Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5246
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Juice Box helped at Seed 9 Performance Rally!" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Feb-26-07 12:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5246, "Juice Box helped at Seed 9 Performance Rally!"

Thought I would share.

While I was helping to run time control at a couple turn around stages* this weekend at the Seed 9 Performance Rally just south of Vegas, the Galant was parked atop a mountain with a HAM radio repeater stuck to the roof. My Galant not only made it out to Vegas without any trouble at all, but enabled communication between the remote stages of the rally and net control back at HQ. It was very cool.

I even got 26mpg on the drive back. Phoenix to Vegas on 1 tank of gas in an AWD DSM. Not too shabby!

* Turn around stage: All the cars run the stage one direction, then turn around and run it the other way. Known for being a major clusterfuck because you have thirty or more rally cars show up and have to park in order while they wait for the last of the cars to complete the stage and controls to be set up for the other direction.

I'm looking to get some people to lend a hand at the Desert Storm Rally in Blythe, CA (on the AZ/NV border on I-10) the weekend of March 24th and 25th. We're looking for volunteer service crew to act as pit crew for a rally Neon. If you're interested, PLEASE let me know and I will do whatever I can to make it happen for you.

Cheers.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Moderator992gntMar-01-07 02:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5247, "RE: Juice Box helped at Seed 9 Performance Rally!"
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry I missed this Brian. Glad to hear you're having fun and getting involved. I'm doing the same thing with NASA here in the midwest. I volunteer every race weekend, and have really gotten to know a lot of the key people in the region and I have a much better understanding (and respect) for what goes on behind the scenes at an event like this. Keep showing your face and people will start to know you (and learn that you're not an asshat) and the next thing you know you'll be even more involved. It's a great way to immerse yourself in your passion for very little cash out of pocket.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD
'88 Chrysler Conquest TSI

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamDR1665Mar-01-07 03:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#5248, "RE: Juice Box helped at Seed 9 Performance Rally!"
In response to Reply # 1

Amen, brother. As it turns out, one of the CRS guys in SoCal is working on setting up some single day rallisprint events at Willowsprings. Think HPDE for rally cars. He's got three dates set for this year right now and I've asked him to sharee his proposal details so that I might see about setting up something similar at a track here in Phoenix. If we're lucky, we might just end up with six single day events with room for spectators for $200 entry fees apiece. That would be cool.

I'm getting pretty familiar with the powers that be too. The CRS director for 2007 and I email back and forth quite a bit and I've been getting to know the guy who used to organize the Seed 9 rally after this weekend. I tell you, Greg, if California didn't suck so much, I'd totally move there just for the rally people. I'm kinda burnt out on standing around in parking lots.

My goal is to have the Galant stage ready by the next Seed 9. That gives me about a year to tweak the suspension, install the cage, pick up the suit and helmet, install the trip meter (I've set my sights on a Brantz from the UK), and find a co-driver. That's really the bulk of it. It's not going to be easy, but it's possible.

Thanks for the read...

Moderator992gntMar-02-07 01:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#5249, "RE: Juice Box helped at Seed 9 Performance Rally!"
In response to Reply # 2

And this is how it begins. You do realize that very soon you will have all your money tied up in this, right? It is a sickness for sure. I may actually be doing some parking lot standing this summer, either co-driving a friends Evo or driving my own to fulfill sponsor commitments. If this deal I'm working on comes through, it will definately be the latter. Keep your fingers crossed!

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

TeamDR1665Mar-02-07 12:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#5250, "RE: Juice Box helped at Seed 9 Performance Rally!"
In response to Reply # 3
Mar-02-07 12:34 PM by DR1665

Haha! It's a $200 car with a $200 engine in it that I spent over $3000 to acquire and re-animate! Add to that I've got about $6000 into an all motor 2GNT just sitting in the garage waiting for some more money to clean it up for just-leave-it-alone daily driver duties for the next few years and I'd say I'm already living that dream.

Now what's this about you co-driving? Tell me you've seen the light and this is real, actual, co-driving (as in navigation) and not just ride share at high speed (a la ALMS).

Have you been out to a rally in your area yet? If not, I'm going to have to put you in touch with some fellas who will properly corrupt you.

EDIT:
I love my Talon, but when I think about how I could have been rallying my Galant for about two years now for what I've invested into the Talon... (sigh)

Moderator992gntMar-03-07 07:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#5251, "RE: Juice Box helped at Seed 9 Performance Rally!"
In response to Reply # 4

Co-driving as in sharing a car at a divisional or Pro Solo auto-x event. I've only shared two rides in my life - one when Jon K (AMS one Lap driver) drove my car at Mid Ohio last summer, and one when I was doing some 'instructing' for a friend of mine, also at Mid Ohio last summer. I really don't like being a passenger...

I haven't been to any rally stuff, there isn't a lot close by and I have way too much going on right now to be traveling to be a spectator. I'm hoping NASA's program (the SCCA program hasn't had a dirt event in at least 4 years) grabs hold here so I can check out an event soon though.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

TeamDR1665Mar-04-07 09:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#5252, "RE: Juice Box helped at Seed 9 Performance Rally!"
In response to Reply # 5

PM sent

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5246 Previous topic | Next topic