Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32791
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorCorbinMar-30-10 07:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32791, "Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"

I need more traction than my 215 tread width tires can provide, so I am looking to squeeze as much rubber underneath the car as possible. I want to properly support that rubber with the appropriate width wheel. I am OK with running the wheel flush with the side of the car, but it cannot noticeably stick out. I do need to turn corners, so the tire must not touch the fender liners. The car is fairly high with only a 1-1.2" drop (H&R OE). I would like to hear from a few people running 235-245 tread width tires on 8.5-9" wheels. Ideally, I want to know the offset of the wheel you run and if there are any issues. After some searching, I believe that an 8.5" wheel with 42 mm offset and 235 tread width tires will fit. If I could go 9" and 245 tread, that would be worth considering. Anyone running these combinations sucessfully?

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims, AdministratorCODE4, Mar-30-10 08:41 PM, #1
RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims, baconater3000, Mar-30-10 09:37 PM, #2
      RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims, AdministratorCODE4, Mar-30-10 09:46 PM, #3
           RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims, baconater3000, Mar-30-10 11:26 PM, #4
                RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims, Moderatorxcasbonx, Mar-31-10 07:54 AM, #5
                     RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-31-10 10:44 AM, #6
                          RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims, baconater3000, Apr-01-10 02:32 AM, #7
                               RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-01-10 10:28 AM, #8
                                    RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims, ModeratorCorbin, Apr-01-10 07:37 PM, #9
                                         RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims, electrohead, Apr-01-10 08:45 PM, #10
                                              RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Apr-06-10 09:27 PM, #11
RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims, ez, Apr-07-10 11:35 AM, #12
RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims, ModeratorCorbin, Apr-15-10 06:57 PM, #13
      RE: Need people with 8.5, Warmage12, Jun-12-10 11:46 AM, #14
           RE: Need people with 8.5, ModeratorCorbin, Apr-02-13 07:40 PM, #15
RE: Need people with 8.5, Speedmonger, Apr-03-13 07:47 PM, #16
RE: Need people with 8.5, TurbchargdSpydr, Aug-01-13 01:12 PM, #17

AdministratorCODE4Mar-30-10 08:41 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32792, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-30-10 08:44 PM by CODE4

Not dedicated to 2G's, but check it out, it may have some educational info.

http://mitsu-media.com/showthread.php?t=8860

FWIW, look at AZDave's set up with 18x8 Volks, with 235's mounted. He is on Eibach Prokits.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=7&page=&topic_id=103000&prev_page=show_topic#103114

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

baconater3000Mar-30-10 09:37 PM
Member since Aug 11th 2009
104 posts,
#32793, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 1

Why don't you just go to tire rack...They will help with a lot of your questions Corbin.

‹noboost› Four gee's and 63 years ago, our forefathers brought forth on this continent, a new dsm, concieved in Normal Illiniois...

Originally posted by barza21
barza + turbo = honda owning!!!!

AdministratorCODE4Mar-30-10 09:46 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#32794, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by baconater3000
Why don't you just go to tire rack...They will help with a lot of your questions Corbin.

Not with this one.

---

2012 2500HD LML

baconater3000Mar-30-10 11:26 PM
104 posts,
#32795, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by baconater3000 Why don't you just go to tire rack...They will help with a lot of your questions Corbin.
Not with this one.

Ya I noticed...Any other tire place have one for this? There should be a guide posted on this somewhere on the net.

‹noboost› Four gee's and 63 years ago, our forefathers brought forth on this continent, a new dsm, concieved in Normal Illiniois...

ModeratorxcasbonxMar-31-10 07:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#32797, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 4

I'm running 18x8.5's with a 225/40 lowered about the same as you with Tein S-tech's. The rims have a +42mm offset and just ever so lightly stick out from the fender. It's only noticeable if you look directly from the back of the car on either the left or right side.

I know you're looking more for a 235, but I thought I'd give you my input regarding the 8.5" width rim.

I contributed to the Wiki.

RoninEclipse2GMar-31-10 10:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32799, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 5

I've got stock sized EVO 8 wheels and tires and they're a 235 width. No rubbing at ~1.5" drop. I would need to roll the fenders to go too much lower, they sit nice and flush with the edges of the fenders.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

baconater3000Apr-01-10 02:32 AM
104 posts,
#32803, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
I've got stock sized EVO 8 wheels and tires and they're a 235 width. No rubbing at ~1.5" drop. I would need to roll the fenders to go too much lower, they sit nice and flush with the edges of the fenders.

Which evo 8 wheels do you have?

RoninEclipse2GApr-01-10 10:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32806, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by baconater3000
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G I've got stock sized EVO 8 wheels and tires and they're a 235 width. No rubbing at ~1.5" drop. I would need to roll the fenders to go too much lower, they sit nice and flush with the edges of the fenders.
Which evo 8 wheels do you have?

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=103000&mesg_id=103000&page=&topic_page=1

3rd post. Pic is on stock springs

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

ModeratorCorbinApr-01-10 07:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#32809, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 8

So far Cas is the only confirmed data point. In my digging around, I found this nice page:

http://www.martincheck.com/wheel_tire_fitment_FAQ.html

A formula always makes me feel better. I still want some more data points from members.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

electroheadApr-01-10 08:45 PM
Member since Dec 13th 2009
182 posts,
#32810, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 9

I'm running 17 x 7 Enkei or52 with 38 offset and I got 235 45's on it and they fit fine. I know I don't have the 8.5" or 9" width rim you're asking about, but I figured I'd give my two cents. I'm running stock height for now, but the tires don't sit flush or stick out past the fenders. I don't see any issues with rubbing when I do lower it, being that I have enough clearance and won't need to even roll my fenders. Hope this helps a little.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-06-10 09:27 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#32823, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 10
Apr-06-10 09:28 PM by Star Turbo Talon

Corbin, you can run a 245 and even a 255 on an 8" rim. I did with my z28 years ago. the 245 was factory setup, the 255 didnt look much different.

The superbee runs 295 on 9" rims on the rear

My niche rims were 8" and I used 235 tires. Unfortunately i have no idea what off set they were. I can get you the backspacing if you want.

ezApr-07-10 11:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#32824, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 0

Corbin, if traction is your main concern, have you considered going to a stickier compound and different tread on your existing wheels? I favor leaning towards the lightest wheel and tire combination possible, so wider wheels and tires works against that goal.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

ModeratorCorbinApr-15-10 06:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#32846, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 12

I know I could stuff a 245 or 255 tire on a 8" rim, but I am looking to support that tread as best as possible. I don't want it to rollunder side load. I am looking to keep the sidewalls as close to vertical as possible. I think a 245 (9.64") on a 9" rim will be as close as I can get.

I already use a ultra high performance summer tire. I could get a little more with a stickier compound. I am aiming to get a wider rim of the same or lower weight than I have now and get a stickier compound. The rotational moment of inertia will be a little higher, but I can live with it.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Warmage12Jun-12-10 11:46 AM
Member since May 24th 2008
168 posts,
#32889, "RE: Need people with 8.5"
In response to Reply # 13

Ive ran 235/45/17 on mine with no problems for the last 3 years. i have 17 by 9.5 driftZ gtr rims with a 2 inch drop on D2 springs with tokico blue struts. I clear every manhole cover in town. =)

Note to some who may remeber. i did say they were 10.5 and they do look that big but the company only makes them in 9.5 widest. so i retract that incorrect statement. but they are 9.5. i finally tracted down the paperwork for them from my old job. I'm upgrading to 18x9.5 xxr wheels very soon...gota clean up that last inch of gap. hehehe.

I loves negatives cambers...

ill try and get you a picture of my car.

95 RS sold...

ModeratorCorbinApr-02-13 07:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#33805, "RE: Need people with 8.5"
In response to Reply # 14

I'll answer my own question here:

I ended up buying Enkei PF01 17x8.5" wheels with 40mm offset. I put 245/40/17 Dunlop Direzza ZII tires on them:

Those tires run a little wide with an actual treadwidth of 249mm. The tightest clearance was between the corner of the tread and the rear spindle. It was about 0.131 inches. These are 1995 spindles and I hear that later ones give more clearance. The clearance at the front was slightly larger. The rear tire is flush with the body. The front tire sticks out about 0.25" from the body (widest portion of sidewall versus fender). I think it is livable. I put tape on the spindles and loaded up the tires to see if I could get contact. So far, no rubbing.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

SpeedmongerApr-03-13 07:47 PM
Member since May 02nd 2006
31 posts,
#33806, "RE: Need people with 8.5"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm running 18x8 Eagle Alloy 077's with 245/40/18 Tires on Tein S-tech Springs with no issues.
Just had to get the rear quarter panels rolled after I installed the springs.
Offset on the Rims is +38mm with a BSM of 5.95

TurbchargdSpydrAug-01-13 01:12 PM
Member since Jul 25th 2010
159 posts,
#33821, "RE: Need people with 8.5"
In response to Reply # 16

Why don't you contact the last person on this page:

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=103000&mesg_id=103000&page=&topic_page=1

He has 275 width tires on his car, and it looks dropped...

Last of a dying breed...

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32791 Previous topic | Next topic