Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108320
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Excited and Disappointed" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
eclipserstturboNov-23-10 02:52 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108320, "Excited and Disappointed"

Well... I've been doing alot to my 98 RST the past couple months, both cosmetic and performance. After searching for 3 hrs this morning and finding out what disc/ring and idle fuel pressure to set the SFMU, I finally decided to install the 330cc injectors I've had for going on 6 months now.

The exciting part: This thing pulls rediculously hard. I never knew that 330s would have made that much of a difference. It's really insane. Not only that but by lowering my static fuel pressure I solved my annoying (yet asthetically pleasing) "cam idle" problem that I've had since I got the new motor in.

The disappointing part: I cannot get my intercooler pipes to stay on no matter what I do. After my first and only pull, pipe shot out of the coupler... AGAIN!

I've searched google, here, tuners, everywhere I can think to search and read almost every single article I can find and I've tried everything I've come across only to be let down on my 1st pull with the new injectors. I've done hairspray, brake clean, electrical and friction tape on the ends of the pipes, re-routed the pipes, changed out couplers, clamps, everything except getting them bead welded.

I was wondering if there was ANYTHING other than getting them bead welded that might work. I'm trying to build this car with as little shop work as possible, but it looks like I might have to go that route to get this thing to hold boost. Originally I was running 12lbs and figured it was just too much for the couplers to handle. Now I'm only running 8lbs and it's the exact same story. I fix one pipe, another pops off. Fix that one, another pops off.

I only have two problems left with this car, no output from the speed sensor, and those f*****g I/C pipes.

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
ModeratortekleinNov-23-10 02:55 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#108321, "RE: Excited and Disappointed"
In response to Reply # 0

Are you using T Bolt clamps?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-23-10 03:01 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108322, "RE: Excited and Disappointed"
In response to Reply # 1

You have to bead the pipes. If your pipes arent beaded at all, you never going to keep the pipes on.

eclipserstturboNov-23-10 03:43 PM
281 posts,
#108323, "RE: Excited and Disappointed"
In response to Reply # 2
Nov-23-10 03:43 PM by eclipserstturbo

Yes to the t-bolt clamps.

And I know. I was frustrated and looking for an easy way out. The piping that I have on there now are all cut, which is why I'm trying to avoid getting a new set of pipes that already have beads made in them. I'd just end up cutting the bead off anyway.

And thanks for the fast responses guys.

420agreenvilleSCNov-23-10 04:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#108324, "RE: Excited and Disappointed"
In response to Reply # 3

you don't have to run a bead all the way around, you can just tack it at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o' clock. that's enough for a hold.

this is assuming your paying someone to tack it for you which i'm also assuming that you're trying to save money. Usually shops'll charge for anything/everything they can.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

NightfallNov-23-10 05:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
335 posts,
#108325, "RE: Excited and Disappointed"
In response to Reply # 4

Muffler shops have machines that can flare pipe ends, just have to be careful though not to go to crazy on them. Just a thought...

ModeratorbullettdsmNov-23-10 05:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#108326, "RE: Excited and Disappointed"
In response to Reply # 5

Yup, roll a bead or weld a bead. Hell, you won't even need T-bolts if you get a bead on there.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Slo2gNov-23-10 09:07 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#108327, "RE: Excited and Disappointed"
In response to Reply # 6

Cheap hairspray works wonders as well....

grainNov-23-10 09:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#108328, "RE: Excited and Disappointed"
In response to Reply # 6

a cheap and easy way ive done, is sand to bear metal on the end of the pipe, and get some jb weld and make a lip on the end of the pipe. its worked for me in the past, and easy enough for you to do.

420agreenvilleSCNov-23-10 10:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#108329, "RE: Excited and Disappointed"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by grain
a cheap and easy way ive done, is sand to bear metal on the end of the pipe, and get some jb weld and make a lip on the end of the pipe. its worked for me in the past, and easy enough for you to do.

that might work, but it prolly wont permanently hold

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

eclipserstturboNov-23-10 10:52 PM
281 posts,
#108330, "RE: Excited and Disappointed"
In response to Reply # 8

What I did was use brake clean around the end of every pipe. Dried it off with microfiber cloths. Hit it with some hairspray, dollar store brand, and put it back together. Didn't work.

Then I took them apart again and used a few layers of electrical tape on the ends. Also didn't work.

Then... same thing with friction tape. Still... didn't work.

I've been weighing my options and the exhaust shop seems to be my best route. I'm not so much trying to save money (been down that road and 2 yrs later here I am) as I am trying to do everything myself. I've gotten to the point where everything I used to be scared to mess with is something easy to tackle now. I'm trying to make everything like that so I don't have to rely on a shop that's going to look at my car like "... Uh oh... that's not stock. Your problem lies in the custom work done.".

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108320 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic