Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #6988
View in threaded mode

Subject: "A choice : turbo Kit or stock turbo engine" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
EklipseRSLadyJul-01-01 09:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6988, "A choice : turbo Kit or stock turbo engine"

Greetings everyone,

please help
I am trying to decide if its easier/ more less expensive to buy a stock mitsubishi turbo motor in apposed to a bolt on kit for my 99 rs. I was told I would need to reweld the motor mounts in order to fit a factory turbo engine in the rs body. any info or links would be greeat!!!

ERSL

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
KahnJul-02-01 12:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
431 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6989, "RE: A choice : turbo Kit or stock turbo engine"
In response to Reply # 0

Well don't forget you will need the tranny, ecu, and axles to make this all work - I am sure that it will probably much more expensive, and definitely much more complicated.

2003 VW GTI 1.8t.. I used to have a 95 Eclipse but well...water sucks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Black97GSJul-02-01 01:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
93 posts,
#6990, "RE: A choice : turbo Kit or stock turbo engine"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm trying to find an answer to this, too. Check this thread for a little extra info, and as I figure it out, I'll post more.

http://www.2gnt.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=1724&forum=DCForumID13

Clint

speedracer21Jul-02-01 03:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
638 posts,
#6991, "RE: A choice : turbo Kit or stock turbo engine"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd go with a bolt on turbo for your existing motor. For about 3,000 you can get a good kit with and intercooler. The install isn't very difficult, just long. Talk to mike at dss mike@diamondstarspecialties.com he'll give ya a good deal on the star turbo systems, just tell him robby sent ya.

TalonJul-02-01 09:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
258 posts,
#6992, "RE: A choice : turbo Kit or stock turbo engine"
In response to Reply # 3

nothing against star because i think they have a great turbo kit but i personnaly like hrc's kit. check out http://www.hrchahnracecraft.com

and tell me if you still wanna get teh star. i mean they have proven results and tech support....hahahah i am a dumbass and am sure i will need this when i go turbo. also talk to a few that have them and see if they like it or not?

Talon
97'Talon Esi
AEM cam gears
Injen short ram intake
Rear-upper strut bar

would have more mods but just a poor kid! LOL

cyanJul-02-01 10:20 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#6993, "RE: A choice : turbo Kit or stock turbo engine"
In response to Reply # 4

"A choice" ???
not really, swapping engines is not a choice, its a foolish project. it would cost you at least $4500 to complete it and youd be stuck with a car that is slower than a stage one bolt on kit. so you would need to dump in another 1000-2000 to the GST motor.

WIDE AWAKE
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

rsjourney95Jul-02-01 11:33 AM
Old School 2GNTer
33 posts,
#6994, "RE: A choice : turbo Kit or stock turbo engine"
In response to Reply # 5

i would wait until the NER kit comes out, then make the dicision..

DAVE_FL (Guest)Jul-02-01 12:25 PM

#6995, "RE: A choice : turbo Kit or stock turbo engine"
In response to Reply # 0

Here is the facts....A GS-T motor (4g63) would be a waste of money and time to put into a GS or RS. If you really want one sell your car and buy a GS-T. First of all the install would be very expensive and complicated. And you will have to upgrade the turbo anyway to get anywhere near the performance you can get out of a stage 2 or 3 turbo kit. And the tranny's on the 4g63's have been known to break very often when the hp level is raised from the stock 210. And of course yuo have to factor in the infamous "all your cranks are belong to us" (crank walk) for those who don't get the joke. The way I see it is you can spend 6,000 (just a rough estimate) buying the 4g63 engine
plus install. Or you can spend 2500-3000 and get a stage two and make your car faster than a GS-T and have lower insurance rates. Just my .02 on the subject.

DAVE_FL
97 T-GS
HRC stageI
Stage 2 very soon!!!!!!

Black97GSJul-03-01 01:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
93 posts,
#6996, "RE: A choice : turbo Kit or stock turbo engine"
In response to Reply # 7

LAST EDITED ON 03-Jul-01 AT 06:51 AM (PST)

Where are you getting these numbers? 6000?!?!? What the f*ck? What I see is a little different I guess. The cyclone motor for 2000. I'm sure you could get a tranny out of a GST for 500-1000 with axles. ECU is the only factor I can see as being an issue. I might say as much as 4000-4500 on the high side. It would be a "project" though. Noone with a sense of adventure? Noone like to build something? I also see a motor that can take a bit more power before having to build internals. Not to mention the fact that if you went that route, you could sell your 420a and tranny/axles for 1000+. It seems noone has attempted it, so not too many people have grounds for pulling these numbers out of their ass. Lighten up people.

Anyone know anything about that Cyclone motor? Is there an issue with crankwalk with them? I did read an interesting article about crankwalk that I'll need to dig out. They said something about oil squirters clogging up or check valves sticking were causing the crankwalk most likely. They were converting 2g blocks to have squirters like 1g blocks.

SkrillaJul-03-01 02:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#6997, "What!?!?"
In response to Reply # 8

You are saying that the 4G-63 T engine handles more power than the 420a? I hope you are ready for a debate. Both engines can't make over 400HP without building the block so I think why start with something older when you have the newer 420a. Do you know what kinds of mods you need to make HP in the 600HP range because BOTH engine need the same amount of work when you start entering that arena. So why pull a good motor (420a) and spend 3000 on a good reputable engine(4G-63T) when that 3000 can go into your original. In the search for serious power using the 420a is the only choice. There are other issues like getting the ECU for the factory turbo motor and changing the mounts labor and Crankwalk. All that can add up to another 2000-3000 dollars.

On top of that a GST has to be pushing about 270HP just to keep up with a stage 1 420a. Maybe you don't believe me, but I owned a 1G and could bairly keep up and I don't have to begin talking about all the stage 1's that are just moppin' the ground with 4g's. The 420a powertrain/drivetrain uses shorter gears and can spool a turbo quicker. Ask some of the 4G-63T owners who actually complain about lag on a 16G then talk to Chris M.(one of many obligatory names). Or a T3/T4 which can hit max boost in under 3300rpms(and that isn't the BB either). Anyway I'm not saying the 4G-63T engine is no good - it is! Just that is serves a different purpose for a lot of people and that pulling your 420a for some real power is taking the wrong road. Currently HRC's 420a is making ~500HP off of boost and their other 420a is lighting the tracks with 600HP.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

Black97GSJul-03-01 05:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
93 posts,
#6998, "RE: What!?!?"
In response to Reply # 9

Okay, now that your panties are in a twist...

Maybe I didn't explain myself fully. I agree with you mostly. I drove a 95 stock GST, and while it was kinda fun around town, it sure wasn't fast. My view on the 4g63 is it's designed for boost. It'll damn sure take more than ours w/o piston/rod changes. 400hp on a 420a w/o building bottom end? Please try it and let me know how it goes. I'm pretty sure a 4g63 will take it though. Maybe it's not as cost effective to go for the 200-300hp range, but let's say you are looking for 300-350. Maybe you've found a 4g63 w/ tranny and axles for a fair price, something like $2000. It might be a cost effective swap, especially when you can turn around and sell your 420a. My initial interest in this subject was due to the fact that noone knows what it takes or what it costs for sure to swap motors. Everyone just starts freaking out and saying how bad an idea it is. You don't need to defend the 420a to me. I drive one everyday. It's a good motor. Just seems that under certain circumstances, a 4g63 swap could be a viable solution. I for one, am definitely going Hahn stage 2 even though an engine swap doesn't seem out of bounds. I have the equipment needed available to me. I'll go Hahn stage 2, and I probably won't go any further due to the implications of building the bottom end. That's way too damn expensive and leaves you w/o wheels for too long. If I want to go fast, I'll get another bike. It's low-10's out of the box. That's just my view.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #6988 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic