Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 6 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #82997
View in threaded mode

Subject: "I realized something... and got an idea - custom turbo kit" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Previous topic | Next topic
GSGoinFastFeb-21-05 07:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#82997, "I realized something... and got an idea - custom turbo kit"

ok so i was sitting in auto class today talking to a guy who just got a GS-T and i realized something... i know how to weld... i also have my old exhaust manifold... things started clicking and heres my idea

to start with im poor so i cant buy a kit. but im thinking i can cut the flange off the old exhaust manifold, port the openings a little bit with a dremel, and then make a custom exhaust manifold. i have a mig welder and oxy welder at my disposal. i was thinking of making one like Lickscissor's manifold.

i also have a limitless supply of sheets of steel i can use, which im thinking of matching up with the turbo to make the flange for the manifold to turbo connection with the needed bolts(tell me if that wont work for some reason)

i was thinking of first junk yard hopping looking for a 14b, but if i cant find one then buying one on ebay, and changing the actuator spring. also buying a 1st gen 02 housing to use to match up the flanges to a downpipe that i will make. then buy some piping to make some intercooler pipes for the GS-T smic i can use cuz a friends bro doesnt need it anymore, and using his 1st gen bov.

ok now im thinking all thats left is oil lines, with proper fittings, vaccume lines, missing link, and of course a s-fmu(will that come with the needed fuel lines or not?). oh yeah and a boost gauge and mbc.

im not sure if im missing something big but this seems like it will be pretty cheap, and i think im fully capable of doing that custom work. tell me what you guys think.. i started searching but there were a lot of results that werent too on target and i was too giddy to keep searching lol.

my estimates on pricing right now look like it will be in the range of $500-$600... i can definately afford that... you guys think thats do-able? im excited now!! lol

thanks for the help, sorry its so long

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

2.4 Project is Officially underway

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-21-05 07:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#82998, "RE: I realized something... and got an idea - custom turbo kit"
In response to Reply # 0

A 14b will bolt up to a stock manifold

Good luck making a DP clear the AC, though.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

GSGoinFastFeb-21-05 08:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#82999, "RE: I realized something... and got an idea - custom turbo kit"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DarkOne
A 14b will bolt up to a stock manifold Good luck making a DP clear the AC, though.

gonna sound retarded but which stock manifold are you talking about? our stock one? how so? im going to have to go down in my basement and look at it. ill see about the ac, maybe that will just have to be removed sorry im really excited now, i can finally have boost! im gonna try and start working on that tomarrow, i realized i probably have enough money to do the job now.

one question, what would i use for vaccume lines and where would i get it? rubber hozing from auto zone? thanks so much

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-21-05 08:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#83000, "RE: I realized something... and got an idea - custom turbo kit"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by GSGoinFast
our stock one? how so?

one question, what would i use for vaccume lines and where would i get it? rubber hozing from auto zone? thanks so much

Yes, our stock one. The two bolts on our manifold are spaced the same as two cattycorner bolts on a 14B turbo flange. You only use two bolts, but it will bolt on.....

Rubber vacuum line from autozone is exactly what you'd use for vacuum line, yeah.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

GSGoinFastFeb-21-05 11:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#83006, "RE: I realized something... and got an idea - custom turbo kit"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by GSGoinFast our stock one? how so? one question, what would i use for vaccume lines and where would i get it? rubber hozing from auto zone? thanks so much
Yes, our stock one. The two bolts on our manifold are spaced the same as two cattycorner bolts on a 14B turbo flange. You only use two bolts, but it will bolt on..... Rubber vacuum line from autozone is exactly what you'd use for vacuum line, yeah.

is there even enough room for that? it seems like it would be too far to the left... which would make sense as to why you said good luck getting past the ac with the down pipe... hell i dont know. is there anyone actually running it like that?

Dark one - "Rubber vacuum line from autozone is exactly what you'd use for vacuum line, yeah."

well putting it like that made me feel stupid lol.

do you think i would be better off cutting the stock flange off the stock manifold, or tracing it out on a steel sheet(about 1/2" thinck) and making a whole new flange? i dont think this manifold will cost me anything, i just got a new cat back cuz the old one was a custom made one and sucked, so i could just clean the piping out and use that piping to make the manifold. this is gonna be a fun project.

now its time to find out where the junk yards are lol

any other comments or suggestions are welcome

thanks

-Chris

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

BumpinTalonFeb-21-05 12:44 PM
Member since Mar 23rd 2004
2381 posts,
#83010, "RE: I realized something... and got an idea - custom turbo kit"
In response to Reply # 4

since when does a 14B fit onto our stock manifold? haha hell I should try that. I don't have an AC to have to clear.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-21-05 01:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#83013, "RE: I realized something... and got an idea - custom turbo kit"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by BumpinTalon
since when does a 14B fit onto our stock manifold? haha hell I should try that. I don't have an AC to have to clear.

You may have to wallow out two of the holes on the 14B flange, but i promise it'll fit .. i've seen it done. WheatKing (from ASOG) did that a LOOOOOOONG time ago on his Sebring. Positioning wasn't optimal, and he complained that the manifold was very, very directional which lead to very rapid and almost violent spooling charateristics.. but it fit. With two bolts. Do it.

Why am i the only person that remembers these things?

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

ModeratormicyekFeb-21-05 01:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#83016, "RE: I realized something... and got an idea - custom turbo kit"
In response to Reply # 6

Why am i the only person that remembers these things?

Some ppls hard drives are bigger than others...I for example run on RAM and and floppy disk.

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

alain95i4Feb-21-05 01:40 PM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
794 posts,
#83017, "RE: I realized something... and got an idea - custom turbo kit"
In response to Reply # 6

WheatKing (from ASOG) did that a LOOOOOOONG time ago on his Sebring. Positioning wasn't optimal, and he complained that the manifold was very, very directional which lead to very rapid and almost violent spooling charateristics.. but it fit. With two bolts. Do it. Why am i the only person that remembers these things?

I do

I also remember a very violent joy ride in his car when he floored the pedal

Alain

one of the 2.4 true pionners

GSGoinFastFeb-21-05 03:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#83021, "RE: I realized something... and got an idea - custom turbo kit"
In response to Reply # 8
Feb-21-05 03:29 PM by GSGoinFast

so i decided that im gonna do a practice one with a steel flange first. if it turns out half way decent ill use it. so im gonna go trace the flange of my exhaust manifold on a piece of paper, and then trace it onto some steel at school and cut it out. then im thinking after i get all the piping on the manifold worked out, ill go buy a 1st gen turbo gasket, and use that to make the flange. and then weld that bitch on there.

i still have a couple questions, but im gonna go search first then if i cant find an answer ill come back. thanks for the help so far. im excited lol

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

Boossted420a2gFeb-21-05 05:18 PM
Member since Oct 13th 2004
93 posts,
#83025, "RE: I realized something... and got an idea - custom turbo kit"
In response to Reply # 9

Does anyone have any pics of bolting the 14b right on to the stock exhaust mani? that is insane!

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #82997 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Previous topic | Next topic