Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #15544
View in linear mode

Subject: "tire question" Previous topic | Next topic
KSeclipseFeb-07-03 08:38 PM
Member since Oct 27th 2002
899 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15544, "tire question"

right now i have 17 in konig subzero's on and i they're 7.5 in. wide, my question is that right now i have 225,50,17 dunlop sport a2s and i'm extremely disapointed with them, after 8000 miles they're bald, i'm talking illegaly bald and i wasted 200 bucks a piece for them at a local dealer. Anyways, i've been reading and need a size recomondation, is 215/45/17 a better buy, what exactly would look different from what i have now, keep in mind i live in kansas home of potholes and shitty roads so i cant be going too thin and also want to fill as much wheel gap as possible, thanks so much for your help

Nos Fogger Kit,AemCAI, TopFuel UDP, pacesetter cat-back, ARD bored 57mm t.b., P&P intake mani, Ractive front/rear strut bars,rear tie bar,eibach sportlines,tokico blues, morosso wires, ngkIX plugs, konig subzeros,proj. heads,gunmetal tails, rev.indiglow gauges,reverse light mod

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: tire question, Fast420A, Feb-07-03 11:25 PM, #1
RE: tire question, TeamDR1665, Feb-08-03 06:52 AM, #2
      RE: tire question, Amish_Eclipse, Feb-08-03 10:17 AM, #3
RE: tire question, Karl, Feb-08-03 05:56 PM, #4
RE: tire question, KSeclipse, Feb-08-03 08:27 PM, #5
RE: tire question, KSeclipse, Feb-09-03 08:38 AM, #6
      RE: tire question, jerseystyle1, Feb-09-03 01:27 PM, #7
RE: tire question, KSeclipse, Feb-09-03 04:19 PM, #8
RE: tire question, ModeratorVX100, Feb-10-03 09:11 AM, #9
      RE: tire question, KSeclipse, Feb-10-03 12:03 PM, #10
           RE: tire question, Erik, Feb-10-03 12:41 PM, #11
           RE: tire question, pfmicks, Feb-10-03 05:19 PM, #12
                RE: tire question, winggy96, Feb-11-03 05:18 AM, #13
           RE: tire question, ModeratorVX100, Feb-11-03 06:04 AM, #14

Fast420AFeb-07-03 11:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15545, "RE: tire question"
In response to Reply # 0

You may want to look into the reason they are bald before you shell out a shit load of $$$ for it to happen again. Besides the rims and tires, whats your setup? Are you lowered? Have you had an alignment done after getting the tires? Ball joint recall performed?

________________________________________________________________________________________
Car Sold

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamDR1665Feb-08-03 06:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#15546, "RE: tire question"
In response to Reply # 1

^^^definitely soudns like a good advice. I would want to be sure of the cause before I replace any of the symptoms. It would suck to go through $800 worth of tires that quick again!
And you're right, KS roads are full of shitty potholes! The only thing worse than that is paying to use those lame ass turnpikes in eastern OK. What a rip off

Amish_EclipseFeb-08-03 10:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#15549, "RE: tire question"
In response to Reply # 2
Feb-08-03 10:17 AM by Amish_Eclipse

you should definetly find out why your tires are bald already. 225 45 17 is the right size. 215 45 17 will be narrower and taller in comparison. 8000 miles to go bald sounds like you drive on them really hard or you have camber problems or maybe both. how much are you lowered? have you ever had an alignment with these wheels on? do your tires wear out faster in the rear than the front? did you rotate them?

you should have alignment checked when you go and get new tires. you most likely need both and if you're lowered your possibly not going to be able to get back within spec.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

KarlFeb-08-03 05:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
289 posts,
#15566, "RE: tire question"
In response to Reply # 0

Seems like your camber is off. Are you lowered? You should get an alignment done.

Karl
97 GS
04 BMW 330i ZHP

KSeclipseFeb-08-03 08:27 PM
899 posts,
#15573, "RE: tire question"
In response to Reply # 0

whats wierd is i'm not lowered at all, suspension is all stock, i'm a 98 so havent had to do ball joint recall, it seems all the tires wear different, yes i've had allingment done 2 times and i never really peel them out, are the dunlop sport a2's just too soft for daily driving?, also the rear passenger one is totally bald, i mean i'm waiting for hte wires to start poking out, and on the inner side there's still some tread, the driver rear tire is low but not bald yet

Nos Fogger Kit,AemCAI, TopFuel UDP, pacesetter cat-back, ARD bored 57mm t.b., P&P intake mani, Ractive front/rear strut bars,rear tie bar,eibach sportlines,tokico blues, morosso wires, ngkIX plugs, konig subzeros,proj. heads,gunmetal tails, rev.indiglow gauges,reverse light mod

KSeclipseFeb-09-03 08:38 AM
899 posts,
#15576, "RE: tire question"
In response to Reply # 5

anyone?

jerseystyle1Feb-09-03 01:27 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
3135 posts,
#15577, "RE: tire question"
In response to Reply # 6

Why does having a 98 matter about the ball joint recall? I have a 99 and I still had it done. Call mitsubishi and give them your VIN and they will tell you if you need it done.

Allan
2008 Magnetic Black 350z NISMO /1976 Austin Mini 1098 Special (export)

Member# 1980

KSeclipseFeb-09-03 04:19 PM
899 posts,
#15582, "RE: tire question"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm not lowered 17/7.5in rims 225/50/17 dunlops and crazy problems and need suggestions on new inexpensive tires. what size should i do and how do i read those numbers on the tires.

ModeratorVX100Feb-10-03 09:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#15594, "RE: tire question"
In response to Reply # 8

Get the alignment checked anyway. Even if you are not lowered the car can go out of alignment from normal use.

And, for cheaper tires in about the size range you are looking for, try looking at the Bridgestone Potenza RE72, theya re an older tire design, but still a good design and rather cheap for what you get.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

KSeclipseFeb-10-03 12:03 PM
899 posts,
#15599, "RE: tire question"
In response to Reply # 9

my rear tire looks sorta crooked like wierd not camber but i think the caster is off, is that possible? if i look at the back of my car from like 20 feet away the tires are /\ but not as dramatic

ErikFeb-10-03 12:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
#15601, "RE: tire question"
In response to Reply # 10

Man you have a 4 wheel alignment prob. Have you been getting 4 wheel alignments or 2 wheel. Camber will cause uneven wear similiar to tire pressure wear probs. Not too many places offer 2 wheel but I'd def go get one. Pot holes WILL cause that-- I kow b/c my parents live in OP and I live in Pittsburg (1/2 the streets are brick). I have taken my car and my fiance's Neon (both lowered) to a Burnett's Auto on 135th and Quivira. They are honest and I know they use a Hunter machine to align cars. They also give a printout before and after. It's about $65 to get it done.

Shit is all apart. Typical...

pfmicksFeb-10-03 05:19 PM
Member since Oct 10th 2002
1349 posts,
#15606, "RE: tire question"
In response to Reply # 11

I recommend the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 tires, they are the best deal for the price. Good luck

User banned for scamming members on 2GNT, WIDSM, and CHITOWNDSM. This user and his brother Jason Ames have been involved with theft of parts from other DSM members. This individual is not trustworthy and should not be involved in any type of sale.

winggy96Feb-11-03 05:18 AM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
8 posts,
#15612, "RE: tire question"
In response to Reply # 12

You can get a lifetime 4-wheel alignment from Firestone for $109. I got one and had it aligned 3 times so it's paid off. Just make sure that you get it aligned perfectly. The first 2 alignments for me were off, so I wore out (cupping) the inside shoulders of my Bridgestone Potenza S-02s. By the way, I'm extremely happy with those tires...

"When I see an accident, I put my foot down--HARD--because I know everyone else is lifting his."

ModeratorVX100Feb-11-03 06:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#15614, "RE: tire question"
In response to Reply # 10

>my rear tire looks sorta crooked like wierd not camber but i
>think the caster is off, is that possible?

Of course that is possible. But what you are referring to is TOE IN AND TOE OUT, not caster.

Caster is the angle to which the steering pivot axis is tilted forward or rearward from vertical, as viewed from the side. If the pivot axis is tilted backward (that is, the top pivot is positioned farther rearward than the bottom pivot), then the caster is positive; if it's tilted forward, then the caster is negative.

Caster is therefore referred to in relation to the front wheels. And, caster does change with suspension travel. In the nominal position, caster may be positive and then go to negative under bump, for example.

refer to this webpage for a more detailed explanation

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

On an independent suspension car there will be a toe control arm on the rear suspension. That can be adjusted to correct for toe in and toe out that has gone out of alignment. Get a 4 wheel alignment done and you should be all set, just make sure the shop knows what to correct camber and toe settings are for our cars.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #15544 Previous topic | Next topic