Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #474
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Interior coloring" Previous topic | Next topic
CoBen67Dec-23-00 01:20 PM
Old School 2GNTer
94 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#474, "Interior coloring"

Hey all

I want to do my interior with red accents. I already have a Red\Black shift knob and a Red\Black leather steering wheel cover. I want to paint some the interior plastic Red....What would be the best type of paint for this? Also I want to cover the center arm rest in red leather. Is there a kit anyone knows of or would it be best to take it to an upholstry shop to have this done? I seen cars with the Red accents on the doors. This looks professionally done...Is this expensive? I dont wnat to mess with the seats since they are leather. Has anyone taken off the speaker mesh? Is this difficult? Hope someone can help or give me a heads up on problems

Thanks
CoBen

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
9D9 MITSU RSDec-23-00 05:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#475, "RE: Interior coloring"
In response to Reply # 0

Ask some people around the area where to go to. I painted some of the plastic pieces in my car silver. It is pretty close. Just get primer, the color you want and a clear coat. If it isn't the right color you want, get some smooth surface sand paper and some paint remover and have fun. If it isn't glossy, don't worry, just add more clear coat.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

9D9 MITSU RSDec-23-00 05:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#476, "RE: Interior coloring"
In response to Reply # 0

The speaker mesh in the back? Well, I did mine. It's a bitch. The paint tried to clog the holes up. All I did was move my front seats up, got in the back and sat on the back of my backseat with it folded down. You will see some screws on the moldings. Just take out enough screws so you can bend it back to a safe degree and get back behind the speaker to pry it out. This was probably one of the more difficult pices to deal with. Have fun with this and be careful. You might want to get some from a junkyard and paint them so you don't have to worry about breaking them or anything.

Dave16gtDec-23-00 06:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
38 posts,
#477, "RE: Interior coloring"
In response to Reply # 2

I took the whole side panel off when i painted my speakers. Just tkae off all the bolts and then you can take the speaker mesh off easier without worrying about bending it during the removal. As for painting it, I actually spray painted it just to see how it looked first. I know it sounds cheesy, but it actually looked good so i put it back in like that and it has been fine.

9D9 MITSU RSDec-24-00 05:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#478, "RE: Interior coloring"
In response to Reply # 3

Spray paint is what I hear most people talk about using. It works. I sprayed a primer coat really light. It made the paint have a nice flow. Mine came out surprisingly nice. Almost color matched if it isn't. I held it right next to the car and it looked really close. Prime it, then spray until the paint is even, then if u want shine, put on a clear coat or 2.

cyanDec-26-00 06:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#479, "RE: Interior coloring"
In response to Reply # 4

all the parts in my interior are changed except the carpet, so ive bought my share of paint. my advice to you is dont skimp when buying the paint and get the dollar fifty can. when it spiderwebs, spews out of the can, runs, dries slowly, and comes out the wrong color, that extra 2 bucks for the krylon would have been well spent.

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #474 Previous topic | Next topic