Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #70722
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Electrical Problem" Previous topic | Next topic
bokchoiApr-14-04 05:21 AM
Member since Jan 29th 2003
412 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70722, "Electrical Problem"

I was wondering if it would be okay to mix a positive wire with the black wire for light-up purposes? (This is in regards of the tq lock-up switch) Because thats the only way I can get power to light it up. I have a three pronge SPFT illuminated switch. It goes "POWER, AC, GROUND." I spliced the black wire already to the Power and AC but was wondering if I could also tap a positive wire to the power also and just ground it for illumination. Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
SPL_EclipseApr-14-04 08:05 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70729, "RE: Electrical Problem"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-14-04 08:07 AM by SPL_Eclipse

"I was wondering if it would be okay to mix a positive wire with the black wire for light-up purposes? (This is in regards of the tq lock-up switch) Because thats the only way I can get power to light it up. I have a three pronge SPFT illuminated switch. It goes "POWER, AC, GROUND." I spliced the black wire already to the Power and AC but was wondering if I could also tap a positive wire to the power also and just ground it for illumination. Thanks."

ok...this is a bit confusing, so im going to simplify:

you are hooking up a switch and wonder how to make it illuminate. is that right?

each prong has a purpose, maybe this will clear it up for you:

POWER: a main power source. could be a constant form the battery, a source that only comes on w/ the igntion, etc. it is where the power will be DRAWN from.

AC: this will be the "output" of the POWER part. when the switch is in the "on" position, a physical connection will be made between the AC and POWER prongs, letting current flow through.

*side note* you can only hook up these two prongs and the switch will be functional. each "end" of the system (the cars main electrical system, where the POWER is connected, and the device you are turning on/off) have thier own grounds, you are already completing the circuit by connecting the positive energy transfer between the two.

GROUND: this is only there in order for the light in the switch to work. as you turn the switch on, the light inside the switch "taps into" the positive power connections, but needs a ground in order to complete the circuit. this wire should be connected to an appropriate ground connection somewhere near the switch. assuming its somewhere near the dash, tapping into the negative wire on the cig. lighter is a great option.

edit: left something out, lol. never touch a ground wire to a positive wire that is hot (e.g., capible of completing a circuit). im not sure what you mean by "black wire", but i assume you mean a ground wire. if you do that, you will just blow a fuse, or cause the wire to melt and risk fire.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

bokchoiApr-14-04 01:35 PM
412 posts,
#70748, "RE: Electrical Problem"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the info man. The black wire is the ground. Lets see if I can clarify this a little more. Theres a connector for the brake switch, consisting of 4 wires which of course includes the ground. My purpose is to switch the torque lock-up ON and OFF by splicing the ground wire into the POWER and the AC. I leave the ground alone. But now that I think about it, it seems almost impossible to illuminate it because I have no ground nor power to run from. This still sounds confusing...apologize for it. But I really want to get this to illuminate so that I will be able to tell for sure whether the switch is on of off.

MCubed45Apr-14-04 05:45 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#70767, "RE: Electrical Problem"
In response to Reply # 2

what's a torque lock up switch? i can help ya out with electrical stuff but i need a better description of what you're trying to accomplish.

-marc

bokchoiApr-14-04 08:51 PM
412 posts,
#70775, "RE: Electrical Problem"
In response to Reply # 3

sweeet...well theres this free mod where you can switch off torque-lock-up:

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=33&topic_id=945&mode=full

By doing this you basically splice the ground wire. But I also want to use a illuminating switch for indication whether the switch is ON or OFF. But by doing this I need to also tap a positive wire. How will I be able to do this? I have a SPST switch...would I need a different kind of switch? Thanks.

SPL_EclipseApr-15-04 07:47 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#70798, "RE: Electrical Problem"
In response to Reply # 4

OHHHHHHHHHHH...i see now. you are making a break in a ground wire.

in that case, i dont think you can make it light up without using an extra relay (im pretty sure the light in the switch will be sensative to polarity changes, so hooking up a positive wire to the GROUND prong would complete the cicuit but probably just destroy the light. not too sure abotu that though...anyone know?!?!)

an easier option might be this: install a small LED next to the switch (like on that comes w/ a car alarm). then attach a positive source to the positive wire of the LED, and splice the LEDs ground connection in with the ground that is activated when the switch is turned on (the one coming from the "AC" prong).

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

redeclipsetApr-15-04 10:42 AM
Member since Aug 30th 2003
398 posts,
#70812, "RE: Electrical Problem"
In response to Reply # 5

I bet it'll work just install the thing backwards. It shouldn't matter which one if positive and what's negative on a light. Plug the ground to power and the lock up wire to ac and the ground prong to constant power. It should work

bokchoiApr-15-04 03:27 PM
412 posts,
#70830, "RE: Electrical Problem"
In response to Reply # 6

Heh I dont know, sounds dangerous, but SPL eclipse gave a good idea so maybe I'll go with his...thanks everyone for helping out.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #70722 Previous topic | Next topic