Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 5 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #3143
View in linear mode

Subject: "auto to manual swap questions" Previous topic | Next topic
byakko125Jul-09-04 07:18 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2003
36 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3143, "auto to manual swap questions"

1996 gs
i'm sure this has probably been covered before, but my search of the threads came up dry...
basically my tranny is toast and the consensus of people i've spoken to seems to be that rebuilt auto trannys are very prone to failure. my tranny has already been rebuilt and so i'm going to swap to manual. i'm looking especially for people that have done this, or have an intimate enough knowledge of both auto and manual to detail this for me. thanks

basically this is the list of things i think i need (please reply with additions):
manual tranny w/ clutch and pressure plate
shifter assy with shift cables
clutch/brake pedals
clutch master cylinder
(and obvious hosing)
and is there a different transmission support beam for manual trannys?
are speed sensors from the auto reusable for the manual or will they need to be switched out?

one thing i have a question on is, whether or not the module under the hood right in front of the driver side shock tower is ecu/pcm/tcm.. manuals say it is the pcm, but junkyards all label that as ecu. my ecu was fried and i swapped it with a manual one and it still worked, which makes me assume it is the ecu. so if i swap to a manual tranny, is there a transmission control or powertrain control module that i need to switch as well? and if so where is it? thanks in advance!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: auto to manual swap questions, thedawg, Jul-09-04 07:55 PM, #1
RE: auto to manual swap questions, scdsmracr, Jul-09-04 08:12 PM, #2
      RE: auto to manual swap questions, Chamuko, Jul-09-04 08:45 PM, #3
           RE: auto to manual swap questions, byakko125, Jul-09-04 08:53 PM, #4
                RE: auto to manual swap questions, soulcontroller, Jul-10-04 04:49 AM, #5
RE: auto to manual swap questions, DSMeclipseGS, Jul-10-04 07:27 AM, #6
RE: auto to manual swap questions, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jul-10-04 07:33 AM, #7
      RE: auto to manual swap questions, BlueMoonEclipse, Jul-10-04 10:53 AM, #8
           RE: auto to manual swap questions, byakko125, Jul-10-04 11:48 AM, #9
                RE: auto to manual swap questions, thedawg, Jul-10-04 10:37 PM, #10
                     RE: auto to manual swap questions, byakko125, Jul-11-04 10:37 PM, #11
                          RE: auto to manual swap questions, Chamuko, Jul-12-04 05:53 AM, #12
                               RE: auto to manual swap questions, thedawg, Jul-12-04 08:16 AM, #13
                               RE: auto to manual swap questions, byakko125, Jul-12-04 09:56 AM, #14
                                    RE: auto to manual swap questions, Chamuko, Jul-12-04 07:58 PM, #15
                                         RE: auto to manual swap questions, byakko125, Jul-13-04 07:38 PM, #16

thedawgJul-09-04 07:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3144, "RE: auto to manual swap questions"
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-09-04 08:07 PM by thedawg

Use the search in my sig file.

Search for "swap" in the
"AutoTrans A604" and also the "Manual Trans MV-T350" sections

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

scdsmracrJul-09-04 08:12 PM
Member since Jun 30th 2003
144 posts,
#3145, "RE: auto to manual swap questions"
In response to Reply # 1

slave cylender, clutch pedal, spare bolts cuse u will loose some. i dunno if u have to have the manul car ecu i know going from auto to straight drive incerases your redline.

http://publish.hometown.aol.com/southerncomphort/myhomepage/avatar2.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US

ChamukoJul-09-04 08:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#3146, "RE: auto to manual swap questions"
In response to Reply # 2

wait did i read right? you swapped out your auto ecu for the MT one?
was this after your tranny died or before? our TCU communicates with the ecu to properly control the AT.

No the sensors are different. as are the plugs that go to them.
You also might want to pick up a cluster for the tach.
all the hard lines and hoses. The longer bolts for the shifter assembly.
the mounts and brackets.

Look in the auto tranny section theres a write up. Im working on the pics for it.

Its not hard really, all the holes are marked or drilled for you already.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

byakko125Jul-09-04 08:53 PM
36 posts,
#3147, "RE: auto to manual swap questions"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Chamuko
wait did i read right? you swapped out your auto ecu for the MT one? was this after your tranny died or before? our TCU communicates with the ecu to properly control the AT. No the sensors are different. as are the plugs that go to them. You also might want to pick up a cluster for the tach. all the hard lines and hoses. The longer bolts for the shifter assembly. the mounts and brackets. Look in the auto tranny section theres a write up. Im working on the pics for it. Its not hard really, all the holes are marked or drilled for you already.

well my tranny was going into limp mode and i was getting BS error codes (battery voltage when i just replaced w/ an orion and tested to 13-14volts, ect voltage, and battery temp sensor voltage) so i figured maybe ecu is fried and causing limp mode, i didn't know it was a manual ecu until i drove it to dealer to check the new code that came up (other codes cleared after switched ecu) which was iac code. driveability seemed the same, but if there was a problem with switching to manual ecu on auto tranny, i assume it would have gone into limpmode anyway?

also, where is the tcu?

soulcontrollerJul-10-04 04:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#3148, "RE: auto to manual swap questions"
In response to Reply # 4

rear motor mount is different for the mtx.

i know some people have had problems with their downpipe rubbing from all of the movement using the mtx with atx rear mount.

DSMeclipseGSJul-10-04 07:27 AM
Member since Jan 21st 2002
932 posts,
#3149, "RE: auto to manual swap questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by byakko125
1996 gs i'm sure this has probably been covered before, but my search of the threads came up dry... basically my tranny is toast and the consensus of people i've spoken to seems to be that rebuilt auto trannys are very prone to failure. my tranny has already been rebuilt and so i'm going to swap to manual. i'm looking especially for people that have done this, or have an intimate enough knowledge of both auto and manual to detail this for me. thanks basically this is the list of things i think i need (please reply with additions): manual tranny w/ clutch and pressure plate shifter assy with shift cables clutch/brake pedals clutch master cylinder (and obvious hosing) and is there a different transmission support beam for manual trannys? are speed sensors from the auto reusable for the manual or will they need to be switched out? one thing i have a question on is, whether or not the module under the hood right in front of the driver side shock tower is ecu/pcm/tcm.. manuals say it is the pcm, but junkyards all label that as ecu. my ecu was fried and i swapped it with a manual one and it still worked, which makes me assume it is the ecu. so if i swap to a manual tranny, is there a transmission control or powertrain control module that i need to switch as well? and if so where is it? thanks in advance!

How is a rebuilt auto prone to failure? If it's rebuilt well with good parts it should last longer than a stock one. I mean unless your neutral drop it every traffic light. I think you were misinformed, but if you're still gonna swap that's cool.

"Who needs a 4G63? I'd rather walk the competition than my crank..."

- Bill Hahn.... 420a GOD

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJul-10-04 07:33 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#3150, "RE: auto to manual swap questions"
In response to Reply # 6

do a search on the internet there is a writeup on how to do this and everyting you need.

Terry

96 Eagle talon ESI
Star Stage II - Boost/oil/EGT gauges

97 Eclipse
Greddy header/evo exhaust - SFMU/return line - Stage 2 6 puck Sprung hub MIBA clutch - Shortened shifter - Koni Yellows w/eibach prokit - Stillen Fr/Rr swaybars - ceramic intake - DEI Keyless entry alarm - Niche 17" Shoks

Waiting to be installed: Apexi AFC, HKS EVC IV, 450 Turbo injectors, GSX Front brakes (need rotors)

Mitchell on Demand copies available

BlueMoonEclipseJul-10-04 10:53 AM
Member since Sep 25th 2003
1352 posts,
#3151, "RE: auto to manual swap questions"
In response to Reply # 7

"beep" paging a moderator

.........FIrst off wrong forum....second there is 200000 topics on this in the AT transmission section

Thanks again for demonstrating how not to use the search button

vote for your choice of body style for Bluie!! http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluemooneclipse

byakko125Jul-10-04 11:48 AM
36 posts,
#3152, "RE: auto to manual swap questions"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by BlueMoonEclipse
"beep" paging a moderator .........FIrst off wrong forum....second there is 200000 topics on this in the AT transmission section Thanks again for demonstrating how not to use the search button

first off, i'm not that familiar with the layout of this forum, so how would i have known there were tranny specific subsections in the board? second, its not my first day on a computer, i'm aware of the etiquette of searching for threads that already covered my question, but as i said already, i'm not that familiar with this board, so my search came up with a lot of nonsense already, don't presume to know what i've done unless you asked.

thedawgJul-10-04 10:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#3153, "RE: auto to manual swap questions"
In response to Reply # 9

See the very first reply to this thread. nuff said.

byakko125Jul-11-04 10:37 PM
36 posts,
#3154, "RE: auto to manual swap questions"
In response to Reply # 10
Jul-11-04 10:39 PM by byakko125

Originally posted by thedawg
See the very first reply to this thread. nuff said.

yeah man, honestly i really appreciated that reply, quick no-nonsense, and got me where i needed to go, i found absolutely everything i needed off that and off the writeup by mike and ivan. most of your replies were helpful. originally i was going to take it to the shop to have tehm swap it out, but after all the info from this site, i'm probably gonna end up doing the swap myself... in response to what i said about rebuilt auto trannys breaking down, mine was rebuilt maybe 1-2 years ago and i recently read that due to a high probability of contaminants remaining in the tranny after a rebuild, seals could blow, bearings could break down, etc. it just sounded that much more believable since it happened to me. anyone else have that happen to them on a rebuild?

ChamukoJul-12-04 05:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#3156, "RE: auto to manual swap questions"
In response to Reply # 11

Then that was not a very good rebuild.

A lot of chrysler cars , minivans etc use our tranny or its very similar bros.

Glad that write up could help. I dont take any credit for writting it, but im working on updateing it and I am taking the pics as I go along. I have yet to actually get teh 5 spd in there , but it's on its way.

Dont let most peeps here get you down. What they neglected to say is that most are tired of seeing the same thing asked over and over , then you post it in the wrong section and all hell breaks loose. Get me on a bad day and I would have done the same.

Well good luck and if you have anything to contribute to the write up like pics or comments. e-mail me.

Member # 751

(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

thedawgJul-12-04 08:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#3157, "RE: auto to manual swap questions"
In response to Reply # 12

Yeah, the metal shavings left over in a tranny after the old one fries will definitely shorten the life of a rebuilt one.

In my opinion, the solution is to have the transmission professionally flushed so that every single drop of fluid and all contaminants are removed from the tranny once it's rebuilt.

Then you can sue them if they miss a spot.

byakko125Jul-12-04 09:56 AM
36 posts,
#3159, "RE: auto to manual swap questions"
In response to Reply # 12

as far as i can tell while i was looking through my car following the writup, the most difficult parts seem to be getting a drill up behind the dash to make the openings for the clutch master cylinder, and bolting up the pedal and cylinder from the inside, engine bay side is right up top and seems relatively easy to get to... taking out the tcu first before pulling old, and installing new shift cables may be a good idea too. anyone have good methods on getting the car high enough to drop out the tranny w/o a lift? i can't even get a jack under my car without driving it onto a phonebook or something first. anyone ever lift out the tranny from the top?

in case anyones interested in seeing, heres my car when it was in its prime: http://byakko.onlineshowoff.com

ChamukoJul-12-04 07:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#3161, "RE: auto to manual swap questions"
In response to Reply # 14
Jul-12-04 07:59 PM by Chamuko

no way your taking the auto out, at least not from the top. That thing is frigging huge. I took out the block and the tranny and had to really tilt it. The way it sits, it will hit the frame on the drivers side.

Droping it should not be aprob. Make sure you have a friend, unless you can bench a lot.

Getting a drill in there is not difficult at all. I misplaced my hole cutters so I just ghettoed it with the biggers bit I had. then made everything nice with a dremel I borrowed.

Member # 751

byakko125Jul-13-04 07:38 PM
36 posts,
#3164, "RE: auto to manual swap questions"
In response to Reply # 15

got any tips on dropping out the auto? how did you guys raise the car? just extra high jackstands and maybe a jack or tranny jack? am i right thinking there are only 2 mounts on the manual tranny and 3 on the auto? and the writeup says to actually remove one of the mounts from the tranny first before dropping out out, does that mean it would get in the way a bit if left on?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #3143 Previous topic | Next topic