Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #31978
View in threaded mode

Subject: "...weekend update?" Previous topic | Next topic
Teamner947Sep-30-02 12:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31978, "...weekend update?"

alright, i did a bunch of things to my car this weekend and i have a few questions. first of all i discovered that my friend and i never hooked the stock bov that comes with the hahn correctly...the vacuum hose wasn't vacuuming. we put it to a "t" connector that was already there near the map sensor (we saw that the hose went to the 3 way splitter at the back of the intake man1fold) and figured it would work. (in hrc's picture, it showed the middle port in the stock 3 way splitter wasn't to be used) well, once i hooked up my rfl bov, it wasn't making any noise at all so i was like "wtf?" and checked everything. i disconnected the bov with the car running, and found that the vacuum hose wasn't vacuuming. so, i took off the middle port's rubber block and hooked the vacuum hose up to there, worked great. it was amazing!

i also got my egt gauge finally working correctly. during long 4th gear pulls it gets *really* close to 1600 degrees, and i've heard from enough people on the fourms that 1600 is as high as you ever want to go that i believe it.

i found a boost leak...the valve cover breather thing dripped some oil into my filter (yeah yeah, i know i need a catch can) and a little got blown through the turbo and spit out onto my valve cover making a little smoke. smelling it, i pulled over and figured out where it came from...i pulled off my intake piping and re-mounted it with new clampy thingies, sprayed the connections down with a little bit of soapy water and didn't see any more boost leaks.

anyways, my questions are:
1) since my 3kgt bov was never really hooked up correctly, is there any chance of there being any damage to my turbo? (i've been running ~5psi for about a month and a half now)
2) what do other stage 1 guys see for egt's on long pulls?
3) i know the trick of using the PVC pipe for testing boost leaks, and i have yet to do this. are there any special ways to build a leak tester? what type of air compressor should i use?

sorry for the long post. i'm done now.

oh yeah, i updated my sig too. the image is probably broken, but whatever.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Teamner947Oct-01-02 03:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31979, "RE: ...weekend update?"
In response to Reply # 0

bump?

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

vegasdsmrOct-01-02 01:58 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#31980, "RE: ...weekend update?"
In response to Reply # 1

that 4 banger, 360 cubic inches is sum shiot!!

anyways
1) since my 3kgt bov was never really hooked up correctly, is there any chance of there being any damage to my turbo? (i've been running ~5psi for about a month and a half now)
2) what do other stage 1 guys see for egt's on long pulls?
3) i know the trick of using the PVC pipe for testing boost leaks, and i have yet to do this. are there any special ways to build a leak tester? what type of air compressor should i use?

im not turbo, but maybe i can help a lil.....turboed 2gntzzz will be able to help u more thoroughly

1) the only thing that woudda gone wrong since yoru bov wasnt hookd up was compressor surge (air flying back towards your compressor, not into the intake mani)

2) dunno, but u dun wanna go over 1600, 4sho... when im turbo, im not goin over 1500, imo... id rather be safe....

3) hook up pvc, and jerryrig it to your intake piping.... just like it is, use a coupler... epoxy a small deal from a tire (rubber tire, like an innertube) right onto the pvc...

basically, hook up a cuple feet of pvc, a cap that u can seal onto it, and cut a hole in the cap, jam the male part (the deal wher u put te air hose up to) (cut it out from a bike tire (less than 5 bux at walmart) and epoxy dat shiot into that hole... make sure it can seal well.... hook up a gas station, or an air compressor,. affix your pvc madness to your intake pipin, and throw 20psi in dat beeyatch... unless your runnin more psi, u dun need to check for more than that, imo... proly just blow sum shiot and have to fux sumthin that wudnt break..

good luck, hope u can understand my ramblin.... and i never made one, just my idea of what i will make once im searchin for boost leaks...

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #31978 Previous topic | Next topic