Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #218
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Blow motors & why ?" Previous topic | Next topic
BoostnRSDec-08-00 09:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
204 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#218, "Blow motors & why ?"

As most of you guys already know im on my second turbo setup, and my second set of pistons (still stock).
Now the thing is im not really sure why i cracked pistons #2 + #4.
These were the conditions :

92 Octane pump gas
12psi boost w/ 12:1 fmu + hypertech 500hp fuel pump
stock injectors
bosch platinum quad electrode sparkplugs

One thing i recently learned is that an A/F guage that is hooked up to a stock o2 is no longer accurate after ~600F ...so even though when i was boosting 12psi and my guage red "rich" it might have been otherwise.

My initial response was : too much boost ! but then i learned that most of you guys are running 10-12psi.. next i thought the hot sparkplugs that i was running could have contributed, but i dunno how relevant that is.

Just wondering what other senerios exist, and what possible explainations exist for why i ended up w/ two cracked pistons.

-= RS Turbo=-

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
SaberKhanDec-08-00 10:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#219, "RE: Blow motors & why ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah, hotter plugs with NOS or turbo applications is a no-no. You were prolly detonating like crazy.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

seanDec-08-00 12:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
99 posts,
#220, "RE: Blow motors & why ?"
In response to Reply # 0

I have heard from alot of guys that some plugs don't work well for turbo cars (i.e. spilt fire,...). If you can I would use a higher octane gas. None of the guys up here (Canada) will use anything but 94 octane unless it is an emergency and thats even on daily drivers running low boost. I think 12psi is a little high for daily driving on a stock motor. I think 8psi might be a little safer unless your at the track. Just my 0.02

TeamWyattDec-08-00 04:58 PM
Old School 2GNTer
211 posts,
#221, "yep, I did/. pushing probably 20+ PSI on stock internals an injectors"
In response to Reply # 2

Wyatt Leras
http://www.turbogs.dsmpower.com
98 Eclipse GS Star Stage 5,000 Turbo kit

BoostnRSDec-09-00 10:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
204 posts,
#222, "RE: Sparkplugs"
In response to Reply # 3

While on the topic of sparkplugs.. Has anyone tried the Iridium plugs ? Supposedly they have much smaller electrode which requires less power from the coil to create a better spark.. and according to turbo mag. it added 20hp @ the wheels on a stock skyline..

Just curious if anyone has used them yet ?

-= RS Turbo=-

Armond30Dec-09-00 11:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
161 posts,
#223, "RE: Sparkplugs"
In response to Reply # 4

I run denso iridium (HKS racing) spark plugs in my stealth turbo. they are good. the O2 sensor won't even READ until it gets to 600 degrees F. per my EGT from when I was N/A (and my car could still run)

Armond30Dec-09-00 11:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
161 posts,
#224, "RE: Sparkplugs"
In response to Reply # 4

I run denso iridium (HKS racing) spark plugs in my stealth turbo. they are good. the O2 sensor won't even READ until it gets to 600 degrees F. per my EGT from when I was N/A (and my car could still run)

Have fun!

BoostnRSDec-09-00 06:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
204 posts,
#225, "RE: yep, I did/. pushing probably 20+ PSI on stock internals an injectors"
In response to Reply # 3

Wyatt, so whats up with your new setup ?? ...what boost are you running, also anything new and exiting with your ride ?

Custom built turbo ! -=BoostnRS=-

Jason 95 GS TurboDec-10-00 11:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
183 posts,
#226, "RE: Blow motors & why ?"
In response to Reply # 0

platinum plugs run hotter than normal..get the NGK's that everyone recomends..BKRE7-11...i think that is the number...just make sure you get the 7 heat range..thats what i run, and not a sign of detonation on them at 9 lbs. of boost.

second of all, 12 PSI is way too much on stock injectors. the pistons are pretty much able to handle it, but you are not giving them enough fuel, even with the 12:1 FMU. our cars can run 310 CC injectors on the stock ECU, you might wanna look into those if you wanna keep stock internals, otherwise, to run more boost you'll need a Programmable ECU, like there has been discussion about.

Other reasons why people have blown there motors:

using the center screw in the deltagate to controll boost...that ain't what it is there for, get a manual boost controller.

too much boost, not enough fuel, your problem i am guessing...

fuel cut? i wouldn't know about this really...i got a 95..

anyway...i am sure there are other reasons..but basically, if you blew your motor, it is cus, you have too much air, and not enough fuel.

jason
95 GS turbo

TeamMuRiXDec-11-00 02:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#227, "RE: Blow motors & why ?"
In response to Reply # 0

I seriously question those plugs for any application, especially for turbo. I tried a set once. Runs better with the NGK's. Stick with the NGK's. And motors blow because of tuning. They either weren't running right before the turbo or they weren't tuned properly after the install. IE, the things mentoined here, boost and fuel

MuRiX
97 Eclipse GS HRC Stage II
And a whole lot of other mods...
89 Accord LSi - yes it's mine
http://murix.home.icq.com/index.html

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #218 Previous topic | Next topic