Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #70547
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Rebuild done, problems now." Previous topic | Next topic
freddy_00_69May-07-04 05:17 AM
Member since Aug 01st 2002
1119 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70547, "Rebuild done, problems now."

Well i popped the hood after turning on the car. It idled fine, i accelerated to hear the engine a little and there was a loud noise like metal just banging all over the wall in the block. I think it is a piston that is hitting the wall and no compression is being built up. I was driving it normal and it shut off on me and now it will not start. My question is, if my piston is hitting the cylinder wall, will that cause my car not to start b/c of no compression in the motor. A friend of mine is going to take the block back off and check it, but anyone know what happened. It made the loud noise when i pressed the clutch to shift gears and then quieted down and sometimes it wouold make the loud noise when driving and quiet down when i pressed the clutch. I am kind of a newbie to rebuilding, so any help would be appreciated. What do i need to check for? Thanks.

99 RS-T
"New bottom end(8.6:1 w/long rods)"
Turbonetics 60-1/Portfueler/etc!!!!!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
thedawgMay-07-04 05:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70550, "RE: Rebuild done, problems now."
In response to Reply # 0

Will the crank turn by hand at all?
Does the starter do anything?
Was it idling fine or kinda rough before the metal banging noises?
Who built the motor, did they pre-lube all the bearings?

You probably spun a bearing.
Pull off the oilpan and inspect all the rod bearings.
The engine will run with no compression in one cylinder, but if the crank is seized, it won't turn over or anything.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamJasonESi_TMay-07-04 05:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#70552, "RE: Rebuild done, problems now."
In response to Reply # 1

Sounds like a main bearing. Ouch. Look for cracks in the block and bedplate when it's taken apart. Did you have a machine shop do the work to the engine?

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

freddy_00_69May-07-04 05:57 AM
1119 posts,
#70554, "RE: Rebuild done, problems now."
In response to Reply # 2
May-07-04 05:59 AM by freddy_00_69

It was built at a friedns house, my block and head were sent to a shop in savannah that does the machining. Other than that, everything was put in at my friends house. The bearings were pre-lubed. I will drop the oil pan and see if i find anything that could of caused this. Thanks, i will check everything that you guys suggested. The starter is fine. It was idling fine evertime i started the engine before it shut down on me.

99 RS-T

DarKReaLityMay-07-04 09:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
934 posts,
#70562, "RE: Rebuild done, problems now."
In response to Reply # 3

man that sucks, it could be they lubed the bearings on both sides instead of the top side which could have caused it to slip out, or maybe they didn't seat them right. like said above, pull the oil pan and check them. hopefully there's no damage to them already.

freddy_00_69May-08-04 05:52 AM
1119 posts,
#70597, "RE: Rebuild done, problems now. UPDATE! Sensor ???"
In response to Reply # 4

Well, the loud noise was from the transmission. Nothing was wrong with the block. A bolt was not tightened good enough on the flywheel so everytime i took off to drive or revved the engine it made the loud noise. Thank god, the motor is fine, now i have one other problem.It started yesterday, after driving it a mile or 2 it just comnpletely shut off on me and would not start back up. It would crank and try to start but will not turn on. We checked everything, only thing we think is either camshaft position sensor or the crankshaft position sensor. Now we checked for spark and we are not getting and spark at all, so we are leaning more towards the camshaft position sensor b/c if that is bad it would not send a signal. Any help, i know you guys no more about the sensors than i do, any suggestions.

99 RS-T

freddy_00_69May-08-04 02:25 PM
1119 posts,
#70630, "RE: Where is crankshaft position sensor located??"
In response to Reply # 5

Anyone know where the crankshaft position sensor is on our engine. I have not yet looked, i am going to install a new one tomorrow, just wanted to know if someone already knew. If not, its cool i will look tomorrow.

99 RS-T

TeamXtremeRSMay-08-04 03:01 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#70633, "RE: Where is crankshaft position sensor located??"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by freddy_00_69
Anyone know where the crankshaft position sensor is on our engine. I have not yet looked, i am going to install a new one tomorrow, just wanted to know if someone already knew. If not, its cool i will look tomorrow.

Passenger back side of the block. Its pretty much right by the oil filter adapter plate..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

freddy_00_69May-08-04 04:17 PM
1119 posts,
#70638, "RE: Where is crankshaft position sensor located??"
In response to Reply # 7

Thanks, i appreciate it alot. Hopefully i can get this built motor up and running and put some miles on it.

99 RS-T

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #70547 Previous topic | Next topic