Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33761
View in linear mode

Subject: "Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?" Previous topic | Next topic
valdeelricoJan-19-13 07:57 PM
Member since Mar 06th 2009
41 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33761, "Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?"
Jan-19-13 08:11 PM by valdeelrico

Pulled in tonight to get a few things from my ex-gf place while she is out of town and BOOM!

http://sdrv.ms/VRX0ou

http://sdrv.ms/VRXyed

http://sdrv.ms/VDnPvK

http://sdrv.ms/VRYjno

What parts do I need to replace? i was thinking only the CV Axle but it looks as if the control arm is disconnected too. Tell me what you think? I'm going to have to get this done before she returns tomorrow from her trip.

Thanx guys!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?, Islandertalon, Jan-19-13 09:28 PM, #1
RE: Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?, valdeelrico, Jan-20-13 09:01 AM, #2
RE: Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?, SilvrEclips, Jan-20-13 09:44 AM, #3
      RE: Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?, Babbz413, Jan-20-13 09:46 AM, #4
      RE: Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?, valdeelrico, Jan-20-13 10:06 AM, #5
           RE: Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?, megaskillz, Jan-20-13 11:05 AM, #6
RE: Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?, valdeelrico, Jan-21-13 12:13 PM, #7
      RE: Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?, ez, Jan-22-13 11:07 PM, #8

IslandertalonJan-19-13 09:28 PM
Member since Dec 19th 2006
46 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33762, "RE: Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?"
In response to Reply # 0
Jan-19-13 09:29 PM by Islandertalon

Control arm was the cause (search for a recall to read more). Axle should be fine, but will need a new boot as well as a cleaning an new grease.

I would also check the tire/fender to make sure no damage was caused. Also check the brake line to make sure it didn't get pulled on and start leaking/rip. Judging by the thread title I'm guessing you were very lucky and just stopped before it happened. Might as well check the other ball joints while your down there to be safe.

When I replaced my axle boot most parts stores had the wrong part number listed. I believe it needs to have three semi circles to seal on the axle cup, parts store ones did have any semi circles. You will understand what I'm talking about when you remove the old one.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

valdeelricoJan-20-13 09:01 AM
41 posts,
#33763, "RE: Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?"
In response to Reply # 1

Okay great, I'm just getting up now to call for parts. I was just going to buy a new CV axle but ill skip that a put back together my current one. Ill keep my eyes open to better understand the semicircles and thanks you for the quick response.

SilvrEclipsJan-20-13 09:44 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#33764, "RE: Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?"
In response to Reply # 2

Rockauto was the only place I was able to find the right axle boot. They also have the best prices on control arms. I would recommend shopping there if you have a few days to wait for parts.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

Babbz413Jan-20-13 09:46 AM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
#33765, "RE: Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?"
In response to Reply # 3

Been there. done that. Thank you chrysler.

95 GS Boosted

valdeelricoJan-20-13 10:06 AM
41 posts,
#33766, "RE: Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?"
In response to Reply # 3
Jan-20-13 10:09 AM by valdeelrico

Originally posted by SilvrEclips
Rockauto was the only place I was able to find the right axle boot. They also have the best prices on control arms. I would recommend shopping there if you have a few days to wait for parts.

Oh no I need this done in the next 5 hrs. but I'll give them buzz next time.Thanks!

megaskillzJan-20-13 11:05 AM
Member since Oct 12th 2008
105 posts,
#33767, "RE: Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?"
In response to Reply # 5

The same thing happened to me on the same side so I know what you are going through. Judging by your pics, it looks like your fender is bent as well. Good luck with getting it fixed in time.

98 GS manual - ATMT completed
91 Hyundai Excel- 4g63t swap pending
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2553845/1998-mitsubishi-eclipse

valdeelricoJan-21-13 12:13 PM
41 posts,
#33768, "RE: Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Islandertalon
Control arm was the cause (search for a recall to read more).... When I replaced my axle boot most parts stores had the wrong part number listed. I believe it needs to have three semi circles to seal on the axle cup, parts store ones did have any semi circles. You will understand what I'm talking about when you remove the old one.

Oh those 3 semi-circles... Argh!!!!

ezJan-22-13 11:07 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#33769, "RE: Park, Bang, Crash! Was that my axle?"
In response to Reply # 7

Damn, that looks dangerous. Thank goodness it happened after you parked, and not on the freeway.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33761 Previous topic | Next topic