Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3530
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Ticking noise in the dash" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
thedawgApr-29-04 08:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3530, "Ticking noise in the dash"

IT'S A BOMB! hehe

Anyways I get this ticking noise in my 95 tsi automatic, mostly at idle or in 1st gear, but it matches engine RPM. It goes away when I shift or move the engine by turning or accelerating quickly. Happens most commonly when I've been driving hard and then roll to a slow stop.

Sounds exactly like crank sensor ticking inside the car, but when I get out and listen I can't hear anything ticking. Definitely not lifter tick either.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
TeamJeff_99gsApr-29-04 11:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3531, "RE: Ticking noise in the dash"
In response to Reply # 0

In the dash? Where in the dash? Nothing in the dash can really tick that is rpm dependent. Is it coming from right on the other side of the dash?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-29-04 12:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#3532, "RE: Ticking noise in the dash"
In response to Reply # 1
Apr-29-04 12:30 PM by eclipzGST

mine does that too. It's not REALLY coming from the dash, just sounds that way. Only does it sometimes and can't hear it outside the car. I thinkthe engine drowns it out.
I usually hear it in 1st gear, idle-3K then it goes away but comes back when I decelerate.
Mine's been doing it since I got it and 35K later, still no worse or better.
I wouldn't worry about too much.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Vandy420aApr-29-04 03:10 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#3533, "RE: Ticking noise in the dash"
In response to Reply # 2
Apr-29-04 03:10 PM by Vandy420a

Same....my car hasnt' exploded yet

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

thedawgApr-30-04 05:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#3534, "RE: Ticking noise in the dash"
In response to Reply # 3
Apr-30-04 05:12 AM by thedawg

Thanks guys.

Yeah, it seems to come from deep inside the dash on the driver side, like maybe behind the gauge cluster or steering column right near the firewall. I can hear it fairly loud under the dash. Maybe it's the engine but I really can't hear it outside the passenger compartment. Ah well no worries. It's a DSM.

RemyApr-30-04 06:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#3535, "RE: Ticking noise in the dash"
In response to Reply # 4

Lifter tick ? There is nothing in the dash it self that can make any noise.

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
NT? FWD? And Auto? You might as well just drive that thing right off a cliff.

BigBaldApr-30-04 06:14 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#3536, "RE: Ticking noise in the dash"
In response to Reply # 5

more then likely you have the common problem of injector tick. THat is very rpm dependent. IT is commonly solved be replacing the fuel filter and running injector cleaner through it.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

thedawgApr-30-04 06:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#3537, "RE: Ticking noise in the dash"
In response to Reply # 6

I've had 5 dsm's and 7 engines. I'm really really familiar with what lifter tick is. This isn't it. Lifter tick comes from the lifters, which are under the valve cover, which is not where this noise is coming from (see original question).

How would replacing the fuel filter help the lifters? The lifters never see gasoline at any time in their life.

Vandy420aApr-30-04 06:32 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#3538, "RE: Ticking noise in the dash"
In response to Reply # 7

no he's saying its not lifter tick but rather "injector tick" or something, and changing the fuel filter will help---I have the same problem and i'll be changing the fuel filter in th enext 2 weeks or so with new injectors, reminmd me and I'll PM you or sometjhing if the sound goes away

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-30-04 06:53 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#3539, "RE: Ticking noise in the dash"
In response to Reply # 8

actually, now that you mention it, I don't think I've heard it since I put it the 550's...

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

thedawgApr-30-04 08:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#3540, "RE: Ticking noise in the dash"
In response to Reply # 9

He said injector. Not lifter. heh duhhh

Ok thanks, I'll check out the injectors next time I hear it.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3530 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic