Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #97168
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Possible Blown Motor, Possible Solutions, Your Help Badly Needed!!!" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
biggnastySep-12-06 12:06 PM
Member since Feb 03rd 2006
105 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#97168, "Possible Blown Motor, Possible Solutions, Your Help Badly Needed!!!"

I noticed my engine sounded a little different after a fast run to my girls house when she called and said she was horny. I had about 1/8th of a tank of gas when I got on I-10, then got off with fumes.

Steam was coming from the breather and way more oil than usual, like my valve cover was being overly pressurized. Compression test numbers were 250, 260, 90, 250.

Ok guys, please diagnose my prob.

1. No water/antifreeze in oil.
2. No Chocolate milk in coolant.
3. Steam coming from exhaust and breather.
4. Valve cover massively pressurized under boost.
5. Vacuum is at 13 at idle and at 20 when I coast in gear to a stop.

Possible Solutions:

A. Replace number 3 piston and rings.
B. Remove head and have it sent to be repaired and milled, along with replacing the head gasket.
C. Replace All 4 pistons and rings with forged pistons, replace the head and call it good.
D. Both B and C.

I have a couple days until payday to figure this shit out. What ever you guys decide, please let me know now, so I can prepare my friends for a weekend of helping me do this. I'm tight on cash and dont want to remove the motor.

*ONE MORE THING*

I hear that the stock rods are good up to 21psi. If I do replace just the pistons, can I actually take 15 pounds on the new pistons and stock rods and keep it as a (hard driven) daily driver?

-Custom Hahn Racecraft Stage 2 Kit.
-Hahn FMIC
-2.5 Downpipe (Upgrading to 3")
-270cc injectors (Upgrading to 550cc)
-16g Turbo/8 lbs (Upgrading to 17lbs with mechanical boost controller)
-Custom FPR (Upgrading to S-FMU)
-Wiesco 8:8:1 CPR Pistons
-Eagle H Beams
-ARP Main/Head studs
-Centerforce dual friction stage 3
-Dyno Tune Comming Jan-07...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
CarbonFiberRSTSep-12-06 12:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#97169, "RE: Possible Blown Motor, Possible Solutions, Your Help Badly Needed!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

First off you shouldn't boost with less than 1/4 tank IMO.

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

thedawgSep-12-06 12:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#97170, "RE: Possible Blown Motor, Possible Solutions, Your Help Badly Needed!!!"
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-12-06 12:40 PM by thedawg

C.
You blew your #3 piston ringland. This happens to every oem piston after being boosted for a while. #3 is the most common for whatever reason. Rebuild with forged pistons.
You will be removing the engine.
No, you can't boost over 8psi on stock pistons. Once you get 440cc+ injectors, better fuel management, and forged pistons, you can play in the 15-18psi range. The stock rods handle 15psi, but getting forged pistons custom fit to your rods is a waste of time and money. Get Eagle rods.
Your head is fine.

biggnastySep-12-06 12:37 PM
105 posts,
#97171, "RE: Possible Blown Motor, Possible Solutions, Your Help Badly Needed!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by CarbonFiberRST
First off you shouldn't boost with less than 1/4 tank IMO.

Ok, the call was from a girl who I've only had sex with once. Also, I was willing to put the ass over my car (which I will never do again). I know not to do that, but thanks anyway for the help.

-Hahn FMIC
-Eagle H Beams
-ARP Main/Head studs

biggnastySep-12-06 12:39 PM
105 posts,
#97172, "RE: Possible Blown Motor, Possible Solutions, Your Help Badly Needed!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by thedawg
C. You blew your #3 piston ringland. This happens to every oem piston after being boosted for a while. #3 is the most common for whatever reason. Rebuild with forged pistons. You will be removing the engine. No, you can't boost over 8psi on stock pistons. Once you get 440cc+ injectors, better fuel management, and forged pistons, you can play in the 15-18psi range. Your head is fine.

So its only the ringland? This would also cause coolant to burn off through the exhaust? Also, will replacing the pistons with forged pistons make this problem totaly go away, and not happen again staying under 18 pounds of boost?

-Hahn FMIC
-Eagle H Beams
-ARP Main/Head studs

biggnastySep-12-06 12:41 PM
105 posts,
#97173, "RE: Possible Blown Motor, Possible Solutions, Your Help Badly Needed!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

Also keep in mind, I will most likely not be honing the cylinder. Is it totally bad to just drop in the new pistons and rings?

-Hahn FMIC
-Eagle H Beams
-ARP Main/Head studs

thedawgSep-12-06 12:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#97174, "RE: Possible Blown Motor, Possible Solutions, Your Help Badly Needed!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by biggnastySo its only the ringland? This would also cause coolant to burn off through the exhaust? Also, will replacing the pistons with forged pistons make this problem totaly go away, and not happen again staying under 18 pounds of boost?

It could be a blown headgasket too, you detonated quite a bit to shatter the piston, so you could very well have blown the HG too. A total engine rebuild would get you on your way, but you need to get bigger injectors, a real FMU like Aeromotive or Vortech ("custom"? wtf?). Read the turbo forum a lot, and decide if you want to keep your turbokit and invest $3000-5000 into rebuilding. If you don't have that kind of cash, sell your turbo system and do a stock rebuild.

CarbonFiberRSTSep-12-06 12:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#97175, "RE: Possible Blown Motor, Possible Solutions, Your Help Badly Needed!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

instead of triple posting you can edit your first post...
Also, stock rods have been known to fail at 13psi. I read a few posts by tommyboy from a long time ago where this was the case. Not honing the cylinders is just asking for trouble... The rings won't seat for shit in smooth worn cylinders. I'd think the headgasket would have to blown for coolant to be burning.

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

thedawgSep-12-06 12:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#97176, "RE: Possible Blown Motor, Possible Solutions, Your Help Badly Needed!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by biggnasty
Also keep in mind, I will most likely not be honing the cylinder. Is it totally bad to just drop in the new pistons and rings?

Yes it's a bad idea because you'll probably end up pulling it apart a couple months later for another rebuild. You absolutely won't get a good seal, and your rings will constantly leak. If you really want to put forged pistons on stock rods, without boring & honing the cylinders, you should first search Tommyboy's posts on here. (Cliff's notes: he rebuilt his engine like 12,000 times)

I believe Wiseco makes a piston that fits a stock 2gnt rod and bore. This is not a weekend project for a first-timer. Think several months, or weeks if you've already rebuilt a couple engines.

biggnastySep-12-06 01:03 PM
105 posts,
#97178, "RE: Possible Blown Motor, Possible Solutions, Your Help Badly Needed!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by thedawg
Originally posted by biggnasty Also keep in mind, I will most likely not be honing the cylinder. Is it totally bad to just drop in the new pistons and rings?
Yes it's a bad idea because you'll probably end up pulling it apart a couple months later for another rebuild. You absolutely won't get a good seal, and your rings will constantly leak. If you really want to put forged pistons on stock rods, without boring & honing the cylinders, you should first search Tommyboy's posts on here. (Cliff's notes: he rebuilt his engine like 12,000 times) I believe Wiseco makes a piston that fits a stock 2gnt rod and bore. This is not a weekend project for a first-timer. Think several months, or weeks if you've already rebuilt a couple engines.

Ok, i'm taking all your suggestions into consideration. But... Is there anyway I can hone the cylinders without removing the block? The head will be removed and the gasket will be replaced with a metal gasket.

As for this not being a weekend project, I have access to the base hobbyshop and 3 buddys who are all in the 12's and 14's (rx-7 and 06 GTI).

I think If we start on friday night, get the head off, get the oil pan off, get the pistons out, come back saturday morning, I dont see this taking more than 28 hours.

-Hahn FMIC
-Eagle H Beams
-ARP Main/Head studs

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-12-06 01:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#97180, "RE: Possible Blown Motor, Possible Solutions, Your Help Badly Needed!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by biggnasty

If you're not going to at least hone the cylinders, park your car, buy a crowbar, and use it to pry your head from your ass.

The fumes are oil vapor from pressurizing the crankcase, not coolant. You lost the #3 ring land. at the cheapest, you're looking at replacing one piston, rod and ring set, a new rod bearing set and honing the cylinder walls. However, rod bearing kits come in sets of 8 (two halves for each journal) and ring sets supply enough for four pistons... so you're wasting your damned money if you only replace hole's worth. If you're going to do it, re-ring the whole motor and replace all the bearingsa. Hone the effing cylinder walls

You absolutely WILL have to get into the motor, so you might as well do it RIGHT.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #97168 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic