Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3672
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Duping MD (or any tight state) inspection w/turbos" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
Vandy420aFeb-25-04 05:05 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3672, "Duping MD (or any tight state) inspection w/turbos"

Theoretically, in MD (or anywhere) you cannot pass inspection with anything in the exhaust modified, right? My question is if, in a coupla years, I wanted to sell my car, would it pass with a 16g turbo on it assuming I took off the obvious stuff, replaced the heatshield and limped it over to the inspection station? Normally i'd say no right away, but it is a mitsu turbo and it isn't gonna have any bling (polished compressor housing, for example).

Can something like DSMchip replace the function of the S-AFC? If the front bumper is cut up for a front mount, if I put a side mount back on temporariliy will the car still fail? I'm just kicking this around to avoid potential headaches down the road (i.e. do I want to sell my T-25, should I wait and get a larger turbo, etc.)

It might just be easier to flow a shady mechanic a couple hundred bucks, but when I sold the GS I ran into more problems from "being stupid like whoah" then I care to repeat.

Vandy

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
HybriDSMFeb-25-04 06:15 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3673, "RE: Duping MD (or any tight state) inspection w/turbos"
In response to Reply # 0

You're from MD? I haven't tried to pass inspection anything but stock, but let's just say the inspection in MD is pretty hard ass.

I'm sure a stock looking turbo would be fine, and maybe even a FMIC. Let me grab my inspection sheet when I get home tonight and see what criteria is on there exactly. You'd be more likely to fail for little miniscule stuff than other more obvious things I think. Md is more converned with factory specs and all IIRC.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Vandy420aFeb-25-04 06:25 AM
2037 posts,
#3674, "RE: Duping MD (or any tight state) inspection w/turbos"
In response to Reply # 1
Feb-25-04 06:26 AM by Vandy420a

yeah last time I went through it they let my 60mm TB pass (on a 2gnt) but gigged me on an aftermarket shift knob. Go figure. I have a sheet somewhere I think, but I was wondering if there was like a manual out there that mechanics use to check things out....

I'm thinking that regardless of how good the mechanic is, "Modified Exhaust components" is way too broad when dealing with turbos. How're they gonna know its an O2 housing off an EVO if its stamped with "mitsu"? I also bet a shined compressor housing on a T-25 would fail.

I guess what i'm really asking is if a book that walks mechanics through specific cars even exists, or if its primarily up to the mechanic. If a book exists, I need to find it and type it up so we can avoid this nonsense with DSM's. Or maybe I should just find a mechanic that's great w/V-8s and knows dick about turbos.

Vandy

P.S. I can almost garuantee an FMIC will fail unless you put on the CARB LEGAL sticker that came with it ---and yeah i'm from MD and am in awe of the skill of the DSM scene here...

Vandy420aFeb-25-04 06:27 AM
2037 posts,
#3675, "RE: Duping MD (or any tight state) inspection w/turbos"
In response to Reply # 1

sorry, what is "IIRC" ?

HybriDSMFeb-25-04 06:33 AM
2407 posts,
#3676, "RE: Duping MD (or any tight state) inspection w/turbos"
In response to Reply # 3

IIRC=If I Recall Correctly.

What are you doing in MD? Or is MD an example state with no connection to you whatsoever? Inquiring minds want to know.

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

Vandy420aFeb-25-04 06:54 AM
2037 posts,
#3677, "RE: Duping MD (or any tight state) inspection w/turbos"
In response to Reply # 4

aha! yeah i'm retarded. I live in MD, but go to school in Nashville I always used to complain in highschool about how crappy maryland is, but after leaving i find myself really wanting to come back. Maybe its nashville, maybe its rosy retrospection, or maybe I just want a driveway and a garage to work with instead of a deserted parking lot, but IMO Nashville sux (minus all the girls 18-22, but you can find that in annapolis pretty easily too...

HybriDSMFeb-25-04 07:00 AM
2407 posts,
#3678, "RE: Duping MD (or any tight state) inspection w/turbos"
In response to Reply # 5

Where in MD. I'm living in Westminster now, and will be near Bethesda, it looks like in the near future.

Vandy420aFeb-25-04 10:07 AM
2037 posts,
#3679, "RE: Duping MD (or any tight state) inspection w/turbos"
In response to Reply # 6

my parents live in Millersville (10 min north of annapolis), so prob with them over the summer---either there or in Annapolis proper with some friends...why the westminster---> bethesda switch?

Vandy

HybriDSMFeb-25-04 10:29 AM
2407 posts,
#3680, "RE: Duping MD (or any tight state) inspection w/turbos"
In response to Reply # 7

Bethesda looks like where I'll be working, and Westminster is where I grew up, and currently live w/ ma and pa. Gotta live closer than two hours to the job now, especially cause I can finally afford an apartment.

superdavesgstFeb-26-04 03:55 PM
Member since Jun 22nd 2002
270 posts,
#3681, "RE: Duping MD (or any tight state) inspection w/turbos"
In response to Reply # 8

i used to do inspections, id always pass cool cars, lol, but if it was crap i fail it ina heartbeat, hell i passed a full race vette onetime, thing runs low 10's. all i can say is try to be nice, thats about the best you could do, if you have alot of mods, but unless he knows what youve got, and what it came with all they'll do is check the basic's.
laters

2004 white mach1
k&n fipk,Meziere w/p,mac headers,o/r prochamber, bassani c/b, ported heads&intake,php 3/8" spacer,accel coils & hardcore wires, comp 106400 cams,03 cobra flywheel&clutch,456gear,FR 31spline axles & center diff. steeda shifter & quad adjuster

2001 svt lightning
magnaflow C/B,4lb lower,accufab t.b.,lfp E fan, FR waterpump,punisher VB,obx headers

Vandy420aFeb-27-04 05:54 AM
2037 posts,
#3682, "RE: Duping MD (or any tight state) inspection w/turbos"
In response to Reply # 9

sweet yeah i'm thinking that right before i go get it inspected i'll clean it up a bit...when you saw the CARB Legal stickers did you look it up?

Vandy

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3672 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic