Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #35299
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Puff of smoke when i shift? IS this normal for turbo cars?" Previous topic | Next topic
XXConvictDec-01-02 09:50 AM
Member since Nov 10th 2002
36 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#35299, "Puff of smoke when i shift? IS this normal for turbo cars?"

Today, while driving behind me, my girlfriend noticed that each time i shifted a puff of smoke came out of my car. I was thinking now could this be? turbo related? And wondering how, if at all, the clutch was related? Could i need new rings? I have a 25g turbo btw.....It has smoked before but only after i stall then start it up again. Its due to the 2ndary fule pump......so if anyone has any ideas what i could be hit me back pleez.....

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
jlbfDec-01-02 11:01 AM
Member since Dec 01st 2002
2 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#35300, "RE: Puff of smoke when i shift? IS this normal for turbo cars?"
In response to Reply # 0

What color of smoke?

< john barker[br />< john at 5801 dot com[br />
1995 Turbo GS
Hahns Stage IV
Howell 2.0 8.6:1 ShortBlock

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

fly1Dec-01-02 11:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1470 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#35301, "RE: Puff of smoke when i shift? IS this normal for turbo cars?"
In response to Reply # 1

That's right, the color of the smoke gives you some idea as to what the cause of the smoke is. This has also happened to me. Sometimes when I downshift then go WOT, I noticed a puff of smoke. It seems to be black, but I couldn't tell for sure. This doesn't happen when I accelerate normally though. I'm hoping that it's from running too rich because I still haven't done a compression check. If it's a puff of blue smoke, then your pistons might be going or your head gasket.

"Sometimes, a man has to do what a man has to do."

XXConvictDec-10-02 09:03 AM
36 posts,
#35302, "RE: Puff of smoke when i shift? IS this normal for turbo cars?"
In response to Reply # 2

I was also told that my turbo might be going out...true?
I asked a few of my friends who were driving behind me if it smoked, they didnt notice. I think it was just cuz it was cold that it looked like smoke....Girls dont know about car shit, i should of known!

Dave_FLDec-10-02 10:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3317 posts,
#35303, "RE: Puff of smoke when i shift? IS this normal for turbo cars?"
In response to Reply # 3

You have a 25g turbo and you dont know what colors of smoke mean?

black smoke...running rich
blue smoke....oil
white smoke...water/coolant

My car blowns a ton of smoke evrytime I floor it because i am running super rich because of the shitty HRC fpr.

Dave
05 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4

XXConvictDec-11-02 08:51 AM
36 posts,
#35304, "RE: Puff of smoke when i shift? IS this normal for turbo cars?"
In response to Reply # 4

>You have a 25g turbo and you dont know what colors of smoke
>mean?
>
>black smoke...running rich
>blue smoke....oil
>white smoke...water/coolant
>
>My car blowns a ton of smoke evrytime I floor it because i
>am running super rich because of the shitty HRC fpr.

I know what the colors of smoke mean. I just wasnt sure with this turbo, cuz its huge and it is a little different then the 16 or 20g. I'm pretty sure its nothing cuz i hardly run at 30psi and the turbo as well as the engine is only about 5000 miles old....thanx tho

widebodiedDec-10-02 10:02 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2257 posts,
#35305, "RE: Puff of smoke when i shift? IS this normal for turbo cars?"
In response to Reply # 3

>I was also told that my turbo might be going out...true?
>I asked a few of my friends who were driving behind me if it
>smoked, they didnt notice. I think it was just cuz it was
>cold that it looked like smoke....Girls dont know about car
>shit, i should of known!

most turbo cars blow black smoke out between shifts, or right at hitting full boost...... i hear thats its carbon build up within the exhaust side compressor and piping......... exspescially if you have a catal. i wouldnt worry as long as it black, could be rich.....maybe.. and BTW what are you running a 25g on.....??

HRC SUPER 16G FOR SALE BRAND NEW,, 800 USD
Dwayne H
A.K.A D-low
"PAID THE COST TO BE THE BOSS"

Fully built motor,Hrc stage 3, 19 inch rollers, Big Brakes, Targa top conversion, custom hood,supra taillights, trd wing with cf, kaminari widebody kit, air ride, autometer guages and all of Apexi Sacf, avc-r, rev/speed meter. interior fully glassed, tenzo r seats, pics soon to come!

Originally posted by DSMRoadster
yeah, those of us who are immune to the "2gnt" curse. Curse is a joke, if you have it, it's cuz you have no clue how to play the game.

DISCLAIMER: Some of what I say may upset you, make you cry, or even make you consider suicide. I am not responsible for how your sensitive punk ass decides to take it

The official 2GNT EGO Wrecker

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-10-02 10:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#35306, "RE: Puff of smoke when i shift? IS this normal for turbo cars?"
In response to Reply # 6

Normal. Under really high fuel pressures, the return system can't dump the pressure back to the tank quick enough to match the airflow decrease between shifts, so it'll "burp" a little black every time you shift under boost.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Jasvb TS2K2Dec-10-02 03:08 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2002
1419 posts,
#35307, "RE: Puff of smoke when i shift? IS this normal for turbo cars?"
In response to Reply # 7

What about popping sounds when you rev in a gear while driving and let off the gas and just cruise? VERY VERY RICH?

http://www.cardomain.com/id/jasvbts2k2

weasle745: and then to top it off, im not even an attractive guy. I look like Millhouse from the Simpsons, cant put on weight if my life depended on it, etc

HiOnPSIDec-10-02 04:42 PM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
2745 posts,
#35308, "RE: Puff of smoke when i shift? IS this normal for turbo cars?"
In response to Reply # 8

Yeah, or misfire. I go through spark plugs every 2 months, just the other day my car started misfiring and backfiring when i shifted, so i decided it was time to clean out the spark plug wells and get some new ones.

My girlfriend was following me home from school a few days ago and was extremely pissed, she said i downshifted and shot a 3 foot flame out of my exhaust, and was like "IF YOU EVER DO THAT AGAIN I SWEAR ILL KICK YOUR ASS". i just laughed. it was funny, and everyone thought it was cool. I should have left the old ones in, just for some cool backfire shit.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

14.21@101mph 10/4/02

MODS: 8.8:1 JE Pistons / Eagle rods / Stage 1 Hahn turbocharger / Melling Oil Pump / Autometer 5" tach / 4 JL 12" W0 subwoofers / Clarion 230w amp / short shifter mod / GReddy EVO exhaust / custom 2 1/2" downpipe / no cat con / CM Stage 1 / 30lb Mustang injectors / TurboXS MBC / 1G SMIC / Eibach Sportline springs / KYB GR-2 struts / GReddy 52mm EGT / A'PEXi Super AFC

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS | 2001 Lexus IS300
12.671 @ 111.660 1.586 60' 5/28/04

www.haiokuracing.com

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #35299 Previous topic | Next topic