Jan-13-02 10:30 AM, #2
      RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, mitseclps, Jan-13-02 10:47 AM, #3
           RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Jan-13-02 11:27 AM, #4
                RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, thisismygs, Jan-13-02 01:08 PM, #5
                     RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Jan-13-02 01:14 PM, #6
                          RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Jan-13-02 01:17 PM, #7
                          RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, thisismygs, Jan-13-02 01:19 PM, #8
                               RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, Amish_Eclipse, Jan-13-02 02:31 PM, #9
                                    RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, 1TuffRS, Jan-14-02 02:50 AM, #10
                                         RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, Kmonster, Mar-14-08 05:10 PM, #11
                                              RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, goalie40, Mar-15-08 02:22 PM, #12
                                              RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, dalesmitsu, Mar-15-08 08:45 PM, #13
                                                   RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, goalie40, Mar-15-08 09:13 PM, #14
                                                        RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, Fallen4ng31, Mar-18-08 02:29 AM, #15
                                                             RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, Qman, Apr-14-08 02:28 PM, #16
                                                                  RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, eclipse982nrRST, Apr-14-08 04:54 PM, #17
                                                                       RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, Qman, Apr-15-08 05:56 AM, #18
                                                                            RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-15-08 12:07 PM, #19
                                              RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, Kmonster, May-10-08 12:09 PM, #20
                                                   RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit, Mesmerized, Jun-05-08 09:03 AM, #21

Mystic511Jan-13-02 09:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1582 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5608, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 0

i know rx7 rims fit on our car.. and those are 8's right? i'd like to know too.. cuz i'm like that car commercial... ee ahoo a oolah... wider is better. =P

16.1 @ 87.11
http://www.virtuallyinfamous.com

ARD 57mm tb and p&p manifold, Neuspeed STB, Pro-kits, Illuminas, Injen CAI with K&N, 2.5" pacesetter catback,
AF/X UDP, Rear STB, Powerslot rotors, RRE SS Brakelines.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorEvuLFleAJan-13-02 10:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#5609, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 1

Pretty dumb question because you can put 20" wide wheels as long as the offset is crazy. The biggest I would put would be 8" with 235 being the largest tire I would put on.

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

mitseclpsJan-13-02 10:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1018 posts,
#5610, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 2

how about 17x9.5??? (that's one of the sizes of the new lighweight volk wheels that just came out...17lbs)

-bryan
'98 rst

ModeratorEvuLFleAJan-13-02 11:27 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#5611, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 3

As long as the offset works. It might stick out who knows. Its your choice, call them and ask.

98 ESi
95 GS

thisismygsJan-13-02 01:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
730 posts,
#5612, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 4

okay, sorry for the "dumb question". what i MEANT was what is the widest wheel that will fit WITHOUT sticking out from the fender or rear quarter panel? there, is that better?

dgonzalez52@yahoo.com

ModeratorEvuLFleAJan-13-02 01:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#5613, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 5

Just dont go farther than a 235 tire. Anything about a 17x8 rim will probably hurt your performance anyway.

98 ESi
95 GS

ModeratorEvuLFleAJan-13-02 01:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#5614, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 6

Sorry for calling it dumb btw....

98 ESi
95 GS

thisismygsJan-13-02 01:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
730 posts,
#5615, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 6

>Anything about a 17x8 rim will probably hurt your performance anyway.

really? why do you say that? i would've thought that as wide as you can fit them (the wheels - except for when they stick out, i HATE that) more contact with the road therefore more traction. no? why not?

dgonzalez52@yahoo.com

Amish_EclipseJan-13-02 02:31 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#5616, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 8

your right wider is better but you said without sticking out. anything more than 8 will start to stick out. no point in going wider than 8 cause you will hurt your rain performance.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

1TuffRSJan-14-02 02:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#5617, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 9

well im rollin on 215 tires and when im rolling in the rain its a little scary when compared to rolling on the 14's. I hydroplaned about 5 times while covering about 45 miles, but the handling benefits are worth it

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

KmonsterMar-14-08 05:10 PM
Member since Mar 14th 2008
8 posts,
#31179, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 10
Mar-14-08 05:10 PM by Kmonster

I just put 18x9's on my lowered 'clipse... works fine. +38 offset and 225/40 R18s. close fit, yes.. does it roll... sure does... does it rub... nope.

goalie40Mar-15-08 02:22 PM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#31184, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 11
Mar-15-08 02:27 PM by goalie40

In another post I was talking about my setup. Im running Evo 9 rims with the stock advans thats as wide or big as you want

my RS with 205/215? I forget witch one.

I dont have a pic of my GST in photobucket but here is my buddys GSX with the EVO rims and tires same as what I have.

Crappy pic but see how the rim comes flush with the fender. thats a 235 tire

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

dalesmitsuMar-15-08 08:45 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#31186, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by goalie40
In another post I was talking about my setup. Im running Evo 9 rims with the stock advans thats as wide or big as you want my RS with 205/215? I forget witch one. I dont have a pic of my GST in photobucket but here is my buddys GSX with the EVO rims and tires same as what I have. Crappy pic but see how the rim comes flush with the fender. thats a 235 tire

Sweet pic, the second pic are EVO rims looks good but the First pic those are 3G eclipse rims not EVO.

goalie40Mar-15-08 09:13 PM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#31187, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 13

I know wanted to show the difference between the 2 sizes

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

Fallen4ng31Mar-18-08 02:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#31192, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 14
Mar-18-08 02:32 AM by Fallen4ng31

I have 8.5" wide rims, Running 225's. They're nice and flush with the fenders. I just need to drop her, because she sits like a friggin' truck. As to the wet-traction end; I have never experienced any problems there. It's going to boil down to your choice in a tire, anyway. Never cheap out on rubber; You and your passengers lives depend on them.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

QmanApr-14-08 02:28 PM
Member since Jan 28th 2008
4 posts,
#31274, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 15

For the rear you can go with 17x9 for sure cause i have them

but for the front go with 8,5 you'll be good

eclipse982nrRSTApr-14-08 04:54 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#31275, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 16
Apr-14-08 04:56 PM by eclipse982nrRST

Originally posted by Qman
For the rear you can go with 17x9 for sure cause i have them but for the front go with 8,5 you'll be good

9 inch wheels in the rear with a stock 2g body?

That would look stupid IMO.

To the OP, use a 8 inch wide rim all the way, it looks and fits best. Also, for a nice ride, I would use a 235/35 tire.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

QmanApr-15-08 05:56 AM
Member since Jan 28th 2008
4 posts,
#31277, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 17

it won't look stupid
with the right offset it won't even stick out
i have GTR 17x9 they don't stick out
and don't look stupid

RoninEclipse2GApr-15-08 12:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31281, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 18
Apr-15-08 12:08 PM by RoninEclipse2G

Everything depends on the offset. If you keep the factory offset +45mm IIRC 8" with a 235 tire, it's right at the edge of the fender and looks extremely clean. A 9" would require approximatelty +65 or greater to not extend beyond the wheel arch.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

KmonsterMay-10-08 12:09 PM
Member since Mar 14th 2008
8 posts,
#31319, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by Kmonster
I just put 18x9's on my lowered 'clipse... works fine. +38 offset and 225/40 R18s. close fit, yes.. does it roll... sure does... does it rub... nope.

heres the pics to prove it.

front tires are 215/40/R18 and rear has 225/40/R18 keep in mind this car is extremely low. While i have recently had very minor rub marks in the rear there is zero damage to the tires.

MesmerizedJun-05-08 09:03 AM
Member since Apr 05th 2008
28 posts,
#31341, "RE: W I D E est rims that'll fit"
In response to Reply # 20

17 x 8.5 on mine and they rubbed holes in the fender liners..

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #5607 Previous topic | Next topic