Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #56074
View in threaded mode

Subject: "What usually goes first after turbo?" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic
lickscissorsSep-11-03 04:38 PM
Member since May 07th 2003
1206 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#56074, "What usually goes first after turbo?"

Im doing a custom turbo job soon with a 14b running only 5psi.... im not going to go above that.... my car has 90,000 miles on it... i just recently replaced the tranny, headgasket, timming belt, cam seals, and anything needed to do the headgasket.... i was just wondering what is the first, or most common thing, to go after turbo.... i will have an intercooler and any mods to try to keep engine temp down..... i was just seeing if there was anything i could take care of before hand....thanks
doug

14b custom turbo kit, modified starion front mount, 9.6:1 JE pistons/Eagle rods....running 12psi
screw flanders

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
techboySep-11-03 05:08 PM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#56078, "RE: What usually goes first after turbo?"
In response to Reply # 0

The pistions.

1999 Anniversary Edition
HRC Stage II w/FMIC

"The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifegaurd"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

lickscissorsSep-11-03 05:25 PM
1206 posts,
#56083, "RE: What usually goes first after turbo?"
In response to Reply # 1

i guess i should of also said what is the likely hood that this will happen..... at 5psi,6,7,8..... is it the pistons, or piston rings....would the pistons crack?....would the connecting rods bend... is 5psi safe on a higher mileage engine if i just maintain it well and dont floor it all the time?

14b custom turbo kit, modified starion front mount, 9.6:1 JE pistons/Eagle rods....running 12psi
screw flanders

lickscissorsSep-11-03 05:25 PM
1206 posts,
#56084, "RE: What usually goes first after turbo?"
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-11-03 05:26 PM by lickscissors

sorry....accidentally hit the submit twice

UberingramSep-11-03 05:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#56085, "RE: What usually goes first after turbo?"
In response to Reply # 3

piston rings

siueclipseSep-11-03 05:32 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2002
3504 posts,
#56086, "RE: What usually goes first after turbo?"
In response to Reply # 0

well.. usually after you install a turbo, youre foot usually goes to the floor

James

lickscissorsSep-11-03 05:49 PM
1206 posts,
#56090, "RE: What usually goes first after turbo?"
In response to Reply # 5

i know ill want to, but im going to try to hold off until its neccessary...you know, every stop sign, light, etc.....no really i know the concequences so im going to try to keep it light...... i just wanted to know how likely it is that ill blow something with only 5psi and 90xxx miles.....and another side question, does anybody use that stuff from the autoparts store (advance) that you put in with your oil and supposively cools it to "52 degrees"...im sure it wouldnt do that much, but would that help with turbo?...they also make it for fuel, power steering, radiator additive, etc......it seems like it might help keep engine temps down.... thanks

DSMRoadsterSep-11-03 05:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#56092, "RE: What usually goes first after turbo?"
In response to Reply # 6

It will blow. Have some money left over for a rebuild kit.

intricatelines.com/ -graphics and vinyls

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

lickscissorsSep-11-03 05:56 PM
1206 posts,
#56094, "RE: What usually goes first after turbo?"
In response to Reply # 7

that always makes me feel good..... i thought i was pretty safe with only 5psi?

grainSep-12-03 01:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#56113, "RE: What usually goes first after turbo?"
In response to Reply # 8

make sure you dont get detonation. that will kill your shit fast. um... ad check your compression every so often. i only boost about 90% of my driving

lickscissorsSep-12-03 03:26 AM
1206 posts,
#56115, "RE: What usually goes first after turbo?"
In response to Reply # 9

what exactly is detonation?....and how do you avoid it...i would guess just proper fuel setup would help avoid that.....i really dont see how HRC can sell a setup for 5psi (without intercooler) that says it will bolt right up to a stock engine if its almost guaranteed to blow your engine.... i still have it in my head that 5psi isnt going to hurt anything if i set it up right.... any insight on what to watch out for, or what stuff to avoid? thanks
doug

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #56074 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic