Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32322
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??" Previous topic | Next topic
eclipsegs97Nov-22-09 08:59 AM
Member since Dec 06th 2003
15 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32322, "Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??"

As the title suggests, 3 of my Tein Type Flex shocks have leaked and lost all fluid. I am looking for a replacement that is similar to this setup, preferably with a warranty. I paid about $1300 for this back in the day, which is what I'm willing to spend this time.

I really liked the attached pillow ball upper mount the Flex came with, so I'm looking for that feature. Damping force adjustability is not so important to me, as track use will be limited.

If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??, foggy45, May-31-09 09:11 AM, #1
RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??, eclipsegs97, May-31-09 09:56 AM, #2
      RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??, foggy45, May-31-09 12:23 PM, #3
RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??, mitsu95023, Jun-05-09 12:48 PM, #4
RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??, eclipsegs97, Jun-20-09 08:26 PM, #5
      RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??, mitsu95023, Jun-23-09 08:12 AM, #6
           RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??, freelancefool, Jun-24-09 09:10 AM, #7
                RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??, mitsu95023, Jun-25-09 09:02 AM, #8
                     RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??, eclipsed08, Nov-23-09 09:50 PM, #9
                          RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??, Tuxdreamerx, Nov-28-09 12:04 AM, #10

foggy45May-31-09 09:11 AM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32323, "RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??"
In response to Reply # 0

i'll buy them as is right now for $200 paypal in hand

. . .then i will send them back to Tein and have them rebuilt
http://www.tein.com/service/index.html

seriously if you spent 1300 in the beginning why burn it again?

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipsegs97May-31-09 09:56 AM
15 posts,
#32324, "RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??"
In response to Reply # 1

Hey thanks for the link. Didn't know Tein had U.S. facilities. Will check into that. Also, would extreme cold weather have anything to do with the shocks failing? I live in North Dakota where the temp can get to -40 in the winter.

foggy45May-31-09 12:23 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#32325, "RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??"
In response to Reply # 2

+1 for rebuildable parts!

the freezing point of the shock oil is way lower then -40, however i would think that the could have an effect on the seals.
i would think that is where your problem stems from.

ask Tein before you send them in, they might have a "cold weather package" or parts they might be able to put in

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

mitsu95023Jun-05-09 12:48 PM
Member since Mar 23rd 2009
36 posts,
#32327, "RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by eclipsegs97
As the title suggests, 3 of my Tein Type Flex shocks have leaked and lost all fluid. I am looking for a replacement that is similar to this setup, preferably with a warranty. I paid about $1300 for this back in the day, which is what I'm willing to spend this time. I really liked the attached pillow ball upper mount the Flex came with, so I'm looking for that feature. Damping force adjustability is not so important to me, as track use will be limited. If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it!

How many miles on the shocks before they started to leak?

'95 rs turbo project
'97 gs parts car
'01 Audi s4 DD
'80 porsche 911 993 widebody, 3.6ltr

eclipsegs97Jun-20-09 08:26 PM
15 posts,
#32353, "RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??"
In response to Reply # 4

Sorry for the late reply, I guess it was about 40,000 miles until they started to crap out.

mitsu95023Jun-23-09 08:12 AM
36 posts,
#32354, "RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by eclipsegs97
Sorry for the late reply, I guess it was about 40,000 miles until they started to crap out.

hey thanks, im hoping that this same thing doesnt happen to mine, but i guess i'll actually have to finish my car and put them in to find out, it seems strange that such a quality product would begin to crap out with only 40,000 miles on them

'95 rs turbo project
'97 gs parts car
'01 Audi s4 DD

freelancefoolJun-24-09 09:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#32355, "RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??"
In response to Reply # 6

Not really. If you think about it, most cars with coilovers are running much higher spring rates and require much stronger valving to be able to handle that. You are also more likely to drive hard because that is why you buy coilovers.

My Blog

mitsu95023Jun-25-09 09:02 AM
36 posts,
#32359, "RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??"
In response to Reply # 7

i really didn't think of it that way, makes a lot of sense

'95 rs turbo project
'97 gs parts car
'01 Audi s4 DD

eclipsed08Nov-23-09 09:50 PM
Member since Feb 20th 2008
103 posts,
#32615, "RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??"
In response to Reply # 8

Does anyone know if tokico does this? My five ways have just shit the bed in the front.

I didn't mean to highjack this thread, but I just wrote to tokico the other day...and thought this ad was ironic considering I just wrote them.

Thank you

~Russ

Well I have no Check Engine Lights....But I just don't have a engine...LOL

TuxdreamerxNov-28-09 12:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#32620, "RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??"
In response to Reply # 9
Nov-28-09 12:04 AM by Tuxdreamerx

Originally posted by eclipsed08
I didn't mean to highjack this thread,

Not to mention reviving an old thread.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32322 Previous topic | Next topic