Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #71234
View in linear mode

Subject: "'95 RS eating magically eating oil!" Previous topic | Next topic
SonicTronMar-22-04 06:36 PM
Member since Mar 22nd 2004
7 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#71234, "'95 RS eating magically eating oil!"

Topic seems to say it pretty well..

My sister's non-boosted, stock 95 RS seems to be eating oil pretty bad. Like a quart every 800 miles. We can't figure it out!

-head doesn't appear to be leaking under high pressure
-exhaust is fairly clean
-no visible leaking under the car or on the driveway

its just sorta, disappearing?

any ideas?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!, Blizare, Mar-22-04 07:54 PM, #1
RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!, SonicTron, Mar-22-04 08:57 PM, #2
      RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!, The1Bill, Mar-23-04 06:01 AM, #3
RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!, hunntyr, Mar-23-04 06:19 AM, #4
RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!, SonicTron, Mar-23-04 10:46 AM, #5
      RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!, hunntyr, Mar-23-04 11:33 AM, #6
           RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!, eclipse_99rs, Mar-23-04 04:53 PM, #7
                RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!, .bs0d, Mar-23-04 07:01 PM, #8
                     RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!, SilverRS, Mar-24-04 03:00 AM, #9
                          RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!, hunntyr, Mar-24-04 04:21 AM, #10
                               RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!, lickscissors, Mar-24-04 06:31 AM, #11
                                    RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!, Eagle 5, Mar-24-04 06:54 AM, #12

BlizareMar-22-04 07:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#71238, "RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-22-04 07:54 PM by Blizare

It's obviously being burnt then. Worn rings probobly. How many miles?

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

SonicTronMar-22-04 08:57 PM
7 posts,
#71244, "RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!"
In response to Reply # 1

I would assume it was burning too. Its got 140k on it now, new timing belt and water pump, but I don't think any real engine work has ever been done to it as far as seals and such. We've had it to a couple of mechanics and they never mentioned any problems with the seals or rings =/

The1BillMar-23-04 06:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#71257, "RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!"
In response to Reply # 2

Time for a compression test, and maybe a leakdown test. Compression test'll show you if the rings are weak.

Best of luck,

-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

hunntyrMar-23-04 06:19 AM
Member since Dec 27th 2003
911 posts,
#71258, "RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah...she sounds like sh is definately burning up oil. Like ^^^ said, Do a compression test and see if it is the rings and good luck from there.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/hunntyr

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

SonicTronMar-23-04 10:46 AM
7 posts,
#71271, "RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!"
In response to Reply # 4

ugh compression test + finding problem + repairing problem will be worth nearly as much as the car I guess she'll just have to keep feeding it oil!

...though I don't trust her on that, last time I checked she let it run down 2 full quarts low so the check engine light came on =/

hunntyrMar-23-04 11:33 AM
911 posts,
#71276, "RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by SonicTron
ugh compression test + finding problem + repairing problem will be worth nearly as much as the car I guess she'll just have to keep feeding it oil! ...though I don't trust her on that, last time I checked she let it run down 2 full quarts low so the check engine light came on =/

Well thats not good. All you would do is just drown the problem (no punt intended). I agree with the cost situation because I am having a complete rebuild done due to the same problem that your sister is having. Not burning it up that bad but I know if I let it go that much it would have gotten there. Good Luck with the motor.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

eclipse_99rsMar-23-04 04:53 PM
Member since Apr 11th 2002
2659 posts,
#71309, "RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!"
In response to Reply # 6

Most stock 2gnt's burn about 1/2 to 1 quart every 3k. Mine always has its no big deal. And my compression numbers are 210-210-220-210 @ 60k mi.

myspace.com/coastiecobb

.bs0dMar-23-04 07:01 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2004
597 posts,
#71322, "RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!"
In response to Reply # 7

well, is the car smoking!? if so, is it blue smoke? -go to autozone and buy some Lucas Oil Stabilizer. See if that does any good

SilverRSMar-24-04 03:00 AM
Member since Aug 03rd 2003
274 posts,
#71332, "RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!"
In response to Reply # 8

How would oil stabalizer help oil burning? Mine seems to burn a little more than 1 quart every 3K miles. I need to do a comp. test I forgot where was the write up on how to do it. Can anybody give me a hand and give me the webpage. Also if it is a seal or ring do you need to change everything or is that just optional?

Thanks

hunntyrMar-24-04 04:21 AM
911 posts,
#71339, "RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by SilverRS
How would oil stabalizer help oil burning? Mine seems to burn a little more than 1 quart every 3K miles. I need to do a comp. test I forgot where was the write up on how to do it. Can anybody give me a hand and give me the webpage. Also if it is a seal or ring do you need to change everything or is that just optional? Thanks

Oil stabilizer is only a temporary fix for the problem. It wont stop the oil from burning, just makes the smoke disappear for a little while. Our cars are known to burn about 1 quart of oil frequently and as long as you keep an eye on it and not wait for the dummy light to come on, you should be ok. Now if you start going through more than a quart every 3k, Changing everything is the way to go cause then there should not be any problems, change your HG, Valve cover gasket, sparkplug seals and piston rings. Good luck

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

lickscissorsMar-24-04 06:31 AM
Member since May 07th 2003
1206 posts,
#71346, "RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!"
In response to Reply # 10

its probably just cheaper and easier to change the engine and sell yours for parts...get a low mileage engine for about 400-500 and either sell yours complete, or part it out
doug

14b custom turbo kit, modified starion front mount, 9.6:1 JE pistons/Eagle rods....running 12psi
screw flanders

Eagle 5Mar-24-04 06:54 AM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
479 posts,
#71348, "RE: '95 RS eating magically eating oil!"
In response to Reply # 11

Dont worry about it. When i first had my car it maybe went thorugh a quart, quar and a half every 3000 miles. Its down now to about 1 quart evry 700 miles roughly. No visible leaks, no smoking or anything. las time a compression test was done I had 210-180-210-210. Which the 210's are great and teh 180 is still within factory specs (like 165-220ish) I assume the rings in that cylinder are more worn than the others so its probably burning some oil jsut not enough to notice or any of it is being caught by the cat converter. I also know people who go through a quart of oil every 700-900 miles normally and never have problems. No leaks, comrpession is fine. No smoking. oil jsut gets used, sometimes in small portions others in more. oil breaks down, jsut how it happens (not very technical)

either way. dont worry about the oil problem. do a compression check and if your numbers are ebtween 170-210ish your fine, nothing wrong. just keep oil in it.

my car has 130,000 miles now, had around 110,000 when i did the comp check

"Shop smart, shop S-Mart!" ~ Ash
Member # 1523

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #71234 Previous topic | Next topic