Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #90982
View in threaded mode

Subject: "All-Nitrous 2GNT" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
babybeclipseDec-18-04 09:56 AM
Member since Mar 01st 2002
3083 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#90982, "All-Nitrous 2GNT"

What do you believe would be the limit to running a "All-Nitrous" 2gnt?

Anyone think 300-400hp could be made using nitrous alone?

I'm seriously considering pushing the nitrous limit with my car.

For those of you that don't know. I have low comp (8.8:1) JE pistons, Eagle rods, Cleavet (sp?) bearings, ported/polished Fierro Racing head, MSD inline fuel pump, and large injectors (trying to sell those now).

I still need to finish my manual trans swap so clutch and axles are yet to be determined. I also have a Diff from ERT coming too.

Since I pulled the turbo off, I'm running a stock header/DP to a 2.5" test-pipe to a 3" Apex-i exhaust.

I was thinking a progressive controller, Direct port and maybe ITBs

Discuss

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
turbo8uDec-18-04 03:10 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#90983, "RE: All-Nitrous 2GNT"
In response to Reply # 0

yea i think so dude, you're going to need a hefty shot of some nitro though and lots of fuel and tuning. i think its a good idea, you should work out how much fuel that is for a 2 liter at 400hp and then work out how much nitrous that would have to be

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonDec-18-04 04:52 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#90984, "RE: All-Nitrous 2GNT"
In response to Reply # 1

Has anyone found a progressive controller that will work with our ignition setup?

Terry

96 Eagle Talon ESI....Daily driver

97 Eclipse.........

JWoodleyDec-18-04 06:33 PM
Member since Mar 27th 2003
2335 posts,
#90985, "RE: All-Nitrous 2GNT"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Has anyone found a progressive controller that will work with our ignition setup? Terry 96 Eagle Talon ESI....Daily driver 97 Eclipse.........

MegaSquirt maybe? Slick, fill us in. High CR is better for N20 applications and the opposite is true for boost.

babybeclipseDec-19-04 03:42 PM
3083 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#90986, "RE: All-Nitrous 2GNT"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by JWoodley
High CR is better for N20 applications and the opposite is true for boost.

explain to me WHY?

It's all about cylinder pressure.

There IS NO DIFFERENCE (except for off boost/nitrous power)

BumpinTalonDec-19-04 04:32 PM
Member since Mar 23rd 2004
2381 posts,
#90987, "RE: All-Nitrous 2GNT"
In response to Reply # 4

most of the drag race domestic guys run low comp pistons in their nitrous motors, but there are some guys who run tiny smallblocks with high comp pistons and nitrous and make huge power spinning a lot of rpm, and I think that is more relevant for a motor like ours... but they both have completely different schools of thought. the big motor, low comp guys just get torque monsters while the small motor guys spin a lot of rpm, which is basically what import guys have to do.
either way, with a strong bottom end and careful tuning, you could get a hell of a lot of power out of a direct port system. the limitation isn't so much your cylinder head and pistons, but what you can do with your fuel delivery and tuning. a stand-alone engine management would be a very important part of a build-up like this.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

cougar694uDec-20-04 04:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3381 posts,
#90988, "RE: All-Nitrous 2GNT"
In response to Reply # 4
Dec-20-04 04:25 AM by cougar694u

Originally posted by babybeclipse
explain to me WHY? It's all about cylinder pressure. There IS NO DIFFERENCE (except for off boost/nitrous power)

You must use lower compression for a forced induction because it's putting a larger amount of air into the cylinder. It's harder to compress a bunch more air, thus needing lowered compression to allow for the added mass in the cylinder. It's forcing air into it, causing a higher cylender pressure by default.

It's better to use a higher CR in a nitrous application to get that added cylinder pressure you're talking about. You're not adding a bunch more mass with nitrous, just more oxygen molecules. You up the compression to increase your cylinder pressure when the piston at TDC. It has less mass, so you can compress it more, causing better fire.

As a rule, forced induction = lower CR; nitrous = higher CR.

**EDIT**

Just remember, though, with nitrous your cylinder temps will be higher, more so than with forced induction, and I believe you're o2 sensor will read through the roof (rich as hell) if I remember correctly. You'll need to learn to read your spark plugs to make sure you're not running too much nitrous and not enough fuel. In the event that you do notice something, always pull nitrous, don't add fuel.

~Luke
Facebook
1969 Cougar - 11.91 - 380HP
2007 GSXR 750
1999 OZ - SOLD - 15.26 NA - 14.71 on 75 shot

JWoodleyDec-20-04 04:24 AM
2335 posts,
#90989, "RE: All-Nitrous 2GNT"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by cougar694u
As a rule, forced induction = lower CR; nitrous = higher CR.

Thank you.

babybeclipseDec-20-04 11:05 AM
3083 posts,
#90990, "RE: All-Nitrous 2GNT"
In response to Reply # 7

I'm going to need NAWS, Two of the big bottles

JWoodleyDec-20-04 05:19 PM
2335 posts,
#90991, "RE: All-Nitrous 2GNT"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by babybeclipse
I'm going to need NAWS, Two of the big bottles

Since you're my homeboy, http://www.racetested.com.

Keep it on the D/L though, its not exactly street legal.

babybeclipseDec-21-04 04:23 AM
3083 posts,
#90992, "RE: All-Nitrous 2GNT"
In response to Reply # 9
Dec-21-04 04:28 AM by babybeclipse

Originally posted by JWoodley
Originally posted by babybeclipse I'm going to need NAWS, Two of the big bottles
Since you're my homeboy, http://www.racetested.com. Keep it on the D/L though, its not exactly street legal.

Wizards of NAWWSSSS LOL

I dunno what kit I'm going to go with right now. I'm broke right now so it's not that big of a priority right now

Altho I am starting a new job the 1st

Nice, a UK spec Mini on a direct port system
http://www.racetested.com/images/gallery/uk/bmw_mini_motor.jpg?osCsid=a9ea314cdc2cafadf78c7fc7fac25f8f

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #90982 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic