Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #88540
View in threaded mode

Subject: "heat properties of carbonfiber" Previous topic | Next topic
cartuners00Aug-31-05 04:16 AM
Member since Nov 10th 2003
83 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#88540, "heat properties of carbonfiber"

well... my stock hood is starting the spider crack affect all along where my turbo sits. so, im thinking about getting the vis invader cf hood, but i would like to know what the heat properties are in carbonfiber. will it withstand and not spider crack like my stock hood? or will the carbon fiber be fine but the clearcoat will crack? hopefully ill have some really good heatshields before i get a new hood. i just dont wanna buy a new one and have it crack like my stocker! tia

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
CarbonFiberRSTAug-31-05 06:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#88544, "RE: heat properties of carbonfiber"
In response to Reply # 0

My VIS invader hood got cracks in the clear and in the supports under the hood from my turbo. Also, I've seen other people's cf hoods get discolored from the heat. However after I put a home made head sheild over the turbo and wraped the exhaust housing and downpipe the cracks didn't get any worse as far as I could tell.

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AggressionAug-31-05 02:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#88557, "RE: heat properties of carbonfiber"
In response to Reply # 1

Yah I have the VIS Invader CF hood and I only have cracks underneath on the skeleton part of the hood. I just recently put a heat sheild over the mani and hotside of the turbo to try and reduce the direct heat. I think my next hood is going to be the VIS Evo because the vents are directly above the turbo where as the Invader's vent is a little before the turbo closer to the bumper. I just think in my own opinion the Evo would be a better hood for venting the heat, but then again in a turential downpour if rain could directly hit the mani then I smell a weld job.

So anyone with the VIS Evo have any issue with this?

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi
- 97 eclipse gs (289whp w/ 276tq)

cartuners00Aug-31-05 03:50 PM
83 posts,
#88565, "RE: heat properties of carbonfiber"
In response to Reply # 2

yeah, i had a very very cheap heat shield that worked ok, made it out of a bike fender but i think next time, ill shell out the 80 something bux and get a half decent one from e-gay. aggression, lemme know if you wanna get rid of your hood. ill gladly take it. did you ever figure out your profec problems?

freddy_00_69Aug-31-05 03:58 PM
Member since Aug 01st 2002
1119 posts,
#88569, "RE: heat properties of carbonfiber"
In response to Reply # 3

My stock carbon fiber hood is all messed up. It has burn marks and cracks in it from my old super 16g turbo. I had the extreme gt and that one looked good and did not have any problems with. I sold that hood, i wish i didnt. Now my cracked stock CF hood is back on. Get the extreme gt, evo, or invader, i think you won't crack anymore from the heat.

99 RS-T
"New bottom end(8.6:1 w/long rods)"
Turbonetics 60-1/Portfueler/etc!!!!!

AggressionSep-01-05 07:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#88582, "RE: heat properties of carbonfiber"
In response to Reply # 3
Sep-01-05 07:52 AM by Aggression

Originally posted by cartuners00
ill shell out the 80 something bux and get a half decent one from e-gay.

I have searched for a really nice heatshield for my S16g but can't find one anywhere...anyone have a link to some I could buy?

Originally posted by cartuners00 aggression, lemme know if you wanna get rid of your hood. ill gladly take it.

I just might!

Originally posted by cartuners00did you ever figure out your profec problems?

Nope, but my friend Matt is going to take off his Halman and let me try it out and see if it is in fact the profec that is the issue here or if its due to the boost leak I just found.

I recently did a boost leak test and found a leak right where my intake pipe couples to my TB. Need to get a 45 elbow coupler. That is the only real place I head and felt a leak from. Well It sounded like there was air coming out the back side of the turbo itself a bit, but when we did the test on Matt's which he has the exact same turbo his did it too, but not as bad as mine.

I think I am just going to order a whole set of those red shiny thick silicon couplers so it matches and cleans up my engine bay a bit more while I am at it...if I didn't show my car I wouldn't bother, but since I do...

So I will let you know if its the profec or the boost leak that is the issue here, and I will also let you know about the hood in a couple days.

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi
- 97 eclipse gs (289whp w/ 276tq)

VOTBLINDUBSep-01-05 12:09 PM
Member since Dec 29th 2003
403 posts,
#88599, "RE: heat properties of carbonfiber"
In response to Reply # 5

thermal wrap owns you

I just wish my car was as fast as it was loud. people tell me i should use my sub to push it, it might go faster.

cartuners00Sep-01-05 04:21 PM
83 posts,
#88609, "RE: heat properties of carbonfiber"
In response to Reply # 6

i woulda figured you sold the profec by now, just sounded like you were way too frustrated with it! the only problem i have now with the profec is trying to get the spool-up(response) faster. dont forget, when you do buy new coupler, a good tip is to spray them with hairspray and tighten them. i havent had boost leaks for a while now, other than having to replace my 90 elbow from the turbo!
ill try to find the link for that ebay heat shield. its for my t04 but im sure you can figure something out to get it to fit. and yes, if you do decide to get ride of your invader hood, i call dibs!!!!

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #88540 Previous topic | Next topic