Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12188
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't)" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
Diceman19Jan-16-04 10:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12188, "Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't)"

i put some 89 in my stock car last week and i have noticed that i got some aweful gas milage. if i follow this trend, theoretically, i could put 93 in my rs and get better miles per gallon?

ps. the thread topic, dont worry about that little guy. (super troopers quote)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-17-04 06:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12189, "RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't)"
In response to Reply # 0

you shouldn't run anything less than 91 in a turbo car. You're gonna knock like a mofo.
The NT cars on the other hand are made to run on crap gas so if it's still pretty much stock, you could run 87 with no problems.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

HybriDSMJan-17-04 08:53 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#12190, "RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't)"
In response to Reply # 1

Turbo gas = 91 or more. Less is asking for disaster.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Diceman19Jan-17-04 05:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12191, "RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't)"
In response to Reply # 2

well, i only did it cuz gas was uber expensive and didnt feel like shelling out for 93. i did put about 4.5 gal of 93 mixed in. i havent been flooring it and havent noticed anything crazy.

btw. during my install of the oil pressure gauge, i installed the tap with some locktight, is there anything else i need to do to make sure it doesnt leak. and where are all your wires run(egt and oil pressure), i dont think i will have enough wire to make it to the gauge with the the way i have it running. the car is on jackstands and i am hoping to finish it up mostly tomorrow.

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-17-04 06:06 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12192, "RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't)"
In response to Reply # 3

I use teflon tape to keep stuff from leaking. Loc-tite to keep things from loosening.
I used some speaker wire I had lying around for a few guages that wouldn't reach. I doubt it'll make much difference. I soldered them and taped them up pretty good.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Diceman19Jan-18-04 02:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12193, "RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't)"
In response to Reply # 4

i have all electrical gauges so they have connectors on the end. how would i extend those?

TeamJeff_99gsJan-18-04 08:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#12194, "RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't)"
In response to Reply # 5

89 octane in a turbo DSM is moronic. You are really scaring me. I fear for your DSM's life.

Diceman19Jan-18-04 10:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12195, "RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't)"
In response to Reply # 6

it was only once.....i run 93 all the time till that last time.

Diceman19Jan-19-04 02:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12196, "RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't)"
In response to Reply # 7
Jan-19-04 02:32 AM by Diceman19

now, i am starting to get better gas milage, probly cuz i dont go over 45% throttle since i put the 89 in. almost time to fill up again so 93 will be goin back in. i miss boost so much! the guages are almost done. pics on wednesday. they work, that has to say a little bit. no leaks so far from the oil probe. will there be a slight burning smell when the probe is heating up for the first couple of times. none of my wires are running near the manifold and i put the 02 wire out around the dipstick because i couldnt get the heatshield back on. i am almost in the clear, but i do have wires goin everywhere in the car now cuz i pulled part of the gauge cluster out to tinker with the fog light wiring. thus is the life of a "project" car.

Vandy420aJan-19-04 04:14 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#12197, "RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't)"
In response to Reply # 8

I thought teflon tape was a no-no with anything even close to oil/coolant/boost because it flakes off and can clog things...

I could be wrong...

Vandy

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Vandy420aJan-19-04 04:26 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#12198, "RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't)"
In response to Reply # 9

P.S. is the 3 bucks (max) you saved on 4.5 gallons of 89 worth the potential of melting rings, detonation, or anythign else like that? And no, premium gas has NOTHING to do with gas milage, unless you're using the wrong grade, getting detonation and your ECU is doing weird stuff with timing. THe only way it could possibly help, and this is a really big stretch, is you put it in a car that you had previously been using the wrong gas AND reset the ECU somehow, then noticed a slight power increase and compensated by using less throttle.

CAUTION: LONG (duh) BUT BASIC STUFF ABOUT OCTANE--skip to summary if you don't wanna read

Gasoline is made up of 6 and 8 carbon chains, called hexane and octane respectively. Hexane is highly prone to detonation under pressure and heat, while octane is much more resistant. However, gasoline needs to be more highly refined to get octane over hexane without adding lead as a stabilizer, artificially boosting the "octane". When people say the word "octane" they are actually not using the word correctly. They (and gas stations) are referring to an average of detonation tests done with a single piston running motor and somethign else, can't remember, not important. They are estimating the percentage of octane versus hexane in a given quantity of gas(89 = 89% octane). This is misleading, because many companies use additives that may highly resist heat detonation and give a "score" of 100+ "octane", which isn't possible, but the gasoline may be volatile under pressure because of the higher quantities of hexane. Its just an average, and its not even that accurate, which is scary enough and is also a reason to buy decent gas.

SUMMARY: "Octane" is supposed to mean how many 8 carbon chains but really means resistance to detonation...but most companies don't tell you which kind of detonation, whether its heat induced or pressure induced. 87 and 93 gas contains the same amount of energy.

Whats also gonna really blow your mind is that ALL gasoline for a given area is the same stuff, only the additives are different. The Cont. U.S. only has like 3 pipelines total...so the shell and exxon on the corner are really only selling you their additives.

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12188 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic