Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #43119
View in threaded mode

Subject: "NOS safety?" Previous topic | Next topic
9D9 MITSU RSJan-02-02 06:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#43119, "NOS safety?"

OK. I don't get the whole NOS thing. How does it work>? You hold a button in for like 15 secs or less? Also, how does NOS damage engines? Could I run like a 50 or 60 shot and be my dumbass self and not blow it up?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
9D9 MITSU RSJan-02-02 06:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#43120, "RE: NOS safety?"
In response to Reply # 0

also, does it spray into your intake?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

9D9 MITSU RSJan-02-02 06:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#43121, "RE: NOS safety?"
In response to Reply # 1

and wet or dry? Someone explain all this stuff. please

Teamdougie2Jan-03-02 05:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#43122, "RE: NOS safety?"
In response to Reply # 2

You need a wet kit. A wet kit has 2 lines that spray into the intake, one nitrous and one fuel. The 95 Eclipses use a dry kit. A 50-60 shot is relatively safe. I use a 70 shot and haven't had any problem, just don't use it everyday... stick to weekend racing. The Nitrous system is armed via a switch. Another switch is placed on your throttle body and sprays the nitrous at WOT. It sprays as long as you are at WOT, usually 10-15 seconds.

Here's basically how it's set up-
Run a line from the nitrous bottle to the nitrous solenoid.
Run a line from the fuel system to the fuel solenoid.
Install all electrical components and switches.
When activated, the two solenoids open and spray Fuel and Nitrous into the intake.

Check out http://www.nosnitrous.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NOS/index.html and http://www.bottlefedracing.com for more info. Also search the archives. That's about all I can think of right off hand. There is more to it but that's the basic info ya need.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

Teamdougie2Jan-03-02 05:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#43123, "RE: NOS safety?"
In response to Reply # 0

If your A/F ratio is correct, then the risk of blowing your engine is minimal. Just remember that risk is always there when using any sort of forced injection.

Doug

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-03-02 05:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#43124, "RE: NOS safety?"
In response to Reply # 4

It can damage the engine the same way a turbosystem can: Lean conditions, high EGTs. You can crack pistons and melt valves just the same as with a turbo.

All nitrous is is added oxygen, with a nitrogen buffer.. you could do the exact same thing with pure o2, albeit much more dangerously. Where a forced induction system actually forces more air into the combustion chamber, nitrous actually increases the amount of oxygen that is inducted. Anytime you add more oxygen, you have to add more fuel to compensate.. make sense?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Mystic511Jan-03-02 06:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1582 posts,
#43125, "RE: NOS safety?"
In response to Reply # 5

yea.. what they all said.. .and plus, the repressurization of the nos gas has a freezing affect that cools off the engine so something or other can happen. heh.. sorry.. i read it somewhere, but didn't really retain it cuz i'm a turbofanatic. =P

16.1 @ 87.11
http://www.virtuallyinfamous.com

ARD 57mm tb and p&p manifold, Neuspeed STB, Pro-kits, Illuminas, Injen CAI with K&N, 2.5" pacesetter catback,
AF/X UDP, Rear STB, Powerslot rotors, RRE SS Brakelines.

Teamdougie2Jan-03-02 08:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#43126, "RE: NOS safety?"
In response to Reply # 6

Yeah... Nitrous GREATLY reduces the intake temperature, which we all know is a very good thing.

Doug

9D9 MITSU RSJan-03-02 10:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#43127, "RE: NOS safety?"
In response to Reply # 7

So, if I ever did this, an egt probe and gauge a/f ratio gauges and maybe an oil temp gauge would be a good idea>? My car is auto, but someone said that is better? Is there anyway to hook it up like TFATF somewhere where you can hold it out and release if u wanna keep it at wot for more than 15 secs or so?

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #43119 Previous topic | Next topic