Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #4282
View in linear mode

Subject: "ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..." Previous topic | Next topic
jdpilotOct-22-02 07:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1128 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4282, "ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..."

I have been on the board for a couple years and NEVER entered the audio conference. Alright, heres the scoop. I have a Kameleon headunit. I want to replace the factory speakers, throw in a 4 channel amp, a sub and amp. What are your suggestions. Sizes, brands, etc. I am looking for a system that will bang out some nice bass yet crank out the highs and voice. I want to be able to listen to any type of music and have crisp clarity. No super $$$high end stuff and no DVD for now. Let me know..jd

Second Place "Sanford Sound SLAP 2005" Mild 2-Door
http://www.sanfordsound.com/carwash2005.htm
Second Place "Scrapefest 2002" 2nd Gen Mild
1995 GS AT, 97-99 Conversion.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8
1999 Chevy K2500 crew cab
5 jets skis, 3 snowmobiles, 2 ATVs. BRAAP!
Member # 1147

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..., xEclipsE RaceRx, Oct-22-02 08:05 AM, #1
RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..., fabry827, Oct-22-02 08:07 AM, #2
RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..., dfresh, Oct-22-02 10:18 AM, #3
      RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..., LoudEclipse, Oct-22-02 11:49 AM, #4
           RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..., 98gseclipse00, Oct-22-02 12:19 PM, #5
           RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..., xEclipsE RaceRx, Oct-22-02 12:49 PM, #6
                RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..., 98gseclipse00, Oct-23-02 10:53 AM, #9
           RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..., SPL_Eclipse, Oct-22-02 02:06 PM, #7
                RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..., jdpilot, Oct-23-02 07:09 AM, #8
RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..., gzrs99, Oct-24-02 02:07 PM, #10
RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..., SPL_Eclipse, Oct-24-02 02:34 PM, #11
      RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..., bstnsportsfan, Oct-27-02 09:12 AM, #12

xEclipsE RaceRxOct-22-02 08:05 AM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
2982 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4283, "RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..."
In response to Reply # 0

Im going all //Alpine, and I have heard that Alpine is known very well for their clarity. So...you might want to check them out.

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition
Check Out My Site For Pix
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/EclipseRaceR/MyEclipse/

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

fabry827Oct-22-02 08:07 AM
Member since Apr 14th 2002
194 posts,
#4284, "RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..."
In response to Reply # 0

I just got an MA audio m486i 4 channel 800 watt peak amp and it's really nice. I also have an mtx blue thunder 10" sub and it sounds great, but I believe they are discontinued now. But anyway, I also have had real good luck w/ some Blaupunkt and Pioneer stuff. It basically comes down to which brand you prefer in the end.

justin
**1998 RS w/ 5 spd **FOR SALE**
http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=117972723&dealer_id=&make=MIT&distance=25
&max_price=&model=ECLIP&advcd_on=n&end_year=2003&min_price=&certified=n&address
=43947&search_type=used&advanced=n

dfreshOct-22-02 10:18 AM
Member since Aug 20th 2002
551 posts,
#4285, "RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..."
In response to Reply # 2

I have Boston's in my car for highs and they distort a little at high volume, I wish I had gotten ALpine because I heard that they are better. From what I have learned, its good to get nice speakers with really nice componets,amps, wires, eq, etc.... Bad componets will make the best speakers sound like shit.

dfresh

will post more pics when front is painted

LoudEclipseOct-22-02 11:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1758 posts,
#4286, "RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..."
In response to Reply # 3

i know this is going to sound stupid, but why not spend an afternoon listening to different speakers? i mean its your money and your ears, yea they can say that brand x is the best, but you listen to it and dont like it and like the way that brand z sounds, go listen to them and buy according to your ears

98gseclipse00Oct-22-02 12:19 PM
Member since Jan 12th 2002
182 posts,
#4287, "RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..."
In response to Reply # 4

hey man 2 days ago I bought the alpine 7893 and LOVE it everything sounds GREAT with mine. Does anyone else have this one whats your feedback on it?
good luck man

Jeff

For Sale: 98 3Piece Spoiler email me
www.wrestlewarehouse.com

xEclipsE RaceRxOct-22-02 12:49 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
2982 posts,
#4288, "RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..."
In response to Reply # 5

I have the 7893...I love it too...I spent $400 for that shit tho...I wish I would have gotten the next level up and got the MP3 player, but I didnt want to spend $100 more for that feature...I wish I would have now...

OH YEA! and on the blue buttons like next> back< and band after you push them a while (like over time) the white lettering will come off...so try and use yur remote as much as you can...mine is looking old now

Check Out My Site For Pix
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/EclipseRaceR/MyEclipse/

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

98gseclipse00Oct-23-02 10:53 AM
Member since Jan 12th 2002
182 posts,
#4289, "RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..."
In response to Reply # 6

Thats cool thanks for the heads up on the buttons.... When the hooked mine in I kept the little box that goes under the radio and my old radio was stolen so i ordered a new box and when they hooked everything up the box was pushed in a little and the radio was pushed out a little they said it needed to be cause it pops out. How does yours look??
Thanks man

Jeff

>I have the 7893...I love it too...I spent $400 for that shit
>tho...I wish I would have gotten the next level up and got
>the MP3 player, but I didnt want to spend $100 more for that
>feature...I wish I would have now...
>
>OH YEA! and on the blue buttons like next> back< and band
>after you push them a while (like over time) the white
>lettering will come off...so try and use yur remote as much
>as you can...mine is looking old now
>
>1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition
>Check Out My Site For Pix
>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/EclipseRaceR/MyEclipse/

For Sale: 98 3Piece Spoiler email me
www.wrestlewarehouse.com

SPL_EclipseOct-22-02 02:06 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#4290, "RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..."
In response to Reply # 4

>i know this is going to sound stupid, but why not spend an
>afternoon listening to different speakers? i mean its your
>money and your ears, yea they can say that brand x is the
>best, but you listen to it and dont like it and like the way
>that brand z sounds, go listen to them and buy according to
>your ears
>
>
>
>

AMEN brotha! i tried bringing that attitude with me to this board and most people respond with "well im just looking for ideas cause i dont know much about this", and that i can see, so i just throw some suggestions out...but ^^^^ is spot on.

heres my tip: buy a cheap amp. amps multiply the voltages of the headunit with the cars electrical voltage to output a higher powered signal. its really basic electronics and the varience between most amps will be in the level of "hiss" and turn on/off pops. dont go buying a jensen, pyramid, rat shack, etc. amp, but dont feel the need to buy a brax or genisis (using hyperbole here...those are thousand+ dollar amps) because they have a 1 point edge in the s/n ratio. just get somthing you know is reliable and will put out a fair amount of power at a low distortion level. pioneer, hifonics, autotek, etc. all fit into the "cheap but good" niche.

the same applies to headunits. they all do the same basic thing, so go with features, ergonomics, and output voltage to determine the right one.

speakers.......THATS where its at. im not really a big fan of any budget speakers, so im just going to leave it to everyone else to fill in some blanks here.

and remember...the system is only as good as the install. do it with integrety and patience and youll be much happier

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

jdpilotOct-23-02 07:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1128 posts,
#4291, "RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..."
In response to Reply # 7

Thanks for the input guys!!

Second Place "Sanford Sound SLAP 2005" Mild 2-Door
http://www.sanfordsound.com/carwash2005.htm
Second Place "Scrapefest 2002" 2nd Gen Mild
1995 GS AT, 97-99 Conversion.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8
1999 Chevy K2500 crew cab
5 jets skis, 3 snowmobiles, 2 ATVs. BRAAP!
Member # 1147

gzrs99Oct-24-02 02:07 PM
Old School 2GNTer
108 posts,
#4292, "RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..."
In response to Reply # 0

I agree with SPl ecplise. A high output amp and high preamp voltage really does make system sound better than a installed HU. When in choosing an amp search for a high S/N ratio 100 or more is better.H/u also search for high preamp out voltage more than 2.0 Volts. I can't stress this enough purchase quality RCA Cables and ground all units to a single ground including the HU. I'm currenly have a Kenwood Excelon HU with 800 and 600 watt jensons installed with kenwood/adjustable jenson tweeter speaker. The sound quality to me is better than any Hu i'v installed.

SPL_EclipseOct-24-02 02:34 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#4293, "RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..."
In response to Reply # 10

be careful grouding all components to the same location. make sure you dont "stack" the grounds, or you might get some ground loop interference. its not really that neccisarry to run all your grounds to the same spot, its a much better idea to keep your ground wires as short as possible and just ground to the nearest appropriate area then to have 10 foot long ground wires everywhere. everyone seems to have thier own opinion about all that though, just based on thier own personally experiences

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

bstnsportsfanOct-27-02 09:12 AM
Member since Oct 10th 2002
26 posts,
#4294, "RE: ITS STEREO TIME....Need advice..."
In response to Reply # 11

Just a few brands I like...
Headunit: Alpine (Im buying the 7893), Clarion, Eclipse

Subs: JL (my fave), RF, Eclipse, Kicker, MB Quart, Boston Acoustic (i hear they are great SQ), Alpine Type-R, MMatts, Pioneer

Amps: Alpine, JL, Kicker, Phoenix Gold, Mmatts,

Mids & highs: JL, Alpine type-r, MB quart, Boston Acoustics...(my mind went blank)

There are tons of brands to chose from, personally I think I am going to go all JL in my eclipse, just a matter of saving the money. I'd personally suggest going to a few different audio shops and listening to them, then picking what you like best!

As far as the member that says he wish he got Alpine over Boston Acoustics...what model Bostons did you get? I have head nothing but great things about the Pro Series and Z series...

Chris
98 Eclipse RS

Chris
98 Eclipse RS

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #4282 Previous topic | Next topic