Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #85929
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Drove for the first time on new motor, and lets just say: WTF!?" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic
eclipse982nrRSTMay-12-05 03:40 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#85929, "Drove for the first time on new motor, and lets just say: WTF!?"

Welp, here is a sum-up of went down this evening...
Got home from work, wired up the AFC and idled tuned it. I leaned it down first at 26% percent but then when i rev'd it, it wanted to stall cuz it was too lean. So i adjusted it back up to 13% down and it ran great, my vac was reading 18-19 which was pretty good. The white smoke and black smoke is gone now as well. Well now comes to the drive. I dont know if its my clutch or what cuz ive driven on a brand new clutch, but it let out real real far and was soooooo easy to stall, lol (spec stage 3). but anyway, i had to rev it pretty high around 2k just to get going, and then here is the weird thing...
when i would shift into 2nd, it kept wanting to stall, and actually it did stall about 10 times to the way to shop when i shifted into second, like it was getting gas or something...? i couldnt shift into 3rd cuz it was immediately stall out and it actually immediately did when i went into 2nd like 3-4 times. i dont know what is going on. I had a CEL and i thought it might just be from removing the EGR but i didnt check it cuz i forgot after i got to shop. could it maybe be my TPS or something, i dont know what to check for here. anyone shed some light to me on what to do with it when i get it back or anything? and also, i dont know if this means anything or not, but i dont have any type of filter in my ML, just a piece of tape over the hole to stop it from leaking vacuum?? but like i said, its the first time i drove it since the rebuild and not to mention, when i was going hills in 2nd, not applying any throttle, it was like puddering down the whole hill.....
any suggestions here?
my oil pressure was good too i might add
although i didnt even look at my fuel pressure gauge the whole way, duh, but the idle pressure is set at 20psi if it matters.
thanx guys

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
GSGoinFastMay-12-05 03:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#85930, "RE: Drove for the first time on new motor, and lets just say: WTF!?"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST and also, i dont know if this means anything or not, but i dont have any type of filter in my ML, just a piece of tape over the hole to stop it from leaking vacuum??

I think that would be the first thing to check. the filter isnt air proof, its a filter. put a filter in there or try running without a filter.

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

2.4 Project is Officially underway

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

djtrickeeMay-12-05 04:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#85936, "RE: Drove for the first time on new motor, and lets just say: WTF!?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by GSGoinFast
Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST and also, i dont know if this means anything or not, but i dont have any type of filter in my ML, just a piece of tape over the hole to stop it from leaking vacuum??
I think that would be the first thing to check. the filter isnt air proof, its a filter. put a filter in there or try running without a filter.

Good guess, but that wouldnt have anything to do with it, in a non boost condition.

Im going to go out on a limb here and say: user error.

Probably needs some serious tuning. Either you have the safc hooked up wrong, the settings wrong, or just plain not tuned right at all.

Is this motor broken in? or are you just putzing around without breaking it in?

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

GSGoinFastMay-12-05 04:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#85938, "RE: Drove for the first time on new motor, and lets just say: WTF!?"
In response to Reply # 2
May-12-05 04:33 PM by GSGoinFast

Originally posted by djtrickee
Good guess, but that wouldnt have anything to do with it, in a non boost condition. Im going to go out on a limb here and say: user error. Probably needs some serious tuning. Either you have the safc hooked up wrong, the settings wrong, or just plain not tuned right at all. Is this motor broken in? or are you just putzing around without breaking it in?

well my missing link was defective and made my car die, and this was before i was boosted. wasnt a filter problem but that seemed odd... try taking the ML off and dont hit boost?

a question i have is how does the car die if it is engaged in third gear? wouldnt your car's momentum keep the engine running?

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

2.4 Project is Officially underway

djtrickeeMay-12-05 05:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#85943, "RE: Drove for the first time on new motor, and lets just say: WTF!?"
In response to Reply # 3
May-12-05 05:09 PM by djtrickee

well my missing link was defective and made my car die, and this was before i was boosted. wasnt a filter problem but that seemed odd... try taking the ML off and dont hit boost? a question i have is how does the car die if it is engaged in third gear? wouldnt your car's momentum keep the engine running?

Good call, but he shouldnt even be boosting yet at all.

If i could tell the future i would predict this... engine go bye-bye!

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

grainMay-12-05 06:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#85945, "RE: Drove for the first time on new motor, and lets just say: WTF!?"
In response to Reply # 4

pftt, i had 2 miles on my engine, and i brought it into boost. i dont see a problem with user error here. i say you prolly have an iac problem, where you just off the gas, and then the car tryes to goto idle, and dies. but im tited,and i cant thinkgood.

TeamXtremeRSMay-12-05 06:40 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#85946, "RE: Drove for the first time on new motor, and lets just say: WTF!?"
In response to Reply # 5
May-12-05 07:04 PM by XtremeRS

I don't get why so many people have this myth about if you boost a new motor its going to blow up or something..Let's put it this way, I boosted my motor to 11 psi or so, at about 150 miles. At that time, i had 195 psi of compression accross the board, dead even. Now at 30k miles later, I have about 185 psi on all 4. If the motor was machined correctly,and assembled correctly, then by all means drive the damn thing, and dont drive it like a grand ma either. You NEED to load up new rings to help them seal proplery right away. Giving it a little boost will help this process. I boosted a few psi right after i did the initial start up and drove it down my street! People need to stop freaking out about new motor breakin, and just drive them. You wont blow it up. Dont be gentle, and also dont drive it like you stole it either.

You have to realize that the most critical time for piston ring-to cylinder wall breakin, is within the first 20-30 minutes after initial startup! The *best* way to properly breakin a motor is to first start it up, and during warmup, check for any leaks,and get all the air out of the cooling system. Once this is done(about 15 minutes), immeadiately take the car out and do 10-15 pulls, going in 3rd gear(2nd for auto's), going 30-60mph pulls. Once at 60,let it slow down to 30 with engine braking(using NO brake pedal), as engine braking helps put a good load on the motor. It is within this time that the rings do MOST of the breakin on the cylinder walls. This is why it is very important to load the rings up as soon as possible after initial startup. If you just baby it around for 1500 miles, then the motor will probably not have as much compression as it could have, if the right procedures were followed. It really doesnt take long for the rings to bite into the *rough* freshly honed cylinder walls. You want to force the rings into the cylinder walls as soon as possible, and as much as possible, for best ring breakin.

A lot of people dont realize either, that rings just dont seal by their normal tension. When the piston is traveling upward compressing the A/F mixture, the compressing mixture gets BEHIND the rings, and forces them to the outside, eg the cylinder wall. When you put more load on the motor, it puts more outward force on the rings.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

eclipse982nrRSTMay-13-05 02:53 AM
6314 posts,
#85952, "RE: Drove for the first time on new motor, and lets just say: WTF!?"
In response to Reply # 3

everything is wired right with the s-afc. all i did with the afc was lean out the idle. i didnt touch any other setting yet. for gs's question about when going into 3rd gear, thinking the car would have enough momentum to keep going and stall out, i dont know, i figured the same thing. when shifting into 2nd, i had to give it a ton of gas just to keep it going. maybe the TPS or IAC is bad, or maybe even my MAP sensor or ML, lol? I dont know what to do or try here. I wasnt babying it really at all. When i first got out of my driveway i drove in first up to 4k so it wasnt like i was shifting in like 2k and im sure i put a decent load on the motor driving in 2nd the whole there for about 15 minutes going about 35-40 and using no brakes really. any suggestions on what to do when i get it back or anything? or why it was puttering so bad going down hills? thanks guys.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

eclipse982nrRSTMay-13-05 03:00 AM
6314 posts,
#85954, "RE: Drove for the first time on new motor, and lets just say: WTF!?"
In response to Reply # 2

Im going to go out on a limb here and say: user error. Probably needs some serious tuning. Either you have the safc hooked up wrong, the settings wrong, or just plain not tuned right at all. Is this motor broken in? or are you just putzing around without breaking it in?

like i said, first time i driven it, no the motor isnt broken in yet. and no i wasnt babying it or putzing it. here is how my afc is hooked up:
Go to the etc menu (#3)
14. Set the sensor type to Pressure at 7 in and 7 out.
15. Set the Car Select to 4 cylinder and throttle arrow up and to the right.
16. Set the graph scale to 760mmHg, 7000 RPM, and +-30% (max)

directly from the home page
and then i just leaned out the idle to -13% so the idle wasnt running super ass rich.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

eclipse7782May-13-05 03:37 AM
Member since Dec 14th 2004
215 posts,
#85956, "RE: Drove for the first time on new motor, and lets just say: WTF!?"
In response to Reply # 2

Good guess, but that wouldnt have anything to do with it, in a non boost condition. Im going to go out on a limb here and say: user error. Probably needs some serious tuning. Either you have the safc hooked up wrong, the settings wrong, or just plain not tuned right at all. Is this motor broken in? or are you just putzing around without breaking it in?

Wrong the missing link needs to breathe, it is to restricted right now with the tape over it. I had this same problem my car would not even want to stay running at idle, remove the peice of tape that covers the hole and cut a cigarette filter to fit in there nice and snug. You will notice the pressure difference on your safc with the tape on and then with it removed.

eclipse982nrRSTMay-13-05 03:39 AM
6314 posts,
#85957, "RE: Drove for the first time on new motor, and lets just say: WTF!?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by eclipse7782
Wrong the missing link needs to breathe, it is to restricted right now with the tape over it. I had this same problem my car would not even want to stay running at idle, remove the peice of tape that covers the hole and cut a cigarette filter to fit in there nice and snug. You will notice the pressure difference on your safc with the tape on and then with it removed.

so then maybe this is my problem?

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #85929 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic