Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #95484
View in threaded mode

Subject: "How-To Dye Carpet Using Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric Coating" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
Chad97esJul-08-06 09:31 AM
Member since May 31st 2006
66 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#95484, "How-To Dye Carpet Using Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric Coating"

I just made this for some members On ASEC, and thought you guys might be interested, although an Avenger component is being used, it's generally used throughout.

Many have asked about some methods of dying your carpet, and today I started my trunk which was a perfect example.

1. Clean Surface with Vacumn,etc.

2. Gather Materials

3. Spray first thin coat, let dry 2 minutes, brush lightly with above shown.
4. Repeat Step 3, until desired darkness.

5. Enjoy

Notes: I reccomend to vary the paint streaks, up& down then side-side, and brush lightly thoroughly. Brushing makes it not tacky, true throughout, and not crunchy, but don't do it so hard the dye wipes off. I used about 1/2 of a can just for this piece so darken according to budget. Spray is $5.77 at any Advance Discount Auto, and comes in a variety of colors, for this project I chose "Flat Black", as the trunk carpeting is similar. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJul-08-06 03:56 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#95490, "RE: How-To Dye Carpet Using Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric Coating"
In response to Reply # 0

The questions applicable here are:

When you run your hand down the side of that piece, will your hand turn black?

If you clean it with carpet cleaner, what happens?

Thanks

Terry

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Moderatorcs82685Jul-08-06 04:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#95492, "RE: How-To Dye Carpet Using Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric Coating"
In response to Reply # 1
Jul-08-06 04:28 PM by cs82685

Looks good Chad, I see you went with the flat black too. Let us know how it holds up. I did not brush it like you did and from having my tools and other things in the trunk in some spots it either wore off or the carpet was flattened and now shows parts that the die did not reach but you couldn't see when first sprayed. I am looking forward to doing basically my entire interior at the end of the summer when I have some downtime.

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

Chad97esJul-08-06 07:51 PM
Member since May 31st 2006
66 posts,
#95497, "RE: How-To Dye Carpet Using Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric Coating"
In response to Reply # 1

Terry, before I went into the project, using such product, I grabbed a cheap floor mat I had laying around. After dyed, I wiped it, scratched thoroughly with my nails, etc. My hand was clean as ever! So I took it the next day in my sink and let hot and cold water run over it, along with taking a courser wire brush along it. Water wasn't discolored, nothing on hands once again, and color was not faded where brushed. I'm picking up more dye tomorrow, so more pics may follow throughout the week as at the moment I plan on using it in the trunk, rear panels, rear deck, and "cockpit" carpet. Any more questions are welcome.

R34EclipseJul-08-06 08:07 PM
Member since Oct 01st 2005
706 posts,
#95498, "RE: How-To Dye Carpet Using Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric Coating"
In response to Reply # 3

i dunno about the dying i tried it, didn't hold up, would work for a few months and then eventually work loose i guess. MUCH happier with a molded carpet i picked up from work for $120 w/rear trunk mat, you'll spend that much in dye repairing it all the damn time. No offence if thats what you wanna do but from expierience, it will never look as good as real black, its so much brighter and shiny than the dingy look of sprayed. All you need is a pair of scissors to trim and about an hour of time.

-----------------------------------
97 RS-T, STAR Stage 2, HAHN FMIC, Decah Lambo Doors, 19" Axis Hiros, Built 420a - SOLD
2004 - G35 6MT 20" HREs & Tein Flex

djtrickeeJul-08-06 08:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#95501, "RE: How-To Dye Carpet Using Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric Coating"
In response to Reply # 4
Jul-08-06 08:27 PM by djtrickee

Originally posted by R34Eclipse
i dunno about the dying i tried it, didn't hold up,

I agree with this... It just doesnt seem to hold up over time. And after people get in and out of the car it develops spots and becomes quite obvious that it is dyed and not OEM... After I dyed mine, I quickly went back to stock and then went and ordered an ACC replacement eclipse black carpet set from ACC which was real black carpet molded to the OEM shape. It doesn't get thewear and tear and it doesnt mal-form from the OEM shape. For the $119.00 I am very happy with the end result.

Granted our cars don't have molded carpet panels, I just wouldn't want to waste the time and effort to spray the OEM carpet for irregular results.

Just a friendly suggestion after a couple years of trial and error...
http://www.accmats.com/

EDIT: spelling... heh.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

R34EclipseJul-08-06 08:34 PM
Member since Oct 01st 2005
706 posts,
#95503, "RE: How-To Dye Carpet Using Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric Coating"
In response to Reply # 5

I believe mine is from ACC or ACS, either have great kits. I ordered one for each of my cars, and got one from each co. They both fit fairly decent, a couple issues with fitment but if you know what your doing you can make it look stock with a lil trimming here and there. Nothing compared to the headache of dying your carpet every week. I got to the point when it was time to vacuume i just bought a can and said fuck it and sprayed, the vac would even pull it up and leave lines, and any time a girl got in you could see heel marks. Also it gets a little embarassing having to tell people not to move their feet around or your carpet will change colors

97 RS-T, STAR Stage 2, HAHN FMIC, Decah Lambo Doors, 19" Axis Hiros, Built 420a - SOLD
2004 - G35 6MT 20" HREs & Tein Flex

djtrickeeJul-08-06 08:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#95506, "RE: How-To Dye Carpet Using Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric Coating"
In response to Reply # 6

I believe mine is from ACC or ACS, either have great kits. I ordered one for each of my cars, and got one from each co. They both fit fairly decent, a couple issues with fitment but if you know what your doing you can make it look stock with a lil trimming here and there. Nothing compared to the headache of dying your carpet every week. I got to the point when it was time to vacuume i just bought a can and said fuck it and sprayed, the vac would even pull it up and leave lines, and any time a girl got in you could see heel marks. Also it gets a little embarassing having to tell people not to move their feet around or your carpet will change colors

So true... If anyone you don't know gets in your car... watch out! I had less trouble cutting and slicing the ACC carpet to fit the stock bolts and seat belt mounts than I ever had with the dyeing thing.

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJul-08-06 08:40 PM
8331 posts,
#95508, "RE: How-To Dye Carpet Using Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric Coating"
In response to Reply # 6

HUh, that sucks it didnt last over time. Chad keep us posted with your luck.

Deej and R34, those carpets you got from ACC. How well did they fit. I got one from A1 custom carpets and it was terrible. total waste of 100bones. I see now they sell on egay so that tells you something. I am extremely critical, if it doesnt fit perfect liek stock then i dont want it. Post any thoughts you have. I could use some new carpet.

Terry

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJul-08-06 08:41 PM
8331 posts,
#95509, "RE: How-To Dye Carpet Using Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric Coating"
In response to Reply # 6

Also it gets a little embarassing having to tell people not to move their feet around or your carpet will change colors

hahahaha, how many "gimmie a fucking break" comments did you get?

djtrickeeJul-08-06 09:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#95514, "RE: How-To Dye Carpet Using Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric Coating"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
HUh, that sucks it didnt last over time. Chad keep us posted with your luck. Deej and R34, those carpets you got from ACC. How well did they fit. I got one from A1 custom carpets and it was terrible. total waste of 100bones. I see now they sell on egay so that tells you something. I am extremely critical, if it doesnt fit perfect liek stock then i dont want it. Post any thoughts you have. I could use some new carpet. Terry

That is an interesting comment because I actually bought mine off of ebay after reading many positive comments for ACC here on 2gnt., and noticed that they sold their carpets on ebay. I actually ordered mine off of ebay, but only after reading the reviews here on 2gnt.

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #95484 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic