Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7168
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Is this true about ud pulley" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
blue97tsiawdSep-19-06 05:49 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2006
14 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7168, "Is this true about ud pulley"

I bought 95tsi awd and it already had a full set of underdrive pulleys on it.The guys on dsmtuners say that I should atleast put the stock crank pulley back on since they dont have dampeners and if your just racing thats fine but for ever day driving when you stay at one rpm it will be bad for the engine do to vibration. Is this true?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
420a-TnthewerksSep-19-06 06:46 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7169, "RE: Is this true about ud pulley"
In response to Reply # 0

True, although some people have run them for years with luck.. I personally wouldn't run an undampered UDP. I thought somebody made an UDP that was dampered awhile ago but I don't know if it's still available, and I believe it was pretty pricey.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-19-06 10:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#7170, "RE: Is this true about ud pulley"
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-19-06 10:14 PM by eclipzGST

Buschur had one I believe and yes it was pricey.
I guess it's really up to you whether or not you want to chance it for a pretty minimal power gain. I'll also say that as many times as I've heard they are bad, I've never really heard of someones engine failing from not having a harmonic balancer. Hell, 1/2 the people I know don't have balance shafts...
Don't quote me on any of this though. If I were you, I'd do some more research here as well as other DSM forums. I'm sure the topic has been covered pretty thoroughly.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

CarbonFiberRSTSep-21-06 04:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#7171, "RE: Is this true about ud pulley"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Buschur had one I believe and yes it was pricey. I guess it's really up to you whether or not you want to chance it for a pretty minimal power gain. I'll also say that as many times as I've heard they are bad, I've never really heard of someones engine failing from not having a harmonic balancer. Hell, 1/2 the people I know don't have balance shafts... Don't quote me on any of this though. If I were you, I'd do some more research here as well as other DSM forums. I'm sure the topic has been covered pretty thoroughly.

I've never heard of this concern with the 420a. Everyone raves about the afx up. Why is that?

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

StreetRacer_21Sep-21-06 05:06 PM
Member since Dec 08th 2005
220 posts,
#7172, "RE: Is this true about ud pulley"
In response to Reply # 3
Sep-21-06 05:07 PM by StreetRacer_21

Because we don't have balance shafts

CarbonFiberRSTSep-21-06 05:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#7173, "RE: Is this true about ud pulley"
In response to Reply # 4
Sep-21-06 05:56 PM by CarbonFiberRST

Originally posted by StreetRacer_21
Because we don't have balance shafts

Half the people EclipzGST knows don't have them either.

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

420a-TnthewerksSep-21-06 07:10 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#7174, "RE: Is this true about ud pulley"
In response to Reply # 5

Well there's a few reasons for having a harmonic balancer.. It helps smooth the vibrations on the "free" end of the crank making it easier for the bearings to keep the crank in place. It helps absorb the shock from the engine going under load and unloading. Helps reduce vibrations transferred to the belts and other pulley's. In theory some think running an undampered pulley will cause premature wear on the bearings and cause crankwalk.

StreetRacer_21Sep-22-06 02:44 PM
220 posts,
#7175, "RE: Is this true about ud pulley"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by CarbonFiberRST
Originally posted by StreetRacer_21 Because we don't have balance shafts
Half the people EclipzGST knows don't have them either.

True, but the afx unit is also balanced and not completly aluminum. I have never had any problems with mine, and never heard of any. Turbo cars are a different story though

ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-22-06 04:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#7176, "RE: Is this true about ud pulley"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by StreetRacer_21Turbo cars are a different story though

That's why we're having this discussion. If we were talking about NT cars, it wouldn't be in this forum.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

StreetRacer_21Sep-25-06 03:44 PM
220 posts,
#7177, "RE: Is this true about ud pulley"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by StreetRacer_21Turbo cars are a different story though
That's why we're having this discussion. If we were talking about NT cars, it wouldn't be in this forum.

But he asked a question that related to the non turbo cars... He said why haven't I ever heard of this problem with the 420a, everyone raves about the afx

burntheblobsSep-23-06 07:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#7178, "RE: Is this true about ud pulley"
In response to Reply # 2

Buschur had one I believe and yes it was pricey. I guess it's really up to you whether or not you want to chance it for a pretty minimal power gain. I'll also say that as many times as I've heard they are bad, I've never really heard of someones engine failing from not having a harmonic balancer. Hell, 1/2 the people I know don't have balance shafts... Don't quote me on any of this though. If I were you, I'd do some more research here as well as other DSM forums. I'm sure the topic has been covered pretty thoroughly.

Balance shafts are COMPLETELY different than a harmonic balancer. Balance shafts balance NOTHING. They just counter the vibration made by the engine with it's own vibration so the driver doesn't feel it as much. It has NOTHING to do with engine balance. Harmonic balancers however actually balance the crank.

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - SOLD
2006 Mustang GT Convertible

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7168 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic