Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #56443
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Worst piston slap EVAR! (owned. badly.)" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
thedawgSep-16-03 05:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#56443, "Worst piston slap EVAR! (owned. badly.)"
Sep-16-03 05:09 PM by thedawg

Hmmm... now that looks like some perty bad piston slap thar son.

That should buff right out. I can't wait to see what the piston looks like. Suffice to say shavings of it have pretty much ruined the cam journals and probably everything else. More pics coming as I get things taken apart.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
UberingramSep-16-03 05:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#56444, "RE: Worst piston slap EVAR! (owned. badly.)"
In response to Reply # 0

wow :o

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-16-03 05:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#56445, "RE: Worst piston slap EVAR! (owned. badly.)"
In response to Reply # 1

Wow. Either that bore was WAY outta spec, or you actually damaged the piston enough to cause that. There is no way you couldn't have heard that happening, unless it happened in fairly short order.

I want pics of that piston, and that rod bearing and journal. if it was rtocking that much, the rod bearing id going to come out concave and the journal hammered.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

thedawgSep-16-03 05:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#56446, "RE: Worst piston slap EVAR! (owned. badly.)"
In response to Reply # 2

Yeah, detailed pics of everything are coming as I pull things out.

It happened over about 1k miles. It ran perfectly fine when warmed up, but I started to notice piston slap on cold starts, and it just kept getting louder every start. Also power output dropped off sharply.

Also, it was overheating badly towards the end. The headgasket was blown for sure on the Driver side rear corner, same location as dead cylinder. Probably warped the head with all the heat from combustion getting past the rings, or the extra friction from all the metal shavings everywhere.

Ironically, I still had 165 compression in that cylinder, and 180 in the rest.

TeamXtremeRSSep-16-03 05:55 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#56447, "RE: Worst piston slap EVAR! (owned. badly.)"
In response to Reply # 3

Almost looks like the piston rings expanded too much for the available room in the cylinder..Piston slap usually will mark up the thrust faces on the cylinder wall..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

ChamukoSep-16-03 06:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#56449, "RE: Worst piston slap EVAR! (owned. badly.)"
In response to Reply # 4
Sep-16-03 06:47 PM by Chamuko

Damn... I see your getting to the source of the bubbling coolant hugh?

oh yeah, i just noticed your PM, just got back from fresno. Ill send ya a reply shortly.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-16-03 07:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#56450, "RE: Worst piston slap EVAR! (owned. badly.)"
In response to Reply # 4

>Almost looks like the piston rings expanded too much for the
>available room in the cylinder..

That was my first thought after i read the word "overheating" and "blown headgasket" .. no fun. Makes me glad i'm at the wide end of JE's spec, i drove around with a blown HG, overheated almost every day, bores looked fine when the head came off.

Sorry bro. No Bueno.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

MotoFoolSep-16-03 09:03 PM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#56460, "RE: Worst piston slap EVAR! (owned. badly.)"
In response to Reply # 6

thats a keeper...

u might beable to bore that 140 or 160 over but wow!

Bill

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

eclipsekaiserSep-16-03 10:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#56464, "RE: Worst piston slap EVAR! (owned. badly.)"
In response to Reply # 0
Sep-16-03 10:27 PM by eclipsekaiser

WTF....Now that got me all paranoid about my piston slap... I hope the pistons are salvageable. If not get some CPs. Let me know when you need a hand. No worries about the rally. I understand

However how come only number four is fucked? why not the rest, they slap just as much?.

Might be time for the FTY block, will save alot of time.

-K-

jamesmanSep-17-03 05:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
#56474, "RE: Worst piston slap EVAR! (owned. badly.)"
In response to Reply # 8

Goddam!

what the heck happened there Dan! that looks really nasty! It looks like the piston was rocking back and forth like mad! I remember when we put that back together the piston to wall clearances looked correct. If the head gasket was leaking into the cylinder real bad maybe it never let that piston heat up and expand correctly, just an assumption, i may be talking out of my ass. but that looks nasty!

lates
james

Rest In Peace Heidi Doggy

TeametxSep-17-03 05:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#56480, "RE: Worst piston slap EVAR! (owned. badly.)"
In response to Reply # 9

You guys built that block yourselfs? ^^ I hear CP's slap just as much as other forged pistons..

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #56443 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic