Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #75860
View in linear mode

Subject: "smoking, missing, and back firing" Previous topic | Next topic
NicksDSMJun-09-04 01:18 PM
Member since Aug 05th 2002
88 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#75860, "smoking, missing, and back firing"

Ok, about 2 weeks ago my car started smoking pretty bad. Last week it started missing in low (1500-3000) rpms, and now I cant put my foot on the gas with out it missing and backfiring . I know that i'm back firing because of the missing. I took it to my dads work but they only fix fords. They checked my spark plugs to see if they were soaked in oil but they where not and they did not look like they were burning oil. They said it's a secondary miss fire and it could be the coil pack and plug wires. But they said, it was just a guess. what do you think???

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, E Z Daring, Jun-09-04 01:24 PM, #1
RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, NicksDSM, Jun-10-04 03:28 AM, #2
      RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, TeamDR1665, Jun-10-04 05:23 AM, #3
           RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, ModeratorCorbin, Jun-10-04 06:22 AM, #4
                RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, Initial DSM, Jun-10-04 11:33 AM, #5
                     RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, grain, Jun-10-04 01:57 PM, #6
                          RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, talonguy2005, Jul-23-04 11:08 AM, #7
                               RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, JWoodley, Jul-23-04 02:07 PM, #8
                                    RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, talonguy2005, Jul-23-04 03:49 PM, #9
                                         RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, GSGoinFast, Jul-25-04 08:44 AM, #10
                                              RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, Eclipse2NR, Jul-25-04 09:06 AM, #11
                                              RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, talonguy2005, Jul-25-04 09:10 AM, #12
                                                   RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, Eclipse2NR, Jul-25-04 09:16 AM, #13
                                                        RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, talonguy2005, Jul-25-04 09:17 AM, #14
                                                             RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, NicksDSM, Jul-25-04 11:07 AM, #15
                                                                  RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, talonguy2005, Jul-25-04 04:29 PM, #16
                                                                       RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, EclipsedChef, Jul-25-04 06:46 PM, #17
                                                                            RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, talonguy2005, Jul-26-04 07:11 AM, #18
                                              RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, snufalufagus040, Oct-15-04 11:57 AM, #19
                                                   RE: smoking, missing, and back firing, snufalufagus040, Oct-21-04 02:59 PM, #20

E Z DaringJun-09-04 01:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
44 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#75861, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 0

First, change your plugs.

If problem is not solved, change your wires.

If still doesn't work, we can go from there. What color is the smoke?

DarkOne> Well if it's isn't EZ_Daring, the oldest newbie ever!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

NicksDSMJun-10-04 03:28 AM
88 posts,
#75886, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 1

my smoke is dark. oh yea i forgot one thing about 3 weeks ago i changed my o2 senser because i was burning really rich.

TeamDR1665Jun-10-04 05:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#75889, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 2

The majority of these stuttering/misfire problems come from wires or plugs. Make sure you get the right plugs, gapped properly (check the search NGKs) and unless you're highly modified, you can make do with a $30 set of BOSCH plug wires from Autozone, but be sure to do both at the same time. That will make me happy.

ModeratorCorbinJun-10-04 06:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#75891, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 3

I'd definitely replace the plugs, first thing. Even if they look ok, replace them. Once a plug fouls, it should go in the trash. I fouled two plugs and hence the engine was running on 2 cylinders. I was barfing grey smoke out the exhaust and "idling" at 400 RPM. Just replacing the plugs fixed 90% of the problem.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

Initial DSMJun-10-04 11:33 AM
Member since Sep 23rd 2003
2833 posts,
#75905, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Corbin
I'd definitely replace the plugs, first thing. Even if they look ok, replace them. Once a plug fouls, it should go in the trash. I fouled two plugs and hence the engine was running on 2 cylinders. I was barfing grey smoke out the exhaust and "idling" at 400 RPM. Just replacing the plugs fixed 90% of the problem. Corbin '95 ESI-T HRC+FMIC+ETC... Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

I'm having similiar problems; but still at NA, what should I gap them to?

grainJun-10-04 01:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#75911, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 5

na, i think its around .050

talonguy2005Jul-23-04 11:08 AM
Member since May 16th 2004
1473 posts,
#78002, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 6

i dunno if i should replace my O2 sensor, but i am having the SAME exact probelm as him, someone help me, im gonna go buy some NGK plugs, and a new ECT sensor, wish me luck.

1992 Plymouth Laser
-Bone stock for now.

JWoodleyJul-23-04 02:07 PM
Member since Mar 27th 2003
2335 posts,
#78013, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 7

plugs, wires, and it not those try the coil. i wouldnt buy a new sensor unless i'd tried everything else.

talonguy2005Jul-23-04 03:49 PM
1473 posts,
#78016, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 8

but i have already replaced, plugs, wires, coil, fuel filter, catalytic converter. whats left???

1992 Plymouth Laser
-Bone stock for now.

GSGoinFastJul-25-04 08:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#78050, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 9

for the origianl starter of the post, i had the exact same problem. it would misfire 3-4 times in every gear from idle to 3k rpms. then after 3k rpms or so it would smooth out and run a lot better. also the idle was rough, and it smelled nasty. it ended up being a shorted out wire. changed the plugs and wires and all was good as new.

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

2.4 Project is Officially underway

Eclipse2NRJul-25-04 09:06 AM
Member since Nov 25th 2002
581 posts,
#78053, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 10
Jul-25-04 09:07 AM by Eclipse2NR

Yeah I am still having this problem myself. Except at any higher rpm at full throttle, its just a constant sputter. No acceleration at all when that happens. It does misfire in the lower rpms too, but at least it still accelerates. Its really making my car run like crap, and it keeps getting worse. Already changed the plugs, wires, and coil. I have a thread about this in the Turbo forum, but no one is responding to it anymore. I have two CELS: Ignition coil B Primary/Secondary Circuit and Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected. Sounds a lot like your problem.

1996 Eclipse RS / 5-Speed / Aerogear Body / Coated in Magnetic Red Metallic rev.2 / T3 Turbo Intercooled @ 8 psi / More at http://home.insightbb.com/~eclipse2nr/
Mark Galyan - Indianapolis, Indiana

talonguy2005Jul-25-04 09:10 AM
1473 posts,
#78054, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 11

grrr, i just bought a O2 sensor, and i went for a drive it was all running good, so i took it for a trip on the freeway, and ran it kinda of hard to test it. ran fine for the whole freeway, but after i got off, and started to drive normal it came back!!!! what else is there???

list of crap i've replaced:

plugs
wires
ignition coil
fuel filter
O2 sensor
Cat to test pipe
valve cover gaskets

someone help!

1992 Plymouth Laser
-Bone stock for now.

Eclipse2NRJul-25-04 09:16 AM
Member since Nov 25th 2002
581 posts,
#78055, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 12

Clogged or stuck fuel injector/s is a possibility. I'm gonna check that here in a bit on my car. Need a mechanics stethoscope.

1996 Eclipse RS / 5-Speed / Aerogear Body / Coated in Magnetic Red Metallic rev.2 / T3 Turbo Intercooled @ 8 psi / More at http://home.insightbb.com/~eclipse2nr/
Mark Galyan - Indianapolis, Indiana

talonguy2005Jul-25-04 09:17 AM
1473 posts,
#78056, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 13
Jul-25-04 09:17 AM by talonguy2005

but wouldn't that mean i would be running lean? cuz doesn't black smoke out of the exhaust mean your burning rich?

edit: also mine only will do it after its good and warmed up. im confused.

1992 Plymouth Laser
-Bone stock for now.

NicksDSMJul-25-04 11:07 AM
88 posts,
#78060, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 14

plug wires fixed the problem.

talonguy2005Jul-25-04 04:29 PM
1473 posts,
#78068, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 15

but i just bought new plug wires, ummm i think about 2 days ago... i was thinking about getting one heat range colder plugs.

1992 Plymouth Laser
-Bone stock for now.

EclipsedChefJul-25-04 06:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
987 posts,
#78071, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 16

for all you guys that still have the hesitation, im serious when i say check your clutch out. Just today my clutch started to noticably slip and ive had the EXACT same problems as you guys for two years. The clutch is to blame on my end, something to think about on your end.

Aem Cold Air AFX 55mm TB
Fidanza Cam Gears NGK Wires
AFX UDP Greddy Header
Gutted Cat Greddy Evo Catback
Energy Suspension MMI Eibach Sportlines
Tokico Blues...always more to come

talonguy2005Jul-26-04 07:11 AM
1473 posts,
#78082, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 17

mine only does it after the car has been well up to temp for a while, like 5 - 10 minutes.

1992 Plymouth Laser
-Bone stock for now.

snufalufagus040Oct-15-04 11:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
332 posts,
#81780, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 10
Oct-15-04 12:03 PM by snufalufagus040

Same exact thing here. I just ordered the MSD coil pack and billy badass 8.5mm wires... I hope this works. Next, I'll have to check compression, ECU, maybe fuel pump...

EDIT: I'm not smoking much, but other than that my prob is very similar. So far, I've done plugs, valve cover gaskett, fuel filter, upstream O2 sensor, ran injector cleaner... nothing. I hope my wires are to blame, but I got the coil pack just for fun...

Custom CAI w/ extra large filter, Front strut tower brace, Rear sway bar, Brembo xDrilled & slotted rotors, Performance Friction pads, Greddy 4:1 header, Greddy SP cat back exhaust, Bridgestone Potenza RE950’s, VIS carbon fiber Hood & pins, Optima Red Top battery, Custom taillights and rear end mod

snufalufagus040Oct-21-04 02:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
332 posts,
#82066, "RE: smoking, missing, and back firing"
In response to Reply # 19

K, changed my plugs, got 8.5mm wires, and new MSD coil pack. Car runs better than it ever had. Think I had a bad plug wire. I'm so glad I finally fixed this crap!

1999 GS OZ Edition (her name's Janet)

~~Custom CAI w/ extra large filter, Front strut tower brace, Rear sway bar, Brembo xDrilled & slotted rotors, Performance Friction pads, Greddy 4:1 header, Greddy SP cat back exhaust, Bridgestone Potenza RE950’s, VIS carbon fiber Hood & pins, Optima Red Top battery, MSD Blaster Coil and 8.5mm wires, Custom taillights and rear end mod~~

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #75860 Previous topic | Next topic