Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #106029
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Started the intercooler fabrication." 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
eclipse982nrRSTMar-06-09 01:44 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#106029, "Started the intercooler fabrication."
Mar-06-09 01:45 PM by eclipse982nrRST

I started to work on the intercooler yesterday and today. I probably wont finish it for another week or so since I have limited time with the little man always running around now, haha. Anyway, my goal was to cut off the passenger side end tank and weld it to the other side along with a block off plate to divide the two end tanks in half. I wanted both inlet and outlet tanks on the same side since running 3 inch i/c piping would be a fuck load easier to do now. So, here is thus far the process. Also, to keep in mind, this is the first time I am tigging aluminum together...what perfect timing to start a shit load of new projects I have coming.

So, to start off after I had cut the intercooler up, I picked up a sheet of 1/8" thick 6061 aluminum. And of corse, you MUST drink a Monster before and during the fabrication.

The first piece welded to the intercooler on the top. This piece is 4" long and welded at a 45* angle.

Bottom piece welded. Same 4" length, however I angled this one more of like a 35* instead of the 45 like the upper.

Both upper and lower halfs welded to the i/c.

Middle section cut and welded in.

And the last thing I did was cut the end piece for one side and got the long bead welded to the intercooler.

Now, I need to run up to to Sears and get a 4-5" welding clamp So I can clamp the sides down to the center section so it does not warp when welding it together.

More to come this weekend hopefully.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
RoninEclipse2GMar-06-09 02:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#106030, "RE: Started the intercooler fabrication."
In response to Reply # 0

Nice welds!

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

boostdtalonMar-06-09 06:10 PM
Member since Jan 18th 2009
47 posts,
#106031, "RE: Started the intercooler fabrication."
In response to Reply # 1

damn Mike thats some nice welding! what core are you using?

eclipse982nrRSTMar-06-09 06:35 PM
6314 posts,
#106032, "RE: Started the intercooler fabrication."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by boostdtalon
damn Mike thats some nice welding! what core are you using?

Thanks guys. I should be done with the entire intercooler tomorrow night I am thinking.

The core itself size is a 27x14x4 I believe. I will double check tonight though and post up when I am done.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

420agreenvilleSCMar-06-09 08:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#106033, "RE: Started the intercooler fabrication."
In response to Reply # 3

how much does welding the end tanks on yourself save in $? curious.. how much did the core cost, and where'd you obtain the aluminum sheets for fabrication?

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

NightfallMar-06-09 08:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
335 posts,
#106034, "RE: Started the intercooler fabrication."
In response to Reply # 3

Very nice work, I envy your welding skills! Everytime I try to weld something I catch something or myself on fire lol.

eclipse982nrRSTMar-06-09 09:29 PM
6314 posts,
#106035, "RE: Started the intercooler fabrication."
In response to Reply # 4

Ebay intercooler = $125.00
Filler rod for tig = $12.50
Cutting off and fabrication new tanks = $5 for griding discs.
One 6061 1/8" aluminum 24"x24" sheet = $30.00

So, under $200 as compared to buying a same side inlet/outlet intercooler that is smaller in size, about half the size actually from CXRacing, I saved about 200 bucks.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Mike431635Mar-07-09 09:54 AM
Member since Feb 08th 2009
161 posts,
#106036, "RE: Started the intercooler fabrication."
In response to Reply # 6

Like the others said, pretty damn nice welds. When I try it looks like poo, which is precisely why I'm not welding anything visible on my ride haha

john97esMar-07-09 09:57 AM
Member since Jul 11th 2007
18 posts,
#106037, "RE: Started the intercooler fabrication."
In response to Reply # 7

That does look really good.

built and boosted 420a avenger

eclipse982nrRSTMar-08-09 06:33 PM
6314 posts,
#106039, "RE: Started the intercooler fabrication...Updated."
In response to Reply # 5

Okay well the i/c is mostly done. I am going to finish grinding the edges later in the week and then polish the end tanks and flow plate. Here are some pics.

http://www.2gnt.com/graphics/finished ic1.JPG
http://www.2gnt.com/graphics/finished ic2.JPG
http://www.2gnt.com/graphics/finished ic4.JPG
http://www.2gnt.com/graphics/finsihed ic5.JPG

Then I started to weld all the piping together. I later ran out of gas so I could not finish to weld the BOV flange on. This pipe shown will still get 2 mounting brackets to it, and also will connect to a 90* coupler to a 180* pipe to the intercooler.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

CyexmasterMar-12-09 08:18 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
324 posts,
#106059, "RE: Started the intercooler fabrication...Updated."
In response to Reply # 9

Looking really nice! do yo have de pics for the finishe intecooler and pics with the fitment?

Status- Need to do break-in...

Try not to challenge me, I'd rather tie up than lose. Either way you NEVER WIN.... - Me..

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #106029 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic