Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #102323
View in threaded mode

Subject: "raising the back end of your hood" Previous topic | Next topic
amskaterNov-26-07 08:39 AM
Member since Nov 19th 2007
44 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#102323, "raising the back end of your hood"

ive seen cars raise up the back end of there hoods. does this let out the hot air or let more air under the hood? or is it just for looks?

www.myspace.com/dougdesautels

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-26-07 08:45 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#102324, "RE: raising the back end of your hood"
In response to Reply # 0

It allows you to draft air out from under your hood. Some of us here remove the weatherstrip for the same effect.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

amskaterNov-26-07 09:09 AM
44 posts,
#102325, "RE: raising the back end of your hood"
In response to Reply # 1

where do you put the weather strip and how would you raise the hood some washers?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-26-07 09:24 AM
8331 posts,
#102326, "RE: raising the back end of your hood"
In response to Reply # 2

You remove the weatherstrip. pop your hood and look, its the rear weatherstrip right by the cowl. carefully remove the clips.

As far as raising the hood you can use washers. or any type of spare really.

amskaterNov-26-07 12:37 PM
44 posts,
#102327, "RE: raising the back end of your hood"
In response to Reply # 3

are there any disadvantages to taking the weatherstrip off?
and the washers would under the screws for the hood hinge on the body right
http://imageshack.us>

edxmonNov-26-07 01:53 PM
Member since Jul 26th 2005
1006 posts,
#102328, "RE: raising the back end of your hood"
In response to Reply # 4

Stuff that usually would not fall into your engine compartment, now will (Except if you park your car inside some where, or cover it)

For example it will be more likely to get rain water, fallen dry leaves, dust? Thus why its called, weather strip. Aside from that, I can't think of any other drawbacks.

Originally posted by turbo8u
his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

I contributed to the wiki! My Page: edxmon

foggy45Nov-26-07 04:06 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#102329, "RE: raising the back end of your hood"
In response to Reply # 5

i would put the washers on the upper part of the hood hinge.
this way you dont have to worry about the plastic windshield washer piece gettign in the way if you put a bunch of washers there.

also iirc the lower part of the hinge is a stud so you cant put as many washers on there before the nut loses threads.

take ONE bolt out and go to Lowes to get longer bolts and matching washers.

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

TeamDR1665Nov-27-07 04:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#102330, "RE: raising the back end of your hood"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by foggy45
i would put the washers on the upper part of the hood hinge.

Correct. Remove the bolts holding the hood to the bracket on one side (you can just put the hood up like usual, it will stay in place just fine) and slip in a couple washers. This will give you that look of the raised hood at the trailing edge, but you really don't have to do all that.

Removal of the weather strip should be fine. I don't think anyone has taped the strings to the trailing edge of their hood and gone out on the highway to see how the air actually flows afterwards. Most of us presume the hot air will be pulled from the bay, but the base of the windshield is a known high pressure area, suggesting there is a possibility that air will be pushed into the bay with that strip removed. Either way, it's not anything to worry about.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-27-07 05:39 AM
8331 posts,
#102331, "RE: raising the back end of your hood"
In response to Reply # 7

The base of the windshield is a high pressure area but the flow of air through the high pressue area creates a low pressure area under the lip of the hood. This in turn extracts air from under the hood. Same principal as a venturi only air is being drawn in.

Now why doesnt the air just flow from a high pressure arwa of the windshield into the engine bay? Air will take the past of least resistance just like water. Under the hood air is under a high pressure due to heat and the travel speed of the car. Least resistance for the air under the hood is to the rear of the hood where there is a low pressure area.

Terry

twackDec-08-07 12:59 PM
Member since Sep 15th 2007
50 posts,
#102332, "RE: raising the back end of your hood"
In response to Reply # 0

it works but not to huge extents

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #102323 Previous topic | Next topic