Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #70233
View in threaded mode

Subject: "over heat at idle-PICS" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
xtrickedeclipsexMay-02-04 06:21 AM
Member since Oct 12th 2003
620 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70233, "over heat at idle-PICS"
May-02-04 06:22 AM by xtrickedeclipsex

I do not get this...

we put in the 160 thermo last night, water wetter, put new coolant in the raditor, and still it over heats at idle...i dont see how it could be a fan problem becuase i have a fan on there that pulls 3000 cfm....heres some pics of my fan....why do i only over heat when it sits at idle? and not when driving

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
GhEttOrAiDMay-02-04 07:02 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
1226 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70235, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 0
May-02-04 07:05 AM by GhEttOrAiD

that fan scares me... just get a couple of FAL's or something... :

its also unshrouded... which means its not necessarily pulling air through where it should

the fan only turns on at idle (or it should...at least) unless you have it switched... can you turn it on manually/let it idle/then it overheats?

maybe try flushing it

FS: 2.5" Test Pipe 25 shipped

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

xtrickedeclipsexMay-02-04 07:43 AM
620 posts,
#70239, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 1

the fan is always on...always....

im thinking of getting a smaller fan, but it gets so hot on that side it will prolly just melt

arggg

GhEttOrAiDMay-02-04 08:09 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
1226 posts,
#70240, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 2
May-02-04 08:10 AM by GhEttOrAiD

get 2x FAL black magic fans... theyre shrouded, very low profile compared to that beast..

having the fan on all the time is a bad idea... drains a lot of power, and there IS such a thing as too much cooling... but in your case ... you must have a blockage in the system or.. a bad water pump?

did it overheat this badly with the 195* thermostat? are you sure you installed the thermostat properly?

FS: 2.5" Test Pipe 25 shipped

xtrickedeclipsexMay-02-04 08:27 AM
620 posts,
#70242, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 3
May-02-04 08:28 AM by xtrickedeclipsex

well i cant even get any cooling..

we had no thermo in there for a while, so it would just cycle the coolant thro, but everyone said it was a bad idea...i dont see why...

so i put the thermo in...nothing much changed

same thing, over heat when it idled for a while...i doubt its the water pump

Dave41079May-02-04 11:05 AM
Member since Jul 30th 2002
485 posts,
#70248, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 4

The fan needs to be sealed against the radiator in order to draw air through it. Otherwise it will be pulling air in from the sides, since it will take the path of least resistance.

Lets just say this... I'm over 100whp and soon to cross 200whp. Thanx 2GNT! Now if I could only learn to prove it.

alain95i4May-02-04 01:39 PM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
794 posts,
#70257, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 5

are you sure it's a real overheating problem ?

or just the stupid sensor that feed a signal to the gauge in the dash that's not busted

they are not the most realiable part the largest one on the thermostat housing is the real sensor for the computer
the smaller one feed the gauge in the dash
change it and before starting to spend $$$$ elsewhere

Alain

one of the 2.4 true pionners

ChamukoMay-02-04 02:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#70258, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 6

Does the coolant buble? In the reservoir i mean. Also is the leve the same or are you loosing some?

My HG leaked into the cylinders that caused my prob. NOT saying thats your prob but, it could be a possibility.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

BoostedGSMay-02-04 02:32 PM
Member since Jun 30th 2002
1329 posts,
#70259, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Chamuko
Does the coolant buble? In the reservoir i mean. Also is the leve the same or are you loosing some? My HG leaked into the cylinders that caused my prob. NOT saying thats your prob but, it could be a possibility.

That's what I was gonna say too. If the coolant is bubbling out of your overflow resevoir, it's probably the headgasket. My car is doing the same thing.

You are not your job.
You're not how much money you have in the bank.
You're not the car you drive.
You're not the contents of your wallet.
You're not your fu**ing post count.

97 Eclipse GS - *SOLD*
01 Audi A6 2.7T
01 YZF-R6

Teamner947May-02-04 03:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#70261, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 0

Dude, that is a CRAZY fan. I like it. Looks wicked DIY. Shroud that thing and it looks like it would just fine. 15 minutes and a few pieces of sheet metal might solve your overheating problems.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Initial DSMMay-02-04 05:38 PM
Member since Sep 23rd 2003
2833 posts,
#70267, "RE: over heat at idle-PICS"
In response to Reply # 9
May-02-04 05:39 PM by Initial DSM

flush your radiator and check all your hoses for gunk buildup; also check your temp sensor.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #70233 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic