Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #64843
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Awesome Blue Illuminated Cigarette Lighter ring! How-To" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
95dsmrsprojJan-10-04 09:04 PM
Member since Oct 25th 2003
375 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#64843, "Awesome Blue Illuminated Cigarette Lighter ring! How-To"
Jan-10-04 09:10 PM by 95dsmrsproj

Hey everyone! I'm psyched about this one....I just finished my lighter ring and it WHOOPS ass! I recommend this to anyone who wants their lighter ring to be bright blue and look good. I will post pics in a day or 2 when I get batteries for my camera...sorry. O.K. here's what I did. I went to NAPA and got a universal illuminated cigarette lighter assembly(under $9.00)...here's a link if you want to get it online(no local NAPA's)
http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=15625496&prmenbr=5806
This assembly comes with a light blue/green ring instead of the more common orange one. I got some info from the blue lED posts I've read...and for this project you will need 1 2600mcd 5mm. Blue LED from Radio Shack(part no. 276-316, $3.99) 1 330 Ohm 1/2 watt resistor(part no. 271-1113, $0.99 pack of 5), a soldering iron(under $8.00), and some thin rosin-core solder($3 or $4) I also used some red heat shrink tube from NAPA and some small flatnose copper alligator clips as heat sinks when soldering.(don't want to burn up $4 over and over)
Well, I took the drivers side panel off of the console, and unplugged the white and black clips, and twisted out the little bulb that plugs into the lighter assembly. Then I unscrewed the big nut off of the assy. and removed it. I then slid the orange plastic piece off and threw it away(the plastic piece.) You will be re-using your existing assembly. First push your tabs back in if they aren't grabbing like they used to. You have to file down the little notch on the outer chromed piece that stck down through the orange plastic piece because the green one doesn't have a slot in it. Then slide the green ring onto the body, place it back in its hole(gentle pressure should pop it back in.) Replace the backing from under the console, and screw the big nut back on. make sure that the backings light socket is facing you. The black clip clips to the tab on the assembly the farthest away from you, and the white one clips onto the very bottom of the assembly. Here's where you have to be creative. The little bulb that sits in the socket that plugs into the bottom of the assembly is white. This doesn't produce a great color with the blueish green ring. I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS PART(do what you will with the LED part) I wanted to keep the socket incase they made a plug-in LED/bulb that size in the future and I could remove the bulb/LED and the resistor and take it back to normal....But this is what I did. I cut the wires coming from the bulb about 3 inches back. I then took the little bulb and socket over to my workbench....and...with the bulb in the socket I busted the bulb so that the bottom was still in the socket ant the prongs of the element were sticking out. I pulled off the very thin copper element between the prongs, and carefully(safety glasses!)crushed(with needle nose pliers) the little white glass bead holding the 2 prongs together.
I cut both of the legs of the LED about 1/4 of an inch away from the head. I then clipped 1 little heat sink to each prong on the led against the head. Then I carefully(this part sucked) soldered the prongs from the bulb to the legs on the LED.(keep the LED/bulb out) I stripped the ends of the wires to the socket and then the ones from the harness where I had cut it. Next, I soldered one side of the resistor to the green wire attached to the light socket.(use heat sink on resistor leg)Then, I slid a piece of shrink tube onto one of the black wires, twisted the black wires back together,soldered them, and heated the shrink tube until I was happy. .....THEN...(BE CAREFUL NOT TO SCREW UP INTERIOR WITH MELTED SOLDER...YOU WILL BE SOLDERING IN THE CAR IN THIS NEXT STEP...COVER THE AREA IN OLD T-SHIRTS OR SOMETHING...JUST IN CASE.) I slid a long piece of heat shrink tube over the green wire from the harness...and had to solder the other end of the resistor to the green wire from the harness.(use heat sink on resistor leg) Then I slid the shrink tube over the resistor and solderd ends and heated it until everything was covered. NOW! THE FUN PART...PAY ATTENTION! Look closely at the LED...See how inside the LED the legs turn into a big flat piece, and a small flat piece? The small flat piece is the side that plugs in where the green wire connects to the socket. WOAH! Look at that awesome glow. I actually set the bulb/LED in the socket lightly and pressed it in at the base with a small pick so I didn't screw up the little prongs I had soldered together. Now! set your new LED/Bulb into the socket, give it a little turn to secure it in there, and turn your headlights on to see the awesome glow!!!(you may need the key to be in the accessory position...but I'm not sure. It looks even better with the lighter out! Put the side of your console back on and you're done. DESPITE WHAT YOU MAY THINK...THIS COMES OUT BLUE...NOT TURQUOISE, GREEN OR BLUE-GREEN...BECAUSE OF THE LED..IT IS BRIGHT BLUE!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
jsupetranJan-10-04 09:08 PM
Member since May 04th 2002
4359 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#64844, "RE: Awesome Blue Illuminated Cigarette Lighter ring! How-To"
In response to Reply # 0

Whoa long writeup. The funny thing is I've seen writeup for sfmu's, and brake swaps a lot shorter that this writeup LOL

-------jezreel
hrc stage 1, sfmu, ml, prokits, egt, boost gauge, apexi tt, costum dp, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler

nothing like driving with the windows down and the music low: i love hearing the turbo spool, swwwhhhttt!!!!
thanks for www.kaptainmyke.com for the sig hosting

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

95dsmrsprojJan-10-04 09:12 PM
375 posts,
#64845, "RE: Awesome Blue Illuminated Cigarette Lighter ring! How-To"
In response to Reply # 1

I like to be thorough... so many people aren't

chrysler kidJan-10-04 09:26 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#64847, "RE: Awesome Blue Illuminated Cigarette Lighter ring! How-To"
In response to Reply # 2

or you could just buy a new bulb

11.65 @ 115

95dsmrsprojJan-10-04 10:05 PM
375 posts,
#64850, "RE: Awesome Blue Illuminated Cigarette Lighter ring! How-To"
In response to Reply # 3

The point was to make it GLOW. The factory illuminated ring(orange) is too dim for my liking.

WickedESiJan-10-04 10:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#64851, "RE: Awesome Blue Illuminated Cigarette Lighter ring! How-To"
In response to Reply # 4

Points for the write up . Get those pics up! I don't wany my cigerater lighter to be the star of my car though (ALL my other interior lights are blue, but I don't want the thing to be super brite).

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

ajcfalconJan-11-04 06:43 AM
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
1104 posts,
#64860, "RE: Awesome Blue Illuminated Cigarette Lighter ring! How-To"
In response to Reply # 5

will you make one for me and ill buy it from you? there are just too many words in that write up for me to pay attention long enough. if not, just post some pics

1998 GS
Mods: Cold air intake, Ported/polished stock intake manifold, AFX 55mm TB, Pacesetter header,
Custom Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system, AFX Underdrive pulley,
B&M short throw shifter(cut/welded), Symborski Shift Kit, Solid front motor mount, Monster ground wire kit.

TeamDR1665Jan-11-04 08:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#64867, "RE: Awesome Blue Illuminated Cigarette Lighter ring! How-To"
In response to Reply # 6

This thread is useless without pics!

95dsmrsprojJan-11-04 12:13 PM
375 posts,
#64893, "RE: Awesome Blue Illuminated Cigarette Lighter ring! How-To"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by DR1665
This thread is useless without pics!

OK..OK...1 hour...I'll go get batteries!

95dsmrsprojJan-11-04 02:06 PM
375 posts,
#64899, "RE: Awesome Blue Illuminated Cigarette Lighter ring! How-To"
In response to Reply # 8

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/440224/5
DR1665...the glow is just like the color in your pic! I took pics of it in the dark, and the bulb assy, but they didn't show up on my camera...it takes shitty pics in the dark...I'll add more pics as soon as I can..Its F'ing cold out there!!

MCubed45Jan-11-04 11:59 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#64932, "RE: Awesome Blue Illuminated Cigarette Lighter ring! How-To"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by chrysler kid
or you could just buy a new bulb

the stock ring is orangish. just changing the bulb don't work too good. i've done it and the blue only shows good if you leave out the part that goes inside the lighter. so yea if you buy a replacement lighter w/ a diff ring it should look a lot better.

-marc

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #64843 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic