Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #22461
View in linear mode

Subject: "NEWBIE ?'s on lowering" Previous topic | Next topic
orzechFeb-14-04 05:49 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2003
597 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22461, "NEWBIE ?'s on lowering"

I did a searcha nd still wasnt sure what i should do about lowering. This psring i am getting my stock complete 97-99 kit. I am looking to lower my car 1.5 inces. I herd this is a good amount and i plan on gettings some 18's.

My questions are how much is an average price for some lowering springs?
I have herd of a bunch of brands but dont know which ones?
Should i buy struts too?
Is it an easy task to change your springs?
I will be driving i the winter too so i will prolly change the springs every summer and winter so should i go with an adjustable strut?

I want the cheapest, versitile, smoothest ride. How much will this set me back?

11.34 at 123 fp3065 28 psi straight pump 93 octane

95 tsi awd 5 speed-2gb 6 bolt dsmlink
95tsi fwd- parts
95 tsi fwd- beater
91 galant vr4- new build

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering, injendsm, Feb-14-04 05:51 AM, #1
RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering, orzech, Feb-14-04 05:55 AM, #2
RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering, TeamXtremeRS, Feb-14-04 10:22 AM, #3
RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering, orzech, Feb-14-04 01:19 PM, #4
      RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering, ModeratoreclipzGST, Feb-14-04 08:11 PM, #5
           RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering, orzech, Feb-15-04 12:32 PM, #6
                RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering, 96Eclipsed, Feb-16-04 09:55 PM, #7
                     RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering, scdsmracr, Feb-16-04 11:09 PM, #8
                          RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering, DSM_John, Feb-17-04 05:36 AM, #9

injendsmFeb-14-04 05:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6844 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22462, "RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by orzech
I did a searcha nd still wasnt sure what i should do about lowering. This psring i am getting my stock complete 97-99 kit. I am looking to lower my car 1.5 inces. I herd this is a good amount and i plan on gettings some 18's. My questions are how much is an average price for some lowering springs? I have herd of a bunch of brands but dont know which ones? Should i buy struts too? Is it an easy task to change your springs? I will be driving i the winter too so i will prolly change the springs every summer and winter so should i go with an adjustable strut? I want the cheapest, versitile, smoothest ride. How much will this set me back?

if you want a 1.5" drop for fairly cheap while still having a great product, look into tein s tech springs and eibach pro kits. as far as struts are concerned, look into koni yellows and tokico illuminas. those are both adjustable and are pretty good shocks from what ive heard. this setup should set you back four or five hundred.

www.gregsorrells.com

http://ubanimator.com>

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

orzechFeb-14-04 05:55 AM
597 posts,
#22463, "RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering"
In response to Reply # 1

yeah, tahts what i herd,

if i get the adjustable struts, does that mean i can adjust back to stock height or lower 1.5 inches if i want? How mcuh will the struts be? b/c i am possible going to trade/sell some blitz skirts for some springs.

95tsi fwd- parts
95 tsi fwd- beater
91 galant vr4- new build

TeamXtremeRSFeb-14-04 10:22 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#22467, "RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering"
In response to Reply # 0

I did a searcha nd still wasnt sure what i should do about lowering. This psring i am getting my stock complete 97-99 kit. I am looking to lower my car 1.5 inces. I herd this is a good amount and i plan on gettings some 18's. My questions are how much is an average price for some lowering springs? I have herd of a bunch of brands but dont know which ones? Should i buy struts too? Is it an easy task to change your springs? I will be driving i the winter too so i will prolly change the springs every summer and winter so should i go with an adjustable strut? I want the cheapest, versitile, smoothest ride. How much will this set me back?

I run the H&R Sport springs. Around 200 for all 4. Expect to pay around there for quality springs. Don't go cheap! These springs are excellent, and ride is pretty good using the stock struts(for now). It lowered my front just about 2", and the rear at 1.75". Looks and handles great for stock struts still on there. If you want ride quality adjustabilty, then get some adjustable shocks. They are more expensive than most other non adjustables, but you can tailor your ride quality with just the turn of a screw. Tokiko and KYB AGX are prob the cheapest ones out there, yet still good quality. YOu normally can't adjust the ride height with adjustable shocks, if you really want height adjustablity, get coilover springs. But be forwarned, cheap coilovers really do suck, and are usually noisy. Good quality coilovers are usally in the 800+ dollar range..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

orzechFeb-14-04 01:19 PM
597 posts,
#22469, "RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering"
In response to Reply # 3

on average, how long does it take to change all your springs? B/c i will be doing this 2 times a year. but ill prolly be changing rims too, so it wont be that hard.

95tsi fwd- parts
95 tsi fwd- beater
91 galant vr4- new build

ModeratoreclipzGSTFeb-14-04 08:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#22473, "RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering"
In response to Reply # 4
Feb-14-04 08:14 PM by eclipzGST

on average, how long does it take to change all your springs? B/c i will be doing this 2 times a year. but ill prolly be changing rims too, so it wont be that hard.

the more times you do it, the faster you get.
edit: another option would be a coil over setup. To change the height would consist of turning some rings. I think you can get the low end Tein coil overs for like $700 or something...

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

orzechFeb-15-04 12:32 PM
597 posts,
#22482, "RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering"
In response to Reply # 5

dont have that kind of money, i am 17 and only work in the summer due to sports.

95tsi fwd- parts
95 tsi fwd- beater
91 galant vr4- new build

96EclipsedFeb-16-04 09:55 PM
Member since Jun 17th 2002
1923 posts,
#22504, "RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering"
In response to Reply # 6

In answer to your earlier question, the adjustable struts/shocks are for ride stiffness/softness not height.

If you want to adjust the ride height, you'll either want Coil overs (cheapest however you still have to replace the shocks/struts with probably illuminas or konis) or a true coilover like Tien Basic Dampers which replace the normal springs and shocks/struts completely.

weather turning towards a storm broken down road continue on coexistance imitating paradise
unlike any seen moist has been dancing crazy overcast ash grey wording constantly pushing pulling pushes away

sacred? you really are?
m'not scared
then what are you?

drew back a rusty knife guilt ladle pour it on understand i burn inside how to get out of here how do you get out of this natures revenge nature
cage craving wonder the worth of it scream at the top of your lungs so many times tried not to wonder

scdsmracrFeb-16-04 11:09 PM
Member since Jun 30th 2003
144 posts,
#22505, "RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering"
In response to Reply # 7

i just replaced my shocks and springs with coilovers and tokico illuminas. only took me 2 hours to do everything. i could have done it in a hour and a half but i painted my clipers too. i also have the conveince of a lift so that helped out alot too.

http://publish.hometown.aol.com/southerncomphort/myhomepage/avatar2.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US

DSM_JohnFeb-17-04 05:36 AM
Member since Jan 08th 2004
58 posts,
#22507, "RE: NEWBIE ?'s on lowering"
In response to Reply # 8

my question is whether you have access to a spring compressor. you can rent a crappy one or take your stock shocks/springs to a dealership. luckily my dad is a head service manager so i could do it for free. you're going to need your bump stops out of the original setup. as far as height adjustability, it will be a pain to keep changing springs all the time if you don't want to pay for a true coilover setup. any other type of coilover sucks. i had first hand experience putting arospeed's on my buddy's '03 civic si. needless to say, he ended up buying new h&r springs.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #22461 Previous topic | Next topic