Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #22457
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Rebuild update...." 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
Dave_FLMay-17-02 02:50 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3317 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22457, "Rebuild update...."

Well I finally got the engine to the machine shop today. bad news is that they are not going to start working on it untill the end of next week. He is swamped with work. Oh well whats another 2 weeks? Today was the forst time I really got a good look at our engine out of the car. I noticed that it looks like I blew my head gasket. I might not even have any piston damage after all. There was a lot of oil on the back of the block near the corner where the gasket finally gave out. And all this time I thought it was my oil sending unit "T" fitting that was leaking. I ordered $400 worth of parts today from mitsubishi. I got the waterpump, timing belt, tensioner pulley(with bracket), idler pulley, head over haul gasket set, valve seals, and new heater hoses. I am spending a lot of money doing all of this at once. The good thing is the engine is going to be totaly new becuase just about everything is getting replaced. The machine shop is very expensive too. Here are some prices....

disassemble & check .....$100
clean engine block.......$100
clean engine access (head)..$125
r&r pistons..............$40
valve job................$250
resurface head.........$35
balance assembly........$175
bore and hone block ....$120
assemble long block.....$325
polish crank..........$60

Ass you can see it is very expensive to get machine shop work done around here. I checked a few places and most are about the same price. This place is supposed to be one of the best around though so I guess its worth it. I estimate this entire rebuild to cost a little more than $3000 with parts and labor. I am not really mad about spending all the money on it but I am mad about all the down time. I REALLY MISS MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
05 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
JustOneMay-17-02 03:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22458, "RE: Rebuild update...."
In response to Reply # 0

Just wait until that break-in. It sucks ass!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMay-17-02 03:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#22459, "RE: Rebuild update...."
In response to Reply # 0

You'll love it even more when you get it back.

Unless you get it back with a busted front O2 sensor, blank AFC with your 440's, and a leaking cam seal by your CmPS like *I* did.

If you do, you'll fix it and love it anyway.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Nitrous_RS1997May-17-02 04:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1311 posts,
#22460, "RE: Rebuild update...."
In response to Reply # 2

DAMN, those are some high rebuild expenses. must suck to live in FL and need a rebuild. goodluck with it Dave, it will be a monster for sure when its all said and done.

1997 Silver RS
Built
T3/T4 BB Turbo
20psi
Most current 1/8th mile time: 8.1@93mph 2.015 60'
1996 Black Supra TT
2004 Silver Snake

mitseclpsMay-18-02 01:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1018 posts,
#22461, "RE: Rebuild update...."
In response to Reply # 3

geez, hope it runs well, i'll talk to you later online i've got some q's

-bryan
'98 rst

vegasdsmrMay-18-02 07:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#22462, "RE: Rebuild update...."
In response to Reply # 4

hang in there maaayyyn...

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

HadesOmegaMay-18-02 01:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#22463, "RE: Rebuild update...."
In response to Reply # 5

yeah haha you make it sound like you enjoyed spendin more money

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

jamesmanMay-18-02 01:58 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
#22464, "RE: Rebuild update...."
In response to Reply # 6

WOW! those prices are hi! Dave i just brought my block to the local machine shop for overbore and hone and they are only charging me 50 bucks that's with hot tank cleaning. may you weren't kidding when you said those florida prices are high. my car is in pieces now too think i will get it all back together next weekend i hope...
lates
james

Rest In Peace Heidi Doggy

fly1May-18-02 02:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1470 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22465, "RE: Rebuild update...."
In response to Reply # 7

Hang in there, it'll be worth it. Those machining price is a bit high, but if they're good, it should be worth it.

"Sometimes, a man has to do what a man has to do."

DSMRoadsterMay-19-02 09:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#22466, "RE: Rebuild update...."
In response to Reply # 8

ok I have prices for my engine. for about 450 bucks the block is getting bored .020, cranked polished, head decked, and valve job. I'm not sure if these prices are too high or not. What does it mean to get your block honed, is that the same as bored? As you all know I'm removing the engine myself and for anyone who plans to do it, hit me up because I do have some safety tips that Dino forget to give me a briefing on, and I bet he was laughing his ass off when I told him about all that freon gas rushing out like a geyser all over me. Only thing I need to do now is separate the driveshaft from the tranny and get that damn battery mount out of the way so I can go to the driver side motor mount. This is very time consuming, but I probably just saved myself about 900 bucks. I would however like to thank Dino for all his help and support. I was only able to do this because Dino told me exactly what to do.

intricatelines.com/ -graphics and vinyls

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

thedawgMay-19-02 11:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#22467, "RE: Rebuild update...."
In response to Reply # 9

AHAHAHAH you disconnected the AC didn't you?! We were about 2 seconds from doing that on my car, then we go... "ummm look, there's a service port on this line... I wonder if it's still pressurized." Poked a screwdriver in there and PSSSSSSHHHHTTTT- both of us jump back. Decided not to remove it afterall

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #22457 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic