Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #106854
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Turbo "cold air intake"" This topic is locked.
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
Slo2gJul-07-09 10:55 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#106854, "Turbo "cold air intake""

Just wondering how many of you had made any kind of "cold air intake" for your turbo's and what kind of gain you saw out of them? I made one today and it didn't turn out too bad, I would have like to used a flare and used bigger pipe but the engine bay is already getting cramped. Let me know what you think of mine and what kind of gains/dissadvantages you have noticed with yours! And sorry about the cell phone pics, maybe one day I will get a nice camera...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
CyexmasterJul-08-09 09:16 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
324 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#106855, "RE: Turbo "cold air intake""
In response to Reply # 0

I've alway wanted to do that but never got around to it. I was told that it's better to leave the pipe close to the turbo but not attached to it to allow air to come in from the sides also.

Status- Need to do break-in...

Try not to challenge me, I'd rather tie up than lose. Either way you NEVER WIN.... - Me..

Slo2gJul-08-09 09:46 AM
1074 posts,
#106857, "RE: Turbo "cold air intake""
In response to Reply # 1

Why? So you can suck debris into the compressor wheel and fuck your turbo up?

SilvrEclipsJul-08-09 10:11 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#106860, "RE: Turbo "cold air intake""
In response to Reply # 2

Slo - Mine looks about like yours. I have never logged the temps with it on/off before. I keep meaning to just haven't got around to it. I may try and get it done this week.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

bzossJul-08-09 01:48 PM
Member since Jun 14th 2003
298 posts,
#106864, "RE: Turbo "cold air intake""
In response to Reply # 3

I don't think that it really makes any difference.. after going through the turbo the air is "hot as balls". Using a good intercooler will do you just fine. I would be suprized to see temps be more than a degree or two different from any standard intake.

Built block.
Refinished head.
Tuned suspension.
TURBO.

NightfallJul-08-09 05:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
335 posts,
#106866, "RE: Turbo "cold air intake""
In response to Reply # 4

I made one out of my old AEM cai when I went turbo. I did notice with the short pipe/filter, the compressor housing would get hot really fast. After adding the cai, you could actually still touch the compressor housing after running. Sucking cool air from under the car beats sucking up hot engine air anyday in my book

Slo2gJul-08-09 08:08 PM
1074 posts,
#106867, "RE: Turbo "cold air intake""
In response to Reply # 5

I beg to differ on it not mattering, if it didn't matter then companies wouldn't offer aftermarket intakes for turbo cars. The cooler the air the more dense the air is so the more you can suck or cram into the intercooler. It may make only a couple of whp on a na car having a cold air intake vs a ram air intake, but I was wondering how big of a difference it would make on a boosted car. When I get MSnS up and running I will put the filter on the turbo inlet and make a pull and log intake temps and then do it with the "cold air" on and log intake temps and see what the difference is.

bzossJul-09-09 09:47 AM
Member since Jun 14th 2003
298 posts,
#106868, "RE: Turbo "cold air intake""
In response to Reply # 6

Company's offer a lot of "crap" you don't need. When driving down the road, air is constantly circulating around in your engine bay. Sure it will be hotter than the outside air, but with an intercooler it shouldn't make much difference in the end. The intercooler should take care of most if not all of your "air intake temperature" needs if it is sized properly.
Just because some company builds it doesn't mean it is worth something. Just look at all the crap on e-bay. If you are stupid enough to buy it, then so be it.

I am just saying, in MY opinion, take it for what it is, the effort to do this and risk sucking up water is not worth it for the miniscule temp difference you may see. And on that note, I would be interested in seeing anyones intake temps before and after this install. Using legitimate methods of course. Not just, " I felt my turbo"..

Built block.
Refinished head.
Tuned suspension.
TURBO.

Slo2gJul-09-09 10:34 AM
1074 posts,
#106869, "RE: Turbo "cold air intake""
In response to Reply # 7

I agree there is crap on ebay but reputable companies make intakes and are dyno proven to make power on factory boosted cars, I will do some logs with msns and see what the difference is.

ModeratortekleinJul-09-09 12:44 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#106870, "RE: Turbo "cold air intake""
In response to Reply # 8

Its a great idea.

In SC you dont have to worry about sucking up water that much. I ran my Neon CAI filter 3" from the ground. Never had an issue.

Not to mention the minute amount of water it MAY suck up will get vaporized as soon as it hits the compressor wheel.

CAI's give dyno proven gains on factory turbo cars like Slo said.

Great idea, I dont think it cost that much, and it probably helps. Certainly cant hurt.

justins71Jul-09-09 01:33 PM
Member since Oct 25th 2007
466 posts,
#106871, "RE: Turbo "cold air intake""
In response to Reply # 9

Should help out. I'd like to do it, but my cold pipe runs about where I'd need to run a large enough intake pipe. In theory, the cooler you can get the air pre-turbo, the less energy the compressor needs to compress it. I know underhood temps can probably vary 20 degrees vs. ambient, so there's that. FWIW, I've logged about 270*F post-turbo at 18psi on a 75* night, and about 90-95* post-charge cooler on a long highway pull.
On the other hand, there's the thought of restricting the compressor intake flow. The closer you have a filter element, the more able the compressor is to take air from wherever at any rate. If you have a long intake tube, you need to make sure it's adequately sized that you don't get pressure drops when under boost, or for quick-spooling turbos before the air can get a stable flow. Most engine bays can't take that size of tubing for descent power. If you're sub-250hp, then yeah, 3" would be okay, but I've got a restriction gauge off a GM on my turbo intake, and at 3" with a 10" tube at 15psi it's pulling a vacuum of about 3"Hg. Higher hp may need 'feeder' tubes 4"+ to get good volume flow, also kinda depends on DD vs. drag, etc.

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
FMIC, diy piping & RFL BOV
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
50 lb/hr Holley injectors w/ 1:1 RRFPR
JE 8.8:1 dish w/ Hastings Rings
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head
3" custom DP/cat section, 3" PIT catback
dual MBC - 12 psi / 20psi

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #106854 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic