Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #9637
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Blown Turbo seal?" Previous topic | Next topic
grneclipseNov-18-01 04:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
743 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9637, "Blown Turbo seal?"

Ok guys, i'm posting this for Loeric18

"The mechanic I took it to, took apart the oil pan and saw that the crank looked fine and that there were no metal shavings inside the oil, He has yet to take off the head, However, he said that when he took off the 16g, the turbo was toast, he said that the seal was blown and that's how the oil ended up throughout my whole turbo system (intercooler, piping, throttle body) He also said that when the seal blew it flooded my spark plugs and that's why I couldn't restart the car when I tried, Does this sound right to you guys? and does that possibly mean that I didnt blow my engine? TIA

Don't have the stock Eclipse anymore
Just a stock Gsr now,

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-18-01 06:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9638, "RE: Blown Turbo seal?"
In response to Reply # 0

Did you do a compression test?

I can see how the turbo could have been the cause of it, yes, but it's the aftereffects of having all the oil blown out of it that would worry me. I still say he spun a bearing.

If the turbo's bad, send it back to HRC. Any shaft play??

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

klipzracerNov-18-01 12:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#9639, "RE: Blown Turbo seal?"
In response to Reply # 1

when my turbo went bad in my GSX it did the same thing. so it could be either case.

loeric18_2000Nov-18-01 03:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
127 posts,
#9640, "RE: Blown Turbo seal?"
In response to Reply # 2

thanks for the post grneclipse.

I just had the turbo kit for about 5 month. I bought it brand new for HRC. Does anyone know if HRC has warrenty on their turbo kit??

DAVE_FL (Guest)Nov-18-01 03:25 PM

#9641, "RE: Blown Turbo seal?"
In response to Reply # 3

They should replace it. They seem to be a pretty good company. I am sure Bill will help you out. Give him a call and see whats up.

dsm1Nov-18-01 05:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
388 posts,
#9642, "RE: Blown Turbo seal?"
In response to Reply # 4

If the turbo was the cause of the problem they might warranty it, but if it was a problem of the motor like a spun bearing that many of us have fell victim to, they don't have to.

Also, if you take your car to satan to try to get a new motor out of it, I would stronly advise you to put your car back to stock including using a different oil pan. Any sign that you had a turbo and thier gonna drop your car down off the racks and let you be on your merry way.

Good Luck.

STAR Turbo stage II
180whp @ 5psi(untuned)

TeamMuRiXNov-19-01 05:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#9643, "RE: Blown Turbo seal?"
In response to Reply # 5

Compression test.

Oh, if the seal is bad and the turbo is relatively new, I would call and speak with HRC about it. Armond and I changed mine at his house when we found it to be a boost leak.

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

pn0ymahalNov-19-01 11:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2621 posts,
#9644, "RE: Blown Turbo seal?"
In response to Reply # 6

besides a compression test, is there any way to find out if the turbo seal has gone bad? looks, noise, time or test? etc?thanks
Michael

Michael
99gs hrc stage 5000 SOLD...
2004 Honda Accord V6 (240 hp)stock
what other car should i buy?? hmmm
Car info & pictures at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/520269

VendorHRCNov-19-01 11:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
374 posts,
#9645, "RE: Blown Turbo seal?"
In response to Reply # 7

The evidence of oil leakage past the oil seals in a turbo can be kind of a 'chicken and egg' thing: which came first, the turbo leakage or the engine problem?

In almost all cases, this type of leakage is traced to issues with the engine or installation itself.

Turbo seals are unusual in that even when in perfect condition, they are incapable of holding back oil in certain situations. These situations usually involve inadequate oil drain from turbo to engine, or excessive crankcase pressure. The first one is easy to check: make sure the turbo has a clear, unrestriceted oil drain. The second one results from either inadequate breather capacity, or damaged pistons/rings.

Wht do otherwise operable seals 'leak' under such conditions? In examining a turbo seal ring, you will note that two leakage paths exist: one through the ring end gap, and another around the ring itself, which is held stationary in the housing of the turbo while the groove it seats in on the shaft rotates at up to 140,000 RPM. Present this area with excessive oil or internal pressure, and oil will get past the seals.

For these reasons, even factory turbo cars always have a light sheen of oil present in their intake systems. It's a trace amount, not enough to cause smoke, but always evident.

We will be happy to counsel you on these aspects with your HRC turbo. Just call have your wrench call Tech Support if he has any questions. While it is unlikely that the turbo has a problem, the turbo can be inspected while out of the car if we deem necessary: it does carry a 12 month warranty, so you are covered.

Boost it!
Bill Hahn Jr.

Bill Hahn Jr.
98 RS Turbo: 10.87 @ 136 MPH
HRC Stage V with N20
Nation's Fastest Street FWD 2G DSM
www.turbosystem.com

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #9637 Previous topic | Next topic