Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #107768
View in threaded mode

Subject: "My turbo project 1 year along the build...." 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Previous topic | Next topic
CyexmasterApr-08-10 01:04 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
324 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#107768, "My turbo project 1 year along the build...."

First off I want to thank all of the members here for being part of this great community. And specially to those that helped me out when I needed parts or advise. I could not have gotten this far with out all the knowledge here.

The car is a 98 Eclipse GS it's green, in good shape. 150+ K on it before the build...

I already had it boosting on stock internals for about a year when the bolts that hold the throttle plate decided to take a ride! Actually it was my fault becuase when I put the bolts on I forgot to locktite them and a few months later the came off..

For some reason I drove my car home like that in forth gear shutting it off once once it boosted and then starting it again a few times till I got to my house... I was kinda near... But still, I wa sure those small bolts where either on the cylinders or the turbo if the went thru the cylinders. So I had to open up the engine after removing the head and looking at perfect cylinders y took off the intake mani to find the bolts on the intake ports of the head. Long story short then and there I decided to build my engine before I put it back. Will be a year now when April ends but I am almost done.

Now for the pics...:hellyeah:

This was the engine removal in search for the bolts...

Pistons and rods: don't looki to bad after a year of boost 10-15 sometimes more (that time when the vacuum line on the WG popped off and I did not notice the overboost, but the car was pulling like crazy!..lol )

One the bolts that went to the ports...

This was the engine bay before all that incident....:ohdamn:

Now for the upgrades and nice parts I got while the project develops...

Some paint on the interior I forgot to to pics of them installed sorry..

Forged pistons and rods... JE 8.8:1 Comp 88mm ( 0.020 OB) and Eagle H Beams.
Yes they are used, I'm am a college student so $$ flow aint that big.. :

Status- Need to do break-in...

Try not to challenge me, I'd rather tie up than lose. Either way you NEVER WIN.... - Me..

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
CyexmasterApr-08-10 01:06 PM
324 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#107769, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 0

And here I gave some love and fresh paint to old parts to make them look nice'er.

The turbo was rebuild with al new seals and bearings....

ECU and the engine side mounts got painted.

Some alt/PS/AC brackets , and other stuff. Cross member I had to redo and came out much better... but don't have pics of that...

Now for the goodies....

BC Ti retainers and springs

OBX adjustable cam gears, I changed the bolts for grade 8 ones just to be safe..:sneaky:

I got GSX brakes and SS braided lines, painted them but might change the color after... Don't know if I should do the entire suspension in a goldish-bronze color or leave it black or maybe silver....

95 Neon OEM flywheel , ACT 6 puck solid clutch, Clutch Net PP, also got the longer neon bolts for the fly and new bolt for the PP.

ARP head bolts.. and new lower control arms, old one's where busted.

Try not to challenge me, I'd rather tie up than lose. Either way you NEVER WIN.... - Me..

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

CyexmasterApr-08-10 01:07 PM
324 posts,
#107770, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 1

Here are the turbo and custom tubular manifold (before wraping it)

Heres my huge intercooler with in/out in the same side (BTW that's not me holding it it's a buddy of mine..)

Turbo wrapped and then coated with silicone.

Mega squirt ECU Board 3 MS 2 , Shift light, table switch, launch control and boost control already done to it....:sneaky:

Here's shot of the chamber on the head after I did a lil nad polish on it to help out in the combustion.. :

Here's my new 50mm Tial knock off BOV and my 60mm MP throttle body (without the bolts that like to hang around my engine...lol)

420agreenvilleSCApr-08-10 01:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#107771, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 2

god this setup and parts is sex. take care of my pistons/rods, they still look good. good luck. love the color selections. have patience w/ the build and you'll be rockn it for a lonnggg time.

If possible, try coating with extreme temp paint (or wrapping like me) your turbo hotside. that thing gets HOT and creates alot of underhood temps.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

CyexmasterApr-08-10 08:39 PM
324 posts,
#107773, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 3

I'm going to get those nice looking turbo blankets so I can use it when I get another turbo.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-08-10 08:51 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#107776, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 4

Very very nice.

Ebster1085Apr-08-10 08:54 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#107777, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 4

Looking good man. Lots of quality parts and I like the extra work you did on the "little things" with the fresh paint, ceramic coating, etc.

Keep us posted, and good luck on the rest of the build.

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

Babbz413Apr-09-10 02:07 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
#107778, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Cyexmaster
Pistons and rods: don't looki to bad after a year of boost 10-15 sometimes more (that time when the vacuum line on the WG popped off and I did not notice the overboost, but the car was pulling like crazy!..lol )

Are you saying you were pushing 10-15 lbs on those stock rods and pistons?! If so, you my friend are lucky to not blow anything...

Blew my ring landings last year on 7 lbs after 2 years on stock internals.

95 GS Boosted

AdministratorCODE4Apr-09-10 04:42 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#107779, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 1

I like you detail and parts selection so far. Have fun with that unsprung hub. Took me a bit to learn how to drive my twin disc on the street.

Triple check your work, have patience, and you will have a durable powerplant.

---

2012 2500HD LML

CyexmasterApr-09-10 05:12 PM
324 posts,
#107780, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 7

I did run regularly at 10-12psi (my MBC was moody...lol ) and then there was the first time I ran the car after putting on the turbo, the MBC was not installed properly and I when thru 1st gear till 15psi and took my foot of the gas...lol

Then there was a night I went racing and did like 8 passes and the car was pulling like crazy! it would spin the tires all the way to 3rd gear... And I was telling my friend that and how I could not believe it.
So I raced one more time with a GST we where bumper to bumper all the way to 3rd gear and he blew up a coupler from his intercooler...

So after that I pulled my car and popped the hood to let it cool a bit and I noticed that the vacuum line fitting on the top port of my WG was missing. It actually popped it out and made a dent the hood.. so I was over boosting for a while and I didnt even notice how much I was overboosting

mitsu95023Apr-09-10 08:09 PM
Member since Mar 23rd 2009
36 posts,
#107781, "RE: My turbo project 1 year along the build...."
In response to Reply # 9

looking good, nice turbo manifold.... What brake line kit did you go with?

'95 rs turbo project
'97 gs parts car
'01 Audi s4 DD
'80 porsche 911 993 widebody, 3.6ltr

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #107768 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Previous topic | Next topic