Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12921
View in threaded mode

Subject: "boost gauge stopped working, also a question about venting into the atmosphere," 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
chrysler kidAug-19-03 01:53 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12921, "boost gauge stopped working, also a question about venting into the atmosphere,"

ok i had a boost leak where the hose goes into the B0V, i got a new hose and fixed it. in the process i took off the connector from the bov to the intake, i covered the atmosphere intake part so it didnt leak, but when i was drivin it for about 5 min venting into the atmosphere, the car felt way faster and the boost gauge stopped working. i checked all hoses and wires in the engine bay and they seem fine, the gaige has power, when i check memory it works fine.

what could be the problem, and why is venting into te atmosphere bad? almost every eclipse in my area i have seen is venting into tha atmosphere.

11.65 @ 115

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
HybriDSMAug-19-03 05:15 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12922, "RE: boost gauge stopped working, also a question about venting into the atmosphere,"
In response to Reply # 0

Well venting to the atmosphere is bad simply because the amount of air that the MAS reads going into the system will be quite different than the amount of air actually in the system because ait that would normally be recirculated is lost. This causes problems such as the car stalling between shifts and other bad idle/operating conditions. Some people do it and get away with it, but for most, it causes problems with the operation of the car under street conditions.

I'm sure Jeff can answer it better, but as I understand it, it is generally frowned upon in manual transmission cars, unless you are running a blow through MAFT setup.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTAug-19-03 05:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12923, "RE: boost gauge stopped working, also a question about venting into the atmosphere,"
In response to Reply # 0

Since your MAS "counts" the air before it goes into the turbo, venting it back out into the atmosphere loses the air that's already counted. The ECU supplies the correct amount of fuel for the "counted" air and when that air is gone, the fuel stays and will make you run stupid rich when you vent.
You need a VPC or blow through style maf mounted in the uicp to accurately account for the air in the piping BETWEEN ht eBOV and intake.
Those DSM's that are venting in your area are not running the stock mas and if they are, they're probably blowing fireballs out the exaust in between shifts.
Get it?

-Tony
98'GST (soon to be neglected)
92'TSI AWD (soon to be modded)

eclipzgst@charter.net
http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM

chrysler kidAug-19-03 06:04 PM
7411 posts,
#12924, "RE: boost gauge stopped working, also a question about venting into the atmosphere,"
In response to Reply # 2

some what, but wouldnt venting into the atmosphere be good if you are running on the stock injectors and fuelpump? i mean with a good amount of boost, but then when i get my safc it wont make a difference i suppose.

actually i have never seen a dsm in my area that wasnt venting. every time i go to a car meet some one will tell me to take off the rubber hose, and they look at me crazy when i tell them that is bad for the car

11.65 @ 115

TeamJeff_99gsAug-20-03 05:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#12925, "RE: boost gauge stopped working, also a question about venting into the atmosphere,"
In response to Reply # 3

>but wouldnt venting into the atmosphere be good if
>you are running on the stock injectors and fuelpump? i mean
>with a good amount of boost, but then when i get my safc it
>wont make a difference i suppose.

No. This has been talked about and researched for years. Just put the damn tube back on

>
>actually i have never seen a dsm in my area that wasnt
>venting. every time i go to a car meet some one will tell me
>to take off the rubber hose, and they look at me crazy when i
>tell them that is bad for the car

Because everyone in your area is a ricer and doesn't know shit about these cars In fact I bet 80% of turbo DSM owners haven't the slightest clue as to how to properly mod their cars. They take them to a random performance shop and the jackass highschool kid that works there tells them everything they know. (which obviously isn't very much.)

chrysler kidAug-20-03 11:55 AM
7411 posts,
#12926, "RE: boost gauge stopped working, also a question about venting into the atmosphere,"
In response to Reply # 4

any i dead about the boost gauge? or is there a write up on how to install one some where?

Also my power locks just stopped working, i am worried my wiring harness is being saw'ed through again by rubbing from somewhere

11.65 @ 115

superdavesgstAug-20-03 12:13 PM
Member since Jun 22nd 2002
270 posts,
#12927, "RE: boost gauge stopped working, also a question about venting into the atmosphere,"
In response to Reply # 5

check your hoses, and connections on the back drivers side of the engine, thats where the problem ussually is, if nothins disconnected , i take it that your complaining about an after market guage , pull it out and check for the connections, it depends alot, thats basically all up to you lookin really hard , or take it to a shop, the venting stuff, get an hks vpc, that will allow you to vent, wel vent with no problems at least, and it might seen faster, but actully its slower,someone did dyno runs on dsmtalk on this topic, and it makes the car lose power.
laters
dave

soldier101Aug-20-03 04:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3862 posts,
#12928, "RE: boost gauge stopped working, also a question about venting into the atmosphere,"
In response to Reply # 6

do not vent to atmosphere, a buddy of mine had his venting when he bought it, i was like, uhhh guy, how is your car not running like shit? 2 weeks later it started stalling in between shifts n shit, put tube on, boom all better

turbo8u: "jiggle jiggle then vroom vroom pshhhh"
-Mike Pruett
2gnt member# 976
MOPAR Stage 2
SRTForums.com member #37 (Yeah, I signed up when it first came out, and ended up getting one, cool huh?)
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
- General George Patton (1885-1945)

chrysler kidAug-20-03 05:19 PM
7411 posts,
#12929, "RE: boost gauge stopped working, also a question about venting into the atmosphere,"
In response to Reply # 6

>check your hoses, and connections on the back drivers side of
>the engine, thats where the problem ussually is, if nothins
>disconnected , i take it that your complaining about an after
>market guage , pull it out and check for the connections, it
>depends alot, thats basically all up to you lookin really hard
>, or take it to a shop, the venting stuff, get an hks vpc,
>that will allow you to vent, wel vent with no problems at
>least, and it might seen faster, but actully its
>slower,someone did dyno runs on dsmtalk on this topic, and it
>makes the car lose power.
>laters
>dave

thanks a million mang, it was a disconected hose on the intake manifold. thnx !

11.65 @ 115

superdavesgstAug-20-03 05:42 PM
Member since Jun 22nd 2002
270 posts,
#12930, "RE: boost gauge stopped working, also a question about venting into the atmosphere,"
In response to Reply # 8

shhhhhhhhhh wanna secret, put some superglue, on hoses fitting that do that more than once, plus of course a hose clamp, GN guys tend to do that, it works, ive blow my off alot, til i did that.
laters

2004 white mach1
k&n fipk,Meziere w/p,mac headers,o/r prochamber, bassani c/b, ported heads&intake,php 3/8" spacer,accel coils & hardcore wires, comp 106400 cams,03 cobra flywheel&clutch,456gear,FR 31spline axles & center diff. steeda shifter & quad adjuster

2001 svt lightning
magnaflow C/B,4lb lower,accufab t.b.,lfp E fan, FR waterpump,punisher VB,obx headers

Vandy420aAug-20-03 07:33 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#12931, "RE: boost gauge stopped working, also a question about venting into the atmosphere,"
In response to Reply # 9

to keep mine on, I just grabbed the smallest worm type hose clamp at napa, it wasn't rated to go that small, but it'll make it, and it'll keep it snug. Just don't overdo it.

Cost: about 40 cents

Vand

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12921 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic