Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #107753
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Need some opinions on if this is ok or not." Previous topic | Next topic
MreclecthdApr-05-10 10:38 PM
Member since Apr 05th 2010
1 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#107753, "Need some opinions on if this is ok or not."

Ok, So I found this site, and have been reading and searching for hours and hours now. And am finally ready to ask my question. I know I'm gonna get bashed for this, because, from what you guys say, this question is up at least once a week. But all I wanna know if this is a good and reliable setup. I'm not looking for a whole lot of power. And I don't really have any plans on upgrading in the future. I just wanna have a little fun with my car. (99 eclipse gs) And I'm on a budget ha. I know a moderate amount about turbo's and turboing a car. I just want to double check with people who would know specifically about turboing a 420A. I got this setup from a friend of mine, so please spare me the bashing if it's just a big pile of crap. So here it is.

(Unknown manufacturer)T3/T4 turbo. (Probably from ebay. Ha!)
38MM External Wastegate.
FMIC
All piping and clamps and whatnot.
Oil feed and return lines.
AFR guage and turbo timer.
Oil catch tank.
FPR with a guage. (Fuel pressure regulator right?)
HKS SSQ BOV

Ok so that's what he gave me.

Here is what I gathered from this site.

I should probably get the following.

Walbro 255lph fuel pump.
SFMU. (Which is a fuel management unit right?)
(Maybe) Bigger injectors. 270cc?

So with all of that stuff listed, is there anything I missed that I'm going to need? I know this has probably been answered a million and one times, But I just wanna make sure for these specific parts that I'm getting you know?

Thanks guys.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RoninEclipse2GApr-06-10 11:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#107755, "RE: Need some opinions on if this is ok or not."
In response to Reply # 0

Well it looks like you've actually done some research, so we won't go too hard on you

Thank you for coming with a list of what you've got. That helps us tremendously.

I didn't see anything about building your bottom end for boost so if I were you I'd save some money and get a 12:1 FMU instead of the SFMU and stick with the stock injectors. Yes the SFMU is a fuel management unit. You can run 6-7 psi on the stock injectors with the 12:1 and the Walbro 255lph high pressure.

You don't need that FPR that you've got in your list with this setup.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorCorbinApr-06-10 07:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#107757, "RE: Need some opinions on if this is ok or not."
In response to Reply # 1

I didn't see an exhaust manifold listed, but I suppose that came with the turbo. Just to clarify, there is a regular Walbro 255 lph and a 255 lph high pressure. Get the high pressure model as it is more capable at higher pressures needed when using stock injectors. Double check what kind of FPR you have. The gain or ratio of the FPR is very important. Since the list was pretty general, you might want to take pictures of the parts laid out on the floor and post a few links. We might be able to spot problems or missing parts. If your friend bought an E-bay "kit" and never installed it, the piping might require cutting and/or welding.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

smokecessoriesApr-13-10 04:56 PM
Member since Apr 13th 2010
2 posts,
#107787, "RE: Need some opinions on if this is ok or not."
In response to Reply # 2

Do you know how much psi the wastegate is set at? If your on a budget i would wait to put that turbo on until you can afford a rebuild. Unless your running 5lb of boost or something.

SilvrEclipsApr-13-10 09:32 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#107788, "RE: Need some opinions on if this is ok or not."
In response to Reply # 3

Going to need a fuel cut defender also. On a previous fuel system I ran some dsm 450cc injectors and a SFMU with no issues. A much better fuel system in my opinion over the FMU. I was never a fan of fuel pressures over 110psi. Also may want to consider a wideband o2. Im guessing the gauge you have is a narrow band

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

HedgeJun-04-10 10:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
#107940, "RE: Need some opinions on if this is ok or not."
In response to Reply # 4

Boost gauge? an egt gauge would be nice aswell. find out the wg spring pressure as you dont want to blow anything.

Thank you mobil one for rust proofing my driveway.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #107753 Previous topic | Next topic