Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1347
View in linear mode

Subject: "Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?" Previous topic | Next topic
EclipseRSTSep-05-03 07:08 AM
Member since Apr 17th 2002
5394 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1347, "Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"

Motofool got me one of these clutches for my car. It's the modular stage 3 and I was just wondering if anybody knew anything about them of if they use them. I was just wondering what kind of power they held and if they gripped well. Also do they have a website? I looked around online and came up with nothing.

HAVE: '04 Grand Prix GTP Comp G

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, Teamner947, Sep-05-03 10:48 AM, #1
RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, EclipseRST, Sep-05-03 11:02 AM, #2
      RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, Jasvb TS2K2, Sep-07-03 07:48 PM, #3
           RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, 420aturbo, Sep-08-03 05:57 AM, #4
                RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, EclipseRST, Sep-08-03 07:18 AM, #5
                     RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, Teamner947, Sep-08-03 07:45 AM, #6
                          RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, Teametx, Sep-08-03 08:01 AM, #7
                               RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, EclipseRST, Sep-08-03 10:01 AM, #8
                                    RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, Jasvb TS2K2, Sep-08-03 04:38 PM, #9
                                         RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, EclipseRST, Sep-08-03 05:36 PM, #10
                                              RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, Jasvb TS2K2, Sep-08-03 09:04 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, EclipseRST, Sep-09-03 02:41 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, TeamXtremeRS, Sep-10-03 05:05 PM, #13
                                                             RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, EclipseRST, Sep-10-03 05:44 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, eclipticrider, Sep-13-03 05:29 AM, #15
                                                                       RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, Teamner947, Sep-15-03 03:55 AM, #16
                                                                            RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, EclipseRST, Sep-15-03 05:57 AM, #17
                                                                            RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, davo345, Sep-30-03 08:14 AM, #21
                                                                            RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, Jasvb TS2K2, Sep-15-03 06:16 PM, #18
                                                                                 RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, Matt_95tgs, Sep-16-03 05:59 PM, #19
                                                                                      RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?, JWoodley, Sep-24-03 04:17 PM, #20

Teamner947Sep-05-03 10:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1349, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 0

i just mine (non-modular, 6 puck ceramic) in the mail today. it's a BEAUTIFUL clutch. spring dampened hub, blue powder coated pressure plate (not like it matters, i'll never see it, but it does look pretty) it appears to be very well made.

above all, it fits properly. the custom made one that i got a few months back from motofool was for the 4G63, but the one that i have in my basement right now definately looks like it's for a Neon/2GNT. a BIG thanks to bill for sending me such a nice replacement clutch.

lastly, isn't SPEC the clutch that HRC sells to it's customers?

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EclipseRSTSep-05-03 11:02 AM
5394 posts,
#1350, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 1

>i just mine (non-modular, 6 puck ceramic) in the mail today.
>it's a BEAUTIFUL clutch. spring dampened hub, blue powder
>coated pressure plate (not like it matters, i'll never see it,
>but it does look pretty) it appears to be very well made.
>
>above all, it fits properly. the custom made one that i got a
>few months back from motofool was for the 4G63, but the one
>that i have in my basement right now definately looks like
>it's for a Neon/2GNT. a BIG thanks to bill for sending me such
>a nice replacement clutch.
>
>lastly, isn't SPEC the clutch that HRC sells to it's
>customers?

Well I just got home and there was a package for me. I opened it up and I couldn't agree with you more. It's a great looking clutch. The blue powder coating was a nice touch and the craftsmanship is really nice. I'm glad it's going in my car.

Oh and it also came with a couple stickers. Those ought to be good for about 10 horses.

Jasvb TS2K2Sep-07-03 07:48 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2002
1419 posts,
#1365, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 2

Hey, I run the SPEC stage 3. Have from day one. I love it. Never had any issue with it....besides the chatter. That killed me forever. But after the Fidanza and PG LSD went in, that has greatly been reduced. I have done many hard launched and thrown it around alot and it grips, always! I don't know why they don't have a website or there isn't much info on it or why it's not heavily marketed. But I'd recommend it to anyone that needs a good clutch. And I too run the stickers. 15whp!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/jasvbts2k2
"The ONLY Honda I'd mod would be ASIMO"

420aturboSep-08-03 05:57 AM
Member since Apr 08th 2002
964 posts,
#1366, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 3

A friend of mine just put a SPEC stg 3 in a 98 SOHC Neon. It grips hard enough to chirp the tires in 2nd and 3rd gear with a 50 shot on Nitto Drags

I have heard the stickers do add about 10-12 whp

Built 420a
NER turbo kit T3/T04s ball bearing
AFX UDP
Crane 0014 cams

EclipseRSTSep-08-03 07:18 AM
5394 posts,
#1368, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 4

So what exactly is clutch chatter and is there a way to prevent? Maybe break it in longer?

Teamner947Sep-08-03 07:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1369, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 5

i heard somewhere that you only need to break in organic and fibertuff clutches. ceramic clutches like the SPEC stage 3 supposely don't really need to be broken in.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

TeametxSep-08-03 08:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#1370, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 6

yeah whats chatter? Is it when your in neutral with the clutch pedal out and you can hear something vibrate in there? sounds like the throw out berring moving or something. My Z does that and its brand new. the clutch in that thing grabs like crazy!

EclipseRSTSep-08-03 10:01 AM
5394 posts,
#1371, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 7

Well I just got my car back and the results are pretty interesting...

When I first started the car I pushed in the clutch and it was VERY loose feeling and soft compared to my stock one. It feels a ton lighter to push. But when I actually started giving it gas, the fucker grabbed almost instantly. I always thought a high performance clutch like this would make the pedal feel stiffer. And when I drive it, it feels like it's sort of hopping a little bit in there. Hard to explain.

Jasvb TS2K2Sep-08-03 04:38 PM
1419 posts,
#1372, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 8

>Well I just got my car back and the results are pretty
>interesting...
>
>When I first started the car I pushed in the clutch and it was
>VERY loose feeling and soft compared to my stock one. It
>feels a ton lighter to push. But when I actually started
>giving it gas, the fucker grabbed almost instantly. I always
>thought a high performance clutch like this would make the
>pedal feel stiffer. And when I drive it, it feels like it's
>sort of hopping a little bit in there. Hard to explain.

I always forget to warn people about that. Yes the SPEC is a very soft clutch. I too had the idea, from DSM guys and thier ACT 2600 clutches, that it would be hard on the calf, but it's almost as if it has no pedal pressure. It takes time to adjust to it but then it works great. And yes the chatter is like a sqeeke, a bounce, or something going on that sounds out of place. Maybe a marbels jumping around sound. Possibly followed by a slight hop. Hard to decribe. I don't know how to prevent or if it's just related more to certain types of clutches. And I too heard no break-in was needed but I did for 500 miles, which was in the supplied attention slip in the SPEC packaging. I guess it's up to you but I would think, you do less harm getting on it right away.

EclipseRSTSep-08-03 05:36 PM
5394 posts,
#1374, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 9

Did yours slip at all when you first got it? Mine has been slipping midway through the gear as I'm letting out the clutch. Bill said I might just need to break it in and wear off the coating or something. I hope it goes away because it's very annoying. It doesn't slip so much when I launch a bit quicker but under normal driving conditions it slips and feels like a huge stutter.

Jasvb TS2K2Sep-08-03 09:04 PM
1419 posts,
#1375, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 10

Yeah it had a tendancy to do that at first. I don't know if that's the clutch or actual driving getting used to it. I know after awhile that wasn't an issue. It really all comes down to perfecting the technique and understanding the clutches properties. I was always too cautious to let out quick for fear of a one leg peg. That I think I caused me to be nervous and then it would be worst. Keep practicing, more stop and go, uphills and city driving and you should be fine in no time.

EclipseRSTSep-09-03 02:41 AM
5394 posts,
#1376, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 11

>Yeah it had a tendancy to do that at first. I don't know if
>that's the clutch or actual driving getting used to it. I know
>after awhile that wasn't an issue. It really all comes down to
>perfecting the technique and understanding the clutches
>properties. I was always too cautious to let out quick for
>fear of a one leg peg. That I think I caused me to be nervous
>and then it would be worst. Keep practicing, more stop and go,
>uphills and city driving and you should be fine in no time.
>
>

Dude, you've been a huge help. Thanks .

TeamXtremeRSSep-10-03 05:05 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1385, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 12

Clutch chatter will most likely be present for a good while(around 200-700 miles) as it wears in. Clutch chatter is when you are starting off in gear from a stop, and the clutch will jerk the car sort of, and is very hard to slip smoothly. My ceramic clutch disk was like this at first, but got much better over several hundred miles. It would be hard to start moving in reverse or first without the clutch just grabbing like all hell..was very hard to slip.. Also, a new clutch will always be a bit soft at first, and the pedal pressure should stiffen up over the break in time. Ceramic clutches *should* be broken in, just by not over slipping it too much. Go easy on it for a hundred miles or so at least. Its always a good idea too to bleed your clutch lines after a clutch install too.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

EclipseRSTSep-10-03 05:44 PM
5394 posts,
#1386, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 13

Yes! You just described my problem. In first gear about midway through releasing the clutch it sort of slips and stutters and makes the car look like I almost killed it even though my rpms are around 1.5k - 2k. I hope that does go away soon because it's getting on my nerves. The only time it doesn't occur is when I launch a little harder than normal.

eclipticriderSep-13-03 05:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1061 posts,
#1408, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 14

yea, i've had my cluch for over a year now... and it still chatters when starting off, it scares me sometimes cuz it almsot sounds like its something wrong! but it's all good, btw my clutch is still soft not hard at all!!!

spec does have a website, i don't remember the address but they do have a site... hope u enjoy your new clutch! later

WTB: Dodge Omni

http://www.geocities.com/shadyporshe851proof/frame_content/indexframe.html

mods: star stage III clutch + 60mm tb + the normal mods, bass, lights well u get the picture

Teamner947Sep-15-03 03:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1419, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 15

hey, you guys running the SPEC clutch... any of you have a fidanza non-modular flywheel setup? i'm going to be doing this...

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

EclipseRSTSep-15-03 05:57 AM
5394 posts,
#1420, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 16

Not me, just modular. I've already blown about a grand on the actual part and install so I'm pretty much sick of spending money on it.

davo345Sep-30-03 08:14 AM
Member since Jul 15th 2003
510 posts,
#1477, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 17

>Not me, just modular. I've already blown about a grand on
>the actual part and install so I'm pretty much sick of
>spending money on it.

my god...that brings your labor total to about 600? wtf...is there a way to do this procedure out of a garage to ward off those evil labor fees

bobin' and weavin' in traffic. No other place i'd rather be .

^^^^^EVERYTHING HAS TO GO.

Jasvb TS2K2Sep-15-03 06:16 PM
1419 posts,
#1426, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 16

>hey, you guys running the SPEC clutch... any of you have a
>fidanza non-modular flywheel setup? i'm going to be doing
>this...

Not really sure...what is the diff between non and modular. Are both designs available for us? I know because of the SPEC the Fidanza on mine was not just a simple replacement. I had to get longer MOPAR bolts. The stock bolts were too short. Anyone know the technical here?

I know what you mean about depleted funds. I had nothing left when I did the clutch or else I would have gotten all the recent work done and saved some cash on labor. But beleive nothing is like a lightend flywheel and an LSD. When I got it, I had not been that thrilled since I got the actual turbo kit. Maybe even more. A mod worth saving for.

Matt_95tgsSep-16-03 05:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#1430, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 18

I have the non modular spec clutch with a fidanza flywheel. I actually had problems with my tranny leaking fluid and it toasted the disk in under 4k miles. I recently had new facings put on the same disk, fixed the tranny and got it all back together. It grips like never before (I have a 4 puck ceramic). I can barely get the car rolling before it grips... its almost an on/off switch, but I like it that way .

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS
2.0L, S16g Turbo, 8 Injectors, 26psi

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

JWoodleySep-24-03 04:17 PM
Member since Mar 27th 2003
2335 posts,
#1459, "RE: Spec clutches? Anybody know anything about them?"
In response to Reply # 19

www.speclutches.com

spec out ur car. =) these guys are about 45 minutes from me. im begging for sponsorship...lol i'll be visiting them on christmas break.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1347 Previous topic | Next topic