Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #6290
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Turbo durability???" Previous topic | Next topic
JustOneJun-12-01 05:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6290, "Turbo durability???"

As alot of others on this board I am waiting for the release of NER kit. My biggest concern is how will my turbo hold up under long term driving. By long term, I mean long trips. I am constantly on the run and have to drive all over for my job (alot of city driving) So, my question is how well do you think a turboed 420 will stand up to that kind of punishment. And what can I do to help make it alot eazier on the turbo??? I have all my gauges ready to go, Boost, a/f gauge, fuel press. and egt. I am also going to get an oil cooler and a larger radiator (if they make one) any other suggestions...

thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
HadesOmegaJun-12-01 07:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6291, "RE: Turbo durability???"
In response to Reply # 0

Well all of the upgrades you just mentioned will prolong the life of your turbo indefinately. I just ordered a B&M supercooler so my turbo and engine cool down better. The life of the turbo is mostly dependant on you. I believe the Turbonetics turbo can handle lots of punishment, seeing as how it can handle up to 450 HP. You just need to give it ample time to cool it down before your shut it off so oil won't bake in there. Switcing to synthetic oil should help too, haha what a hypocrite I am, I'm too cheap for that stuff. Your car and you will love freeway driving, I know mine seems to take it well. Driving on hot days in a heatwave is another problem though, my engine bay got so hot one day that I melted my WeaponR breather (cheap design though). But yeah your turbo will probably last the life of your car as long as you maintain it. I'm no turbo expert though....

95 Mitsu Eclipse RS
AFX Pulley | Performance Muffler | HKS Air Filter | KYB AGX Shox | Skunk2 Coilovers | FU, RU, RL, and RRE FL Tie/Strut Bars | RS to TSi Rear Disc Mod | RS to TSi upgraded F&R Sway Bar | 97' Spyder Eclipse 5 Spoke Wheels | Star Stage 1 T3/T04E BB Turbo Kit | and 1 HiGhLy SkIlLeD DrIvEr! |

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamStan2gntJun-13-01 12:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#6292, "RE: Turbo durability???"
In response to Reply # 1

Get the ball bearing option for added durability. I dont think you'll have to worry about the turbo with regular maintenence, BOV and turbo timer. At boost levels that the stock engine is capable of handling these turbos (any kit) aren't even breaking a sweat.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon 420A-Turbo
Former and future nitrous user

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

jZaJun-16-01 03:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#6293, "RE: Turbo durability???"
In response to Reply # 2

typically, turboes outlast the engines when the engines are new.
if yu'r always on the run, i guess you d a lot of getting off and back one, soit'd be a good idea to get a turbo timer so the car stays on. Or get a remote starter and you can leave the car on and take the key w/ you.
It's your engine to be concerned about

javi d
vroom n' boom

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

SkrillaJun-17-01 11:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#6294, "Turbo life..."
In response to Reply # 0

...is only rated at 80K miles on the turbonetics turbos but typically last 125K, the engine will last longer than the turbo if built for the abuse. On a stock engine I think 50K is reasonable enough for the engine to last probably even more, I know Joe was on his for a year and Eric C has been like 2 or 3 years. I mean that guy just abuses his ca !

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

craigd887Jun-18-01 08:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
35 posts,
#6295, "RE: Turbo life..."
In response to Reply # 4

why not get one of those boost controllers like the profec and turn your boost down to keep the turbo down and save your engine

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #6290 Previous topic | Next topic